|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to eat from the table in 2.2?
2. What themes does Cesaire's play incorporate?
3. Why does Prospero say to calm MIranda in 1.2?
4. Which island was Cesaire born on?
5. What is Gonzalo's goal for the island in 2.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
2. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
3. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
4. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
5. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
6. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
7. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
8. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
9. When Cesaire and his wife moved back to his native land, what did they do?
10. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two conflicts within Cesaire's play and discuss how these conflicts aid in the creation of two different characters.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)