|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once back in their routines together, Alex and Holly find themselves talking about what subject?
(a) Having a baby.
(b) Going to Memphis to see Alex's family.
(c) Caring for their parents but not wanting to see them.
(d) Getting married.
2. How is George Carver regarded by the townspeople?
(a) He is born under a bad sign.
(b) He is a spoiled brat.
(c) He is raised without manners.
(d) He is born under a lucky star.
3. What does Phillip do two days after returning to New York?
(a) He writes a letter to his father about his sisters.
(b) He asks Holly to travel to Europe with him.
(c) He begins a series of weekly phone calls with his father.
(d) He calls Alex and says he cannot come to Memphis.
4. What does Father say to Betsy and Josephine inside the house?
(a) "Welcome home, girls."
(b) "Why are you moving into my house?"
(c) "What are we having for lunch?"
(d) "Please leave me alone."
5. How does Phillip describe himself and Holly?
(a) "Free spirits."
(d) "Old bags."
6. What is Alex's plan for Phillip as the two men drive to the airport?
(a) Phillip should marry Holly Kaplan and leave Manhattan.
(b) Phillip should move to Memphis and donate his rare book collection to the college.
(c) Phillip should take his father away from his sisters and bring him to New York.
(d) Phillip should move to Memphis and live in the house with his father.
7. Who does Phillip see on the other side of the restaurant?
(a) Clara Stockwell and her husband.
(b) Wyant Brawley, his wife and their children.
(c) Clara Price, her husband and children.
(d) Clarkson Manning, his wife and their children.
8. What kind of car does Mr. Carver drive?
(a) A five year old Mercedes.
(b) A ten year old Rolls.
(c) A fifteen year old convertible.
(d) A twenty year old Cadillac.
9. When the Carvers return to Nashville, and the story comes out in the press, what does Mr. Carver say to his family?
(a) He never wants to go into business with anyone again.
(b) He never wants to hear the name Lewis Shackleford spoken again.
(c) He wants to shoot Shackleford.
(d) He never should have moved from Thornton.
10. Where do Alex, Phillip and Mr. Carver go after leaving the church?
(a) Back to Mr. Carver's home.
(b) To Alex's house.
(c) To the airport.
(d) To a neighborhood bar for a beer.
11. What does Phillip realize about his sisters while at the restaurant?
(a) They were both engaged to be married.
(b) They had asked Phillip to come for no reason
(c) They meddled in his love affair long ago.
(d) They were intentionally poisoning Father.
12. What news does Mr. Carver have for Phillip?
(a) He has earned a great deal of money on an oil well.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He has lost his desire to marry anyone.
(d) He has been diagnosed with lung cancer.
13. How do the Shacklefords greet the Carvers when they arrive in Nashville?
(a) They are angry at being awakened in the middle of the night.
(b) They are not home when the Carvers arrive.
(c) They welcome them and insist they spend the night.
(d) They say hello and send them to their new home.
14. What does Holly encourage Phillip to focus on in his family?
(a) Try confronting his father about all of his anger.
(b) Go with her to Cleveland to see her father.
(c) Hold a family meeting and demand Father's release from his house.
(d) Try seeing his father in such a way as to understand him as a human being.
15. What honor is bestowed upon George Carver upon graduating from Thornton Academy?
(a) He is class valedictorian for graduation.
(b) He is awarded Suma Cum Laude.
(c) He is class salutorian for graduation.
(d) He is a National Merit Finalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex do upon arriving at the front door in Chapter 8?
2. What thing does Philip remember most clearly about the moves in his life?
3. How does Phillip feel about his father before the man dies the following spring?
4. When does Holly's father die?
5. Why do the Carvers move from Thornton to Nashville?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)