|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miranda cry out to at the start of 1.2?
2. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
3. What does Caliban think is better than humiliation in 2.1?
4. What themes does Cesaire's play incorporate?
5. What does Ariel wish for Caliban at the end of 2.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
2. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
3. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
4. What movements is Cesaire known for?
5. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
6. Describe the part of the tempest.
7. Who refuses to eat the food in 2.2 and why?
8. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
9. When Cesaire and his wife moved back to his native land, what did they do?
10. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two conflicts within Cesaire's play and discuss how these conflicts aid in the creation of two different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term foreshadowing and provide three examples of how foreshadowing is used in this play.
Essay Topic 3
How does Cesaire demonstrate the differences between the uncultivated world of the island and the cultured world of Europe. What message is he attempting to deliver through these contrasts?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)