|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is Cesaire considered the originator of?
2. Who is Miranda's father?
3. Who is Ariel ?
4. Which role does the Master of Ceremonies say in the Prologue, he will choose?
5. Which style is Cesaire considered a major voice of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
2. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
3. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
4. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
5. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
6. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
7. Describe the Master of Ceremonies.
8. What was Cesaire's college career like?
9. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
10. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Prospero and Ariel? Describe each character briefly as individuals. then describe how the interactions between the two characters add to the complexity of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two conflicts within Cesaire's play and discuss how these conflicts aid in the creation of two different characters.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)