|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Prospero's reaction in 2.2 to the person's refusal to eat?
2. Who does Miranda cry out to at the start of 1.2?
3. What was the occupation of Cesaire's father?
4. In the Prologue, how do the characters select the objects?
5. What are Gonzalo, Sebastian, and Antonio worried about at the start of Act 1 Scene 1 (1.1)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
2. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
3. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
4. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
5. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
6. What was Cesaire's college career like?
7. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
8. Who refuses to eat the food in 2.2 and why?
9. Describe the part of the tempest.
10. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
What role do fools play in Cesaire's play? Who are the fools in this play? How do they interact with each other? Choose one other character in the play and describe how the character interacts with the fools.
Essay Topic 3
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)