|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Native Companion, why doesn't she get upset about sexual harassment?
(a) They're just kidding.
(b) They're complimenting her.
(c) Otherwise she wouldn't have any fun.
(d) Otherwise they would harass her more.
2. Who does Wallace believe is the ultimate outsider?
3. Why did Wallace have a more difficult time playing tennis in New England?
(a) The courts are bigger.
(b) The people are more competitive.
(c) The rules are different.
(d) The wind was quieter.
4. At Wallace's games, how do people respond to a tornado warning?
(a) They ignore it.
(b) They gather together.
(c) They get in a ditch.
(d) They scatter.
5. How does Wallace describe the public restrooms at the desert competition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Wallace describes his tennis career as ______ successful.
2. Why does Wallace believe references to pop-culture are necessary?
3. Why does Wallace consider his style of playing tennis as "boring"?
4. Why does Wallace see fighting irony as "impossible"?
5. In Hix's argument, "Morte d'Author," American post-structuralists argue what about authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Wallace, do writers enjoy watching television? Do writers enjoy being watched? Why do writers watch television?
2. How does sexual harassment make a clear distinction between Eastern and Midwestern women for Wallace?
3. As an adult, what does Wallace see as the purpose of carnivals?
4. Why does Wallace feel the Desert Competition is appropriate for Illinois?
5. According to Wallace, what does television reference?
6. According to Wallace, was Image-Fiction successful? Why or why not?
7. How does Wallace suggest a writer rebel against the "new ironic orthodoxy"?
8. According to Wallace, what is a "Kmart Person"?
9. Why did the students argue with their professor's position that works should make no reference to a specific time period?
10. What caused Lynch's downfall in the movie industry?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)