|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like as the play begins?
2. What is the name of the journal Cesaire starts with his wife in 1941?
3. What occupation did Cesaire's mother have?
4. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is left?
5. Who do Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio call for at the start of 1.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Prospero end up on the island?
2. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
3. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
4. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
5. How do Alfonso and his friends treat the Boatswain?
6. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
7. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
8. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
9. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
10. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two conflicts within Cesaire's play and discuss how these conflicts aid in the creation of two different characters.
Essay Topic 2
When Prospero comes on stage in 1.2 he carries a megaphone. What does he shout through the megaphone and what is the effect of that statement? What is the significance of the megaphone?
Essay Topic 3
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)