|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like as the play begins?
2. Where are Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio originally from?
3. Who appears with a table in 2.2?
(a) Sea Nymphs.
(c) Strange creatures.
4. What does Prospero's prophetic sciences inform him of in 1.2?
(a) The storm.
(b) The men's arrival to the Island.
(c) The marriage of the queen.
(d) The end of the kingdom.
5. What is the title of Cesaire's first non-fiction book?
(a) Discourse on Colonialism.
(b) Communism at it's Peak.
(c) French Grammar II.
(d) Democrats in action.
6. Who dispensed judgment upon Prospero in Italy?
(a) The police.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) The Holy Inquisition.
(d) The princess.
7. What does Gonzalo say in 2.2 will be their responsibility if the island is uninhabited?
(b) Plowing the fields.
(c) Escaping the island.
8. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
9. What does Sebastian think of the island in 2.2?
(a) It smells.
(b) It is uncultivated.
(c) It is homey.
(d) It is beautiful.
10. Why does Ariel say in 2.1, Prospero is better then Caliban?
(a) He is richer.
(b) He is more handsome.
(c) He is more powerful.
(d) He is stronger.
11. How does the boatswain act towards the passengers?
(a) He ignores them.
(c) He bows to them.
12. What does the Master of Ceremonies think about the characters in the Prologue?
(a) They aren't the worst.
(b) They are terrible.
(c) The are evil.
(d) They are scary.
13. What does Caliban think about Ariel's ideas in 2.1?
(a) He is brilliant.
(b) He can't be trusted.
(c) He is on to something.
(d) He is crazy.
14. What does Ariel tell Caliban about Prospero in 2.1?
(a) That Prospero is dying.
(b) That Prospero is moving.
(c) That Prospero is plotting revenge against him.
(d) That Prospero wants to marry his daughter.
15. What does Prospero create in 1.2 to bring the men to island?
(a) A boat.
(b) A storm.
(c) A magic rope.
(d) An iceberg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characters are named on stage in the Prologue?
2. Which political party did Cesaire join at the end of the war?
3. At the end of 1.1 what do the passengers sing?
4. Which political party did Cesaire help form?
5. Where did Cesaire serve as mayor?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)