|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Phillip's sisters live after their father dies?
(a) They move back to their own homes.
(b) They move to Paris.
(c) They move back to Nashville.
(d) In their father's house.
2. How is George Carver regarded by the townspeople?
(a) He is born under a bad sign.
(b) He is raised without manners.
(c) He is born under a lucky star.
(d) He is a spoiled brat.
3. Six weeks after the weekend visit, why do Phillip's sisters call?
(a) Father is writing a new will.
(b) Father has decided to marry Mrs. Stockwell again
(c) Father has decided to visit Mr. Shacklefore in Nashville for six weeks.
(d) Father is dying in the hospital.
4. What does the family decide to do together on Phillip's last day together?
(a) Have Sunday midday dinner together at the Inn's restaurant.
(b) Drive together and take Phillip to the airport.
(c) Take a Sunday afternoon drive in the country.
(d) Drive to another town for dinner.
5. What did Holly imagine she would do when she leaves Cleveland and moves to New York fifteen years before?
(a) Have a high powered literary career.
(b) Get an advanced degree in English.
(c) Write a best selling novel.
(d) Become a tenured professor at NYU.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Betsy and Josephine tell Phillip in Chapter 8?
2. What do Holly and Phillip decide to do with their inheritances?
3. What does Father say to Betsy and Josephine inside the house?
4. What are some of Mr. Carver's earliest remembered adventures?
5. How do the Shacklefords greet the Carvers when they arrive in Nashville?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 12, what does the reader know about all of the main characters?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Lewis Shackleford see his friend, George Carver? What traits does he admire in his friend?
3. While at Sunday supper with his family at Owl Mountain in Chapter 11, Phillip sees both Clara Price and Lewis Shackleford in the dining room. How does Phillip react to both of these important people?
4. In Chapter 7, what happens at the church? How does Mr. Carver react to the news? What does he say to Alex and Phillip?
5. When Alex arrives in Memphis in Chapter 7, he sees his father waving to him from the runway. Describe Father's behavior upon seeing Phillip. What is happening that day? How does his father appear to Phillip?
6. In Chapter 10, why does George Carver move the family to Nashville when Phillip is five years old? Where does the family live? How does he establish himself and his family in town?
7. In Chapter 12, Phillip gives the four leaf clover pendant to Holly. How does she respond? What does Phillip know from her response?
8. In Chapter 12, Phillip begins calling his father on a weekly basis. Why are those calls important to Phillip?
9. While flying to Memphis in Chapter 7, Philip thinks about his course of action with his sister who he fears are planning vengeance on their father. What does Phillip want to convince the sisters to do?
10. In Chapter 8, how does Phillip react to his sisters' actions? How does Alex react?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)