|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phillip do two days after returning to New York?
(a) He writes a letter to his father about his sisters.
(b) He asks Holly to travel to Europe with him.
(c) He calls Alex and says he cannot come to Memphis.
(d) He begins a series of weekly phone calls with his father.
2. What are some of Mr. Carver's earliest remembered adventures?
(a) Hunting and fishing at Forked Deer Farm.
(b) Fishing and swimming ar Forked Deer Farm.
(c) Swimming and hunting at Town Farm.
(d) Hunting and skeet shooting at the country hunting range.
3. What message does Phillip draw from his father's behavior in the car?
(a) Things were going to be just fine.
(b) His father was suicidal.
(c) Mr. Carver counted on his two companions not to take his silence personally.
(d) His father might not recover from this.
4. What is Phillip certain of in Chapter 8?
(a) Alex had a part in the situation.
(b) The minister talked Mrs. Stockwell out of the marriage.
(c) His sisters influenced Mrs. Stockwell not to marry Mr. Carver.
(d) His sisters hired someone to threaten Mrs. Stockwell.
5. How does Phillip begin his description of Mr. Carver and Mr. Shackleford?
(a) They are mature, and excellent dressers.
(b) They are shy and retiring.
(c) They are serious, not humorous or philosophizing.
(d) They are ruthless, and not concerned with others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in town when George Carver is born?
2. Where does Phillip travel to meet his family for a weekend get together?
3. What did Holly imagine she would do when she leaves Cleveland and moves to New York fifteen years before?
4. When does Holly's father die?
5. What do Betsy and Josephine tell Phillip in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what happens at the church? How does Mr. Carver react to the news? What does he say to Alex and Phillip?
2. In Chapter 8, Betsy and Josephine have prepared a bed for Phillip in their father's study. However, Phillip does not stay. He leaves his father and sisters and returns to New York. Why does he not remain and defend his father against his sisters? Why does Phillip leave so hastily?
3. In Chapter 10, why does George Carver move the family to Nashville when Phillip is five years old? Where does the family live? How does he establish himself and his family in town?
4. While flying to Memphis in Chapter 7, Philip thinks about his course of action with his sister who he fears are planning vengeance on their father. What does Phillip want to convince the sisters to do?
5. In Chapter 10, Phillip comes to a realization about his father and the move to Memphis. What does he decide regarding his father's move with the family to a new city to begin again?
6. In Chapter 8, how does Phillip react to his sisters' actions? How does Alex react?
7. When Alex arrives in Memphis in Chapter 7, he sees his father waving to him from the runway. Describe Father's behavior upon seeing Phillip. What is happening that day? How does his father appear to Phillip?
8. In Chapter 7, Phillip compares the life he knows in his father's house in Memphis and his apartment in New York. How do the two residences differ? How does Phillip feel about the contents of his family home in Memphis and the contents of his apartment?
9. When Mr. Carver dies in Chapter 12, Holly's father also dies. The two of them return to New York after the funerals, and continue their lives together there. Phillip describes them both as "serenely free spirits." What has caused him to characterize himself and Holly in this way?
10. In Chapter 11, Phillip allows Alex's car to remain in the driveway which blocks his father's car from exiting. What debate might be waging in his mind while he delays his father's departure?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)