|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in 1.1, does Gonzalo say he wants to meet?
2. At the end of 1.1 what do the passengers sing?
3. Who is Alonso worried about in 2.2?
4. Who takes the table off the stage in 2.2?
5. What in 2.1 does Caliban ask Ariel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
2. How did Prospero end up on the island?
3. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
4. Describe the part of the tempest.
5. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
6. What is Ariel's opinion about Prospero's tricks with the food in 2.2?
7. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
8. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
9. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
10. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Cesaire's personal history leads him to create this play.
Essay Topic 3
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)