|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wallace believes that Lynch's films are the most successful when what is developed?
2. According to Wallace, why do Easterners take their vacations to be isolated?
(a) Because they love nature.
(b) Because they are antisocial.
(c) Because they're always around people.
(d) Because they are agoraphobic.
3. Wallace and other press are transported around the fair on a _______ powered tractor.
4. Wallace believes fighting technology lies in ________.
5. At the livestock barns of the fair, Wallace observes that horses are _______.
6. Why, according to Wallace, did Image-Fiction fail?
(a) There wants enough money invested.
(b) It succumbed to the same problems as television.
(c) People weren't interested in it.
(d) The concept was too confusing.
7. What movie does Wallace specifically cite that is directly influenced by "Blue Velvet"?
(b) "Six Degrees of Separation."
(d) "Reservoir Dogs."
8. What activity other than tennis does Wallace cite as using geometry?
(a) Video games.
9. How does Wallace describe the public restrooms at the desert competition?
10. Why does Wallace believe television is primarily detrimental to Americans?
(a) Because they are stupid.
(b) Because they watch so much.
(c) Because it's selfindulgent.
(d) Because it only discusses America.
11. Wallace learns that people enter the Junior Livestock Competition for ______.
(b) Their parents.
12. Wallace believes people recognize pop-culture references but are _______ with them.
13. What article of clothing distinguishes a "Kmart Person"?
(a) Their t-shirts.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their jewelry.
(d) Their pants.
14. Two women who mistake Wallace for working for Harper's Bazaar compliment him on his magazine's _________.
15. Gilder believes technology can be solved with ________.
(a) More reading.
(b) More technology.
(c) Less technology.
(d) More culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Wallace fascinated by tornados?
2. At the beginning of "E Unibus Pluram," what does Wallace describe fiction writers as enjoying?
3. What does Wallace attribute his tennis success to?
4. In Hix's argument, "Morte d'Author," American post-structuralists argue what about authors?
5. Why does Wallace call his tennis style "creative"?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)