|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ariel want to change Prospero's disposition in 2.1?
2. Why does Ariel say in 2.1, Prospero is better then Caliban?
3. Who dispensed judgment upon Prospero in Italy?
4. What was Prospero accused of?
5. In 1.1, who tells the passengers on the ship to return to their cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Master of Ceremonies instruct people to choose their masks?
2. Which roles does the Master of Ceremonies assign to the characters?
3. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
4. Describe Cesaire's childhood.
5. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
6. Describe the part of the tempest.
7. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
8. How do Alfonso and his friends treat the Boatswain?
9. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
10. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Gonzalo and compare his actions to one other character. How do the interactions with this other character enhance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)