|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ariel say in 2.1, Prospero is better then Caliban?
2. Which role does the Master of Ceremonies say in the Prologue, he will choose?
3. Who dispensed judgment upon Prospero in Italy?
4. What was the name of the journal Cesaire started in college?
5. What was the occupation of Cesaire's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
2. What does Gonzalo think about the island in 2.2? What does Sebastian think?
3. Describe the Master of Ceremonies.
4. What does Ariel dream about doing in 2.1?
5. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
6. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
7. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
8. What movements is Cesaire known for?
9. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
10. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of power is present in Cesaire's play. Provide three specific examples of where this theme is demonstrated and in what context.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene where Gonzalo reveals his opinions about colonizing the island. How does it relate to Cesaire's message of anti-colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term foreshadowing and provide three examples of how foreshadowing is used in this play.
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)