|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Prospero accused of?
2. What name does Caliban wish to be called by?
3. Who does Miranda cry out to at the start of 1.2?
4. In 1.1, who yells at Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio for their appearance?
5. What is the title of Cesaire's first non-fiction book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
2. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
3. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
4. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
5. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
6. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
7. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
8. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
9. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
10. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
How does Cesaire demonstrate the differences between the uncultivated world of the island and the cultured world of Europe. What message is he attempting to deliver through these contrasts?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)