|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Wallace, did Image-Fiction fail?
(a) The concept was too confusing.
(b) There wants enough money invested.
(c) People weren't interested in it.
(d) It succumbed to the same problems as television.
2. At the beginning of "E Unibus Pluram," what does Wallace describe fiction writers as NOT enjoying?
(b) Talking to people.
(c) Being watched.
(d) Watching television.
3. Why is Wallace able to get into the desert competition at the state fair?
(a) There is no ID check.
(b) He bribes someone.
(c) They think he's from a different magazine.
(d) They need more participants.
4. What word does Wallace use to define "Lynchian"?
5. Wallace studied Mathematics in college because the straight lines reminded him of what?
(a) Lines of Midwestern geography.
(b) The grids of sudoku.
(c) His dreams.
(d) The windows of skyscrapers.
6. Wallace explains that Harper's Magazine has a primarily _________ audience.
(a) East Coast.
7. Why was Wallace sent to the state fair?
(a) Because he enjoys them.
(b) Because he volunteered.
(c) Because he used to work for one.
(d) Because he is a native.
8. As a child, what did Wallace believe the purpose of carnivals was?
(a) To entertain him.
(b) To inspire community.
(c) To make money.
(d) To praise God.
9. What is Wallace's explanation for why Midwesterners are alienated?
(a) Because their home is like a factory.
(b) Because they have different ethical values.
(c) Because they speak differently.
(d) Because they enjoy different movies.
10. Who are the majority of the audience of the clogging competition?
(b) Agriculture executives.
(c) Mothers and children.
(d) Other competitors.
11. At the livestock barns of the fair, Wallace observes that horses are _______.
12. Wallace describes his tennis career as ______ successful.
(a) Less than.
13. What does Wallace most like about the Expo Building at the state fair?
(a) There's lots of shopping.
(b) It's quiet.
(c) It's big.
(d) It's air conditioned.
14. After discussing sexual harassment with Native Companion, what does Wallace realize about East Coast women?
(a) They never get harassed.
(b) They don't enjoy anything.
(c) They enjoy complaining.
(d) They are afraid of men.
15. At Wallace's games, how do people respond to a tornado warning?
(a) They gather together.
(b) They get in a ditch.
(c) They scatter.
(d) They ignore it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Image-Fiction a response to?
2. While on the set of "Lost Highway," why does Wallace rarely see Lynch?
3. Why does Wallace believe references to pop-culture are necessary?
4. Wallace isn't sure what _____ everyone at the car race is waiting for.
5. According to Wallace, how do commercials respond to the pressure for people to stop watching so much television?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)