|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Ariel and Caliban related?
2. In 1.1, who tells the passengers on the ship to return to their cabin?
3. What are Gonzalo, Sebastian, and Antonio worried about at the start of Act 1 Scene 1 (1.1)?
4. Who does Prospero consider to be the only honorable man in Italy?
5. What is Gonzalo's goal for the island in 2.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
2. How did Prospero end up on the island?
3. What movements is Cesaire known for?
4. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
5. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
6. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
7. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
8. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
9. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
10. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term Prologue and discuss how Cesaire uses the Prologue to introduce the audience to his play.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)