|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 2.1, what does Caliban insist Prospero does not have?
2. In 2.2, what does Gonzalo claim makes great fertilizer?
3. What is Gonzalo's goal for the island in 2.2?
4. In 2.1, what does Ariel dream about building?
5. What does Miranda cry out at the start of 1.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
2. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
3. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
4. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
5. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
6. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
7. What movements is Cesaire known for?
8. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
9. Where does Ariel visit at the start of 2.1, and what does he see there?
10. Describe Cesaire's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Cesaire's personal history leads him to create this play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)