|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters select at the start of the Prologue?
2. Which political party did Cesaire join at the end of the war?
3. Why is Ariel unhappy in 1.2?
4. What does Caliban think about Prospero at the end of 2.1?
5. Why does Gonzalo scold Antonio in 1.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
2. Describe the God Eshu.
3. Describe the part of the tempest.
4. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
5. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
6. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
7. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
8. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
9. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
10. Who reunites with his son in 3.5, and what is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Cesaire's personal history leads him to create this play.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)