|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are true about Saul, except for which one?
2. What question has yet to be answered by the author in the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. Approximately how much time passes after the reign of Saul, before David's grandson enrolls himself into the ranks of Israel's army?
4. Why does David run away from Saul in Chapter 10?
5. What are castles now in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the mood at the end of Chapter 17? Explain.
2. How did Saul feel when he prayed?
3. Briefly discuss Absalom's relationship with his followers as seen in Chapter 20.
4. What does the author wish to accomplish by explaining the difference between Saul and David?
5. Discuss the importance of Sage in Chapter 21.
6. What is the purpose of Chapter 18 to the reader? Who does the author claim the reader to be: Saul? David? Absalom? Explain.
7. According to the author, why does Saul make decisions that can be misleading and dishonorable?
8. Briefly discuss David's followers.
9. Why did people call Absalom, David in Chapter 19?
10. What gift does David claim to have in Chapter 23? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Tale of Three Kings depicts a conflict between a parent and his son. Analyze the sources of the conflict and explain how the conflict contributes to the meaning of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout A Tale of Three Kings, symbolism is heavily used. Choose one of the three options to write about how symbolism is used:
1) The two portions of God's being.
2) David the sheepherder.
3) The spears Saul throws at David.
Essay Topic 3
Apply the story of "A Tale of Three Kings" to today's society. Do you know of any Davids or Sauls either in your life or in your society? Explain.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)