|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
2. Which island was Cesaire born on?
3. What is Gonzalo's goal for the island in 2.2?
4. What body type is needed to play the tempest?
5. Why does Prospero say to calm MIranda in 1.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
2. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
3. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
4. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
5. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
6. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
7. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
8. What movements is Cesaire known for?
9. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
10. How did Prospero end up on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 2
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)