|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero come on stage with in 1.2?
2. What does Cesaire's writing focus on toward the end of his career?
3. Why does the person in 1.1 demand respect?
4. Where does Cesaire move after high school?
5. In 2.2, who says "wondrous land can only contain wonderful creatures"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What movements is Cesaire known for?
2. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
3. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
4. Who is Ariel and what is his role on the island?
5. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
6. What was Cesaire's college career like?
7. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
8. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
9. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
10. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)