|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gonzalo scold Antonio in 1.1?
2. What do Ariel and Caliban have different methods on?
3. What does Cesaire's writing focus on toward the end of his career?
4. What is the title of Cesaire's first non-fiction book?
5. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the engagement celebration held in 3.3?
2. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
3. Why does Antonio mock the king in 2.3?
4. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
5. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
6. When Cesaire and his wife moved back to his native land, what did they do?
7. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
8. What does Prospero give back to the nobles in 3.5?
9. Describe the Master of Ceremonies.
10. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)