|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is left?
2. What name does Caliban wish to be called by?
3. What was Prospero accused of?
4. In 2.2, what does Gonzalo claim makes great fertilizer?
(b) Hay seeds.
(c) Scraps of food.
(d) Bear droppings.
5. What does Caliban think is better than humiliation in 2.1?
6. What caused Prospero to be on the island?
(a) He couldn't please the king.
(b) Lack of a compass.
(c) They were exiled.
(d) Lack of money.
7. What positions do Cesaire and his wife take when they return to his birth place?
8. What is Cesaire's play A Tempest based on?
(d) The Tempest.
9. What does Ariel wish for Caliban at the end of 2.1?
10. Who helps Prospero create the item in 1.2 that brings the men to the island?
11. Who do Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio call for at the start of 1.1?
(a) The king.
(b) The lady.
(c) The captain.
(d) The slave.
12. What themes does Cesaire's play incorporate?
(a) Colonialism and negritude.
(b) Love and hate.
13. What do the group of men hear in 2.2 when Ariel and Prospero enter the stage?
(b) A roll of thunder.
14. How are the characters instructed to choose the objects on stage in the Prologue?
(a) Based on their hair color.
(b) Based on their character.
(c) Based on their position in life.
(d) Based on their height.
15. Who is Ariel ?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A king.
(c) A queen.
(d) A bi-racial slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, what do the remaining people on stage do?
2. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
3. What is Prospero's reaction in 2.2 to the person's refusal to eat?
4. Who does Prospero consider to be the only honorable man in Italy?
5. Where are Gonzalo, Alonso, and Antonio originally from?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)