|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gonzalo say in 2.2 will be their responsibility if the island is uninhabited?
2. What is the weather like as the play begins?
3. Who is Alonso worried about in 2.2?
4. In the Prologue, what do the remaining people on stage do?
5. What does Caliban think about Prospero at the end of 2.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
2. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
3. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
4. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
5. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
6. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
7. What movements is Cesaire known for?
8. Who refuses to eat the food in 2.2 and why?
9. When Cesaire and his wife moved back to his native land, what did they do?
10. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)