|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Caliban wish to be called by?
2. Where was Miranda a princess?
3. What was Prospero accused of?
4. Who does the Master of Ceremonies not have a problem with in the Prologue?
5. What did Prospero promise Ariel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
2. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
3. Who refuses to eat the food in 2.2 and why?
4. What movements is Cesaire known for?
5. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
6. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
7. Where does Ariel visit at the start of 2.1, and what does he see there?
8. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
9. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
10. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term foreshadowing and provide three examples of how foreshadowing is used in this play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Prospero and Ariel? Describe each character briefly as individuals. then describe how the interactions between the two characters add to the complexity of the play.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)