|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio originally from?
2. Who is Alonso worried about in 2.2?
3. Who spoke out against Prospero in Italy?
4. In 1.1, who tells the passengers on the ship to return to their cabin?
5. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
2. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
3. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
4. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
5. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
6. Describe Cesaire's childhood.
7. Describe the Master of Ceremonies.
8. Describe the part of the tempest.
9. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
10. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)