Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors inform the passengers of at the end of 1.1?
2. What did Prospero promise Ariel?
3. What is a tempest?
4. What body type is needed to play the tempest?
5. What does Gonzalo see in the sky in 1.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
2. What does Ariel warn Caliban about in 2.1?
3. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
4. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
5. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
6. How did Prospero end up on the island?
7. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
8. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
9. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
10. What does Prospero do in 3.1 that angers Caliban?
Essay Topic 1
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)