|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio think of Gonzalo's goal in 2.2?
2. What name does Caliban wish to be called by?
3. What body type is needed to play the tempest?
4. What does Ariel wish for Caliban at the end of 2.1?
5. Who in 1.1, demands respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
2. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
3. What was Cesaire's college career like?
4. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
5. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
6. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
7. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
8. How did Prospero end up on the island?
9. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
10. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Prospero comes on stage in 1.2 he carries a megaphone. What does he shout through the megaphone and what is the effect of that statement? What is the significance of the megaphone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)