|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Betsy and Josephine refer to the women Mr. Carver begins dating after he dates older women?
(a) "Gold diggers."
(d) "Youngish women."
2. What does Mr. Carver represent to Alex?
3. What is Alex's wife's name?
4. How do Betsy and Josephine initially react to their father's dating?
(a) They are jealous.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are concerned.
(d) They are angry.
5. According to Phillip, how many children do Alex and his wife have?
(c) Five or six.
(d) Three or four.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alex first meet Mr. Carver?
2. Where does Georgie work before joining the army?
3. What city is described as a "land oriented" city?
4. How does Phillip react to his sister's descriptions of their dates and their love affairs?
5. Who is the first person Phillip meets at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Phillip discusses Alex's concerns about Mr. Carver. Phillip listens, but thinks that Alex may not know his sisters as well as he thinks he does. What does Alex fear will happen to Mr. Carver and why? How does Phillip see the situation?
2. In Chapter 2, Phillip relates the story of his sister Joesphine's experience with her serious beau, Clarkson Manning. What happens to to their relationship? What does Manning inadvertently do that changes the relationship between the two? How does Father react to Manning?
3. In Chapter 4, Alex also meets Mr. Carver. Where do the two meet, and what brings them together? How does their relationship grow during the course of the chapter?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, Phillip gives a detailed explanation of how the family's move to Memphis affected every member of the family. Who appears to have handled the transition the best? For whom was it the hardest? Discuss the impact on each of the four children and Mr. and Mrs. Carver.
5. In Chapter 2, Phillip tells of the end of Betsy and Wyant's relationship. What incident causes the beginning of the end of the relationship? How does Betsy react to her father? How does Wyant react? What is father's objection and how does he present this to Betsy?
6. In his letters to Phillip, Alex talks about Betsy and Josephine's involvement in the social scene in Memphis. In Chapter 3, Alex explains that the two women are rather considered a social institution in Memphis. But Alex also speaks at length about how the two women are the "laughing stock of the town." What does Alex mean by this? How does Phillip react to seeing his sisters when he visits?
7. During a conversation with his mother in Chapter 2, Phillip begins to explain how the move to Memphis has ruined his life. His mother laughs at him. How does this affect Phillip and why? How does he compare his mother before and after Memphis?
8. In Chapter 2, Phillip gives a detailed account of the traveling party on their way from Nashville to Memphis. Who went to Memphis that day? How many cars were in the caravan? Who did Betsy drive with to Memphis and why? What people outside of the immediate family moved to Memphis? Why did Father arrange for everyone in the caravan to move together?
9. As Chapter 1 opens, Phillip is alone in the apartment he shares with Holly Kaplan. Why is this the case? What are the things Phillip thinks about while deciding whether to go to Memphis?
10. Alex witnesses Betsy and Josephine relating stories about Mr. Carver in Chapter 6. How does Phillip describe Alex's reaction to the sisters' behavior in public?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)