|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cesaire think of the idea that poets make terrible politicians?
(a) He thinks it is ridiculous.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He this it is true.
(d) He thinks the idea is ridiculous but true.
2. Who, in the Prologue, orchestrates the actions on stage?
(a) The Master of Ceremonies.
3. What are Gonzalo, Sebastian, and Antonio worried about at the start of Act 1 Scene 1 (1.1)?
(a) The storm.
(b) Their kingdom.
(c) Their wives.
(d) The king.
4. What caused Prospero to be on the island?
(a) They were exiled.
(b) Lack of a compass.
(c) He couldn't please the king.
(d) Lack of money.
5. Why does Prospero say to calm MIranda in 1.2?
(a) The ship is not sinking.
(b) The storm is passing.
(c) This is only a play.
(d) Help is on the way.
6. What is the title of Cesaire's first non-fiction book?
(a) Communism at it's Peak.
(b) Discourse on Colonialism.
(c) Democrats in action.
(d) French Grammar II.
7. Which literary device does Cesaire use to fight for freedom?
8. What does the Master of Ceremonies think about the characters in the Prologue?
(a) They are terrible.
(b) They aren't the worst.
(c) They are scary.
(d) The are evil.
9. How do the actors enter the stage in the prologue?
(a) In pairs.
(b) In groups of three.
(c) In groups of ten.
10. What is the weather like as the play begins?
11. In the Prologue, who does the Master of Ceremonies almost forget?
(a) The queens.
(b) The Gods.
(c) The servants.
(d) The villains.
12. What does Gonzalo say in 2.2 will be their responsibility if the island is uninhabited?
(c) Escaping the island.
(d) Plowing the fields.
13. Who is Miranda's father?
(b) The captain.
14. Who is Alonso worried about in 2.2?
(a) The king.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His daughter.
15. What does Sebastian think of the island in 2.2?
(a) It is uncultivated.
(b) It is homey.
(c) It smells.
(d) It is beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban think is better than humiliation in 2.1?
2. Where does Cesaire move after high school?
3. Which political party did Cesaire join at the end of the war?
4. Why in 2.2 does Gonzalo believe the food is returned to them?
5. What do the sailors inform the passengers of at the end of 1.1?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)