Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors inform the passengers of at the end of 1.1?
2. What did Prospero promise Ariel?
3. What is a tempest?
4. What body type is needed to play the tempest?
5. What does Gonzalo see in the sky in 1.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
2. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
3. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
4. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
5. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
6. How did Prospero end up on the island?
7. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
8. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
9. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
10. What does Prospero do in 3.1 that angers Caliban?
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
When Prospero comes on stage in 1.2 he carries a megaphone. What does he shout through the megaphone and what is the effect of that statement? What is the significance of the megaphone?
Essay Topic 3
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)