|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Jesse have?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, where do David's brothers go off to?
3. What animal does David encounter at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What portion of God's being from the Prologue does David possess?
5. What is the overall mood of the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what question drove the King mad?
2. Briefly discuss David's promotion given to him by his father. Explain David's new job description.
3. In Chapter 7, what answer is given to the question: "What can a man do when the King decides to use him for target practice"?
4. Why was David called home in Chapter 2?
5. According to Gabriel, what was the difference between a gift and an inheritance?
6. What was Recorder's purpose in the Prologue?
7. At the end of Chapter 3, what did God not have, but very much wanted?
8. In Chapter 6, what can one prove by returning spears that were thrown at them?
9. What can be inferred as to why the author does not detail the battle between David and Goliath?
10. What is the best definition of the term "broken vessel" in context to Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a scene in A Tale of Three Kings that you find especially memorable. Write an essay in which you identify the scene, explain its relationship to the story, and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 2
A Tale of Three Kings depicts a conflict between a parent and his son. Analyze the sources of the conflict and explain how the conflict contributes to the meaning of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Research the story of David and Saul. Compare it to this story. What are the similarities? What are the differences?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)