|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Ariel and Caliban related?
(a) Brothers in slavery.
(b) Sisters in slavery.
(c) Cousins twice removed.
(d) Brother and sister.
2. Who spoke out against Prospero in Italy?
(b) Antonio and Alonso.
3. What is the name of the journal Cesaire starts with his wife in 1941?
(a) The Native Palm.
(b) Freedom Rings.
(d) Bonjour Amie!
4. In the Prologue, who does the Master of Ceremonies almost forget?
(a) The servants.
(b) The queens.
(c) The Gods.
(d) The villains.
5. What do Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio complain about among themselves in 1.1?
(a) The lack of pillows on the ship.
(b) The economy.
(c) The boatswain's manners.
(d) The captain's manners.
6. What was the occupation of Cesaire's father?
(b) Tax inspector.
7. In the Prologue, what do the remaining people on stage do?
(a) Join the audience.
(b) Choose roles for themselves.
(c) Leave the stage.
(d) Form the chorus.
8. Who appears with a table in 2.2?
(a) Sea Nymphs.
(d) Strange creatures.
9. Who does the Master of Ceremonies not have a problem with in the Prologue?
(a) The kings and queens.
(b) The knights.
(c) The juveniles or the villains.
(d) The orphans.
10. What does Antonio think of Gonzalo's goal in 2.2?
(a) He bgins to implement it.
(b) He comes up with a better plan.
(c) He loves it!
(d) He tells him to shut up.
11. Who helps Prospero create the item in 1.2 that brings the men to the island?
12. What does Cesaire's writing focus on toward the end of his career?
(d) Art critism.
13. What does Caliban think is better than humiliation in 2.1?
14. Which political party did Cesaire help form?
(a) African Nation United.
(b) The Raging Lion Party.
(c) Freedom Rings Party.
(d) Martinican Progressive Party.
15. What was Prospero accused of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Prospero consider to be the only honorable man in Italy?
2. What is Prospero's reaction in 2.2 to the person's refusal to eat?
3. In 2.1, what does Ariel dream about building?
4. What occupation did Cesaire's mother have?
5. Why in 2.2 does Gonzalo believe the food is returned to them?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)