|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discussing Hix's argument, what is Wallace's final opinion on the argument over "authors"?
(a) Neither side is right.
(b) It's pointless.
(c) It's an endless argument.
(d) It's too confusing.
2. What article of clothing distinguishes a "Kmart Person"?
(a) Their pants.
(b) Their t-shirts.
(c) Their jewelry.
(d) Their shoes.
3. What does Wallace speculate Lynch doesn't intend for "Lost Highway"?
(a) For it to impact anyone.
(b) For it to make sense.
(c) For it to win an award.
(d) For it to be successful.
4. What does Wallace blame for his failure as a tennis player in college?
(a) The lack of equipment.
(b) Windscreens on the court.
(c) The pressure from coaches.
(d) The overwhelming academic work.
5. The clogger competition leaves Wallace with a sense of a specific ______.
6. Wallace explains that "Kmart People" can only be found in ________.
(a) State fairs.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) Expo Centers.
(d) His town.
7. Wallace isn't sure what _____ everyone at the car race is waiting for.
8. Hix comments that he feels the post-structuralists' argument makes the concept of an author _______.
9. According to Wallace, why do Midwesterners take their vacations to be around people?
(a) Because they are claustrophobic.
(b) Because they need to be complimented.
(c) Because they need to belong.
(d) Because they're isolated otherwise.
10. Why did Wallace have a more difficult time playing tennis in New England?
(a) The rules are different.
(b) The wind was quieter.
(c) The people are more competitive.
(d) The courts are bigger.
11. When does Wallace realize he is no longer a Midwesterner?
(a) When he gets lost on a farm.
(b) When he notices he dresses differently.
(c) When he realizes he can't enjoy the carnival.
(d) When he can't understand the accent.
12. Why does Wallace see fighting irony as "impossible"?
(a) It is too powerful.
(b) People enjoy it.
(c) It insults those who question it.
(d) It's an integral part of the world.
13. What does Wallace observe about people dancing at a rock concert?
(a) They're too old to be dancing.
(b) They're dirty.
(c) They're can't dance.
(d) They're not having as much fun as cloggers.
14. Wallace believes that commercials have evolved into appealing to a sense of ______.
15. What is the key difference between Wallace and Antitoi?
(a) Antitoi cares about tennis.
(b) Wallace hits the ball as hard as possible.
(c) Anitioi is stronger.
(d) Wallace is more talented.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Wallace, why do Easterners take their vacations to be isolated?
2. According to Native Companion, why doesn't she get upset about sexual harassment?
3. As a child, what did Wallace believe the purpose of carnivals was?
4. When did Lynch first become critically reviled?
5. How does Wallace believe "Lost Highway" can be interpreted?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)