|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phillip realize about his sisters while at the restaurant?
(a) They had asked Phillip to come for no reason
(b) They meddled in his love affair long ago.
(c) They were intentionally poisoning Father.
(d) They were both engaged to be married.
2. Who does Phillip call to meet him at the airport?
3. How long after the move to Nashville does Lewis Shackleford betray Mr. Carver?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Ten years.
4. Where do Holly and Phillip acquire much of their furnishings?
(a) Old estate sales and junk stores.
(b) The alley behind their apartment.
(c) The neighbors' cast offs.
(d) Their parents.
5. Where do Alex, Phillip and Mr. Carver go after leaving the church?
(a) To the airport.
(b) To Alex's house.
(c) Back to Mr. Carver's home.
(d) To a neighborhood bar for a beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Carver react to Phillip's arrival?
2. What do Holly and Phillip decide to do with their inheritances?
3. Where does Phillip allow Alex to park his car?
4. What did Holly imagine she would do when she leaves Cleveland and moves to New York fifteen years before?
5. Where does the family see Lewis Shackleford?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Phillip allows Alex's car to remain in the driveway which blocks his father's car from exiting. What debate might be waging in his mind while he delays his father's departure?
2. In Chapter 8, Betsy and Josephine have prepared a bed for Phillip in their father's study. However, Phillip does not stay. He leaves his father and sisters and returns to New York. Why does he not remain and defend his father against his sisters? Why does Phillip leave so hastily?
3. In Chapter 10, why does George Carver move the family to Nashville when Phillip is five years old? Where does the family live? How does he establish himself and his family in town?
4. In Chapter 12, Phillip gives the four leaf clover pendant to Holly. How does she respond? What does Phillip know from her response?
5. In Chapter 12, Phillip begins calling his father on a weekly basis. Why are those calls important to Phillip?
6. In Chapter 8, how does Phillip react to his sisters' actions? How does Alex react?
7. In Chapter 8, Alex, Phillip and Father pull up to the house from the church. What is happening as they arrive? Why?
8. In Chapter 9, both Phillip and Holly begin to understand their fathers and see them as people. Holly encourages them both to go beyond forgiveness and forgetting and aspire to true understanding. How does Phillip remember his father's life growing up?
9. During the drive from the church to Mr. Carver's home in Chapter 8, Phillip begins thinking of what his father might do next. What things does he think are possible? Why does he believe his father might do any of them?
10. When Mr. Carver dies in Chapter 12, Holly's father also dies. The two of them return to New York after the funerals, and continue their lives together there. Phillip describes them both as "serenely free spirits." What has caused him to characterize himself and Holly in this way?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)