|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ariel unhappy in 1.2?
2. In 2.2, who says "wondrous land can only contain wonderful creatures"?
3. What was Prospero accused of?
4. What is Prospero's reaction in 2.2 to the person's refusal to eat?
5. Who, in the Prologue, says "it takes all kinds to make a world"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cesaire's childhood.
2. Who does Prospero says is an honorable man in 1.2 and why?
3. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
4. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
5. What was Cesaire's college career like?
6. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
7. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
8. What is Ariel's opinion about Prospero's tricks with the food in 2.2?
9. Who refuses to eat the food in 2.2 and why?
10. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
Essay Topic 2
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
What role do fools play in Cesaire's play? Who are the fools in this play? How do they interact with each other? Choose one other character in the play and describe how the character interacts with the fools.
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)