|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lynch first become critically reviled?
(a) After "Blue Velvet."
(b) When he started working in TV.
(c) When he got divorced.
(d) After the second season of "Twin Peaks."
2. Why was Wallace fascinated by tornados?
(a) They are massive.
(b) They terrify people.
(c) They define the terrain.
(d) They don't follow rules of geometry.
3. The clogger competition leaves Wallace with a sense of a specific ______.
4. At the beginning of "E Unibus Pluram," what does Wallace describe fiction writers as NOT enjoying?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Being watched.
(d) Talking to people.
5. Why did Wallace have a more difficult time playing tennis in New England?
(a) The wind was quieter.
(b) The people are more competitive.
(c) The courts are bigger.
(d) The rules are different.
Short Answer Questions
1. In college, Wallace began to fall behind in his peers _______.
2. What does Wallace attribute his tennis success to?
3. Wallace claims that television teaches viewers that _______ is the most important quality in a person.
4. What natural disaster does Jim Edgar discuss with the press?
5. According to Wallace, why does watching television beget more television?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wallace feel the Desert Competition is appropriate for Illinois?
2. After listening to Governor Jim Edgar's speech, how does Wallace feel about Illinois? Why?
3. Does Wallace agree with Hix's argument about "authors"? Why or why not?
4. Why does Wallace believe cloggers have more fun than people at a rock concert?
5. According to Wallace, was Image-Fiction successful? Why or why not?
6. Why did the students argue with their professor's position that works should make no reference to a specific time period?
7. Does Wallace's visit to the stockyard barns affect Wallace at all? Why or why not?
8. What caused Lynch's downfall in the movie industry?
9. Why was Wallace assigned to the Illinois State Fair article for Harper's?
10. According to Wallace, what does television reference?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)