|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cesaire's writing focus on toward the end of his career?
2. What was the occupation of Cesaire's father?
3. At the start of 2.1, what is Caliban voicing his opinion about?
4. What was the name of the journal Cesaire started in college?
5. Why does the person in 1.1 demand respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
2. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
3. When Cesaire and his wife moved back to his native land, what did they do?
4. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
5. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
6. Describe the part of the tempest.
7. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
8. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
9. Describe the Master of Ceremonies.
10. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Cesaire demonstrate the differences between the uncultivated world of the island and the cultured world of Europe. What message is he attempting to deliver through these contrasts?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Gonzalo and compare his actions to one other character. How do the interactions with this other character enhance the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)