|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the journal Cesaire started in college?
(b) The Paris Student.
(c) The Political Student.
(d) The Black Student.
2. What does Cesaire think of the idea that poets make terrible politicians?
(a) He this it is true.
(b) He thinks the idea is ridiculous but true.
(c) He does not care.
(d) He thinks it is ridiculous.
3. At the start of 2.1, what is Caliban voicing his opinion about?
(a) The wrath of Shango.
(b) Italian politics.
(c) The benefits of a vegetarian diet.
(d) Greek mythology.
4. What do the characters select at the start of the Prologue?
5. What positions do Cesaire and his wife take when they return to his birth place?
6. Who in 1.1, demands respect?
(c) The king.
(d) The captain.
7. What does Gonzalo suggest in 2.2, will make the fields bloom?
(a) A rain dance.
(b) Lots of rain.
(c) An ox and plow.
(d) Irrigating the fields.
8. What is the title of Cesaire's first non-fiction book?
(a) Communism at it's Peak.
(b) Discourse on Colonialism.
(c) French Grammar II.
(d) Democrats in action.
9. Which island was Cesaire born on?
(a) St. Croix.
(b) St. Thomas.
10. Who in 1.1, does Gonzalo say he wants to meet?
(a) The queen.
(b) The king.
(c) His bride.
(d) His maker.
11. Why does Prospero say to calm MIranda in 1.2?
(a) The storm is passing.
(b) This is only a play.
(c) Help is on the way.
(d) The ship is not sinking.
12. Why does Gonzalo scold Antonio in 1.1?
(a) He is rude to the captain.
(b) He is pessimistic.
(c) He is flirting.
(d) He is optimistic.
13. What does Antonio say the storm is a foretaste of in 1.1?
(a) The hell that awaits them.
(b) The beauty of the next day.
(c) Good fortune.
(d) Bad weather.
14. What does Cesaire compare the future of Africa to?
(a) A raging lion.
(b) A Phoenix rising.
(c) A sneaky cougar.
(d) A dying kangaroo.
15. How are the characters instructed to choose the objects on stage in the Prologue?
(a) Based on their character.
(b) Based on their hair color.
(c) Based on their position in life.
(d) Based on their height.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, what do the remaining people on stage do?
2. What does Sebastian think of the island in 2.2?
3. What are Gonzalo, Sebastian, and Antonio worried about at the start of Act 1 Scene 1 (1.1)?
4. What caused Prospero to be on the island?
5. What term is Cesaire considered the originator of?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)