|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which style is Cesaire considered a major voice of?
2. What did Prospero promise Ariel?
3. What does the Master of Ceremonies assign each person in the Prologue?
4. What caused Prospero to be on the island?
5. What does Gonzalo think of the island in 2.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
2. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
3. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
4. Who is Ariel and what is his role on the island?
5. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
6. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
7. Describe the part of the tempest.
8. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
9. How do Alfonso and his friends treat the Boatswain?
10. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term Prologue and discuss how Cesaire uses the Prologue to introduce the audience to his play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)