|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 2.2, who says "wondrous land can only contain wonderful creatures"?
2. Where are Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio originally from?
3. What does Antonio think of Gonzalo's goal in 2.2?
4. Who spoke out against Prospero in Italy?
5. What does Alonso say in 2.2 is wrong with all of them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
2. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
3. What movements is Cesaire known for?
4. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
5. What is Ariel's opinion about Prospero's tricks with the food in 2.2?
6. Where does Ariel visit at the start of 2.1, and what does he see there?
7. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
8. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
9. What happens to the weather at the end of the Prologue?
10. What does Prospero give back to the nobles in 3.5?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 2
When Prospero comes on stage in 1.2 he carries a megaphone. What does he shout through the megaphone and what is the effect of that statement? What is the significance of the megaphone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)