|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Phillip draw from his father's behavior in the car?
(a) Mr. Carver counted on his two companions not to take his silence personally.
(b) Things were going to be just fine.
(c) His father might not recover from this.
(d) His father was suicidal.
2. What does Phillip realize about Holly?
(a) She works very hard at her job.
(b) She does not like receiving gifts.
(c) She must have had a serious lover just as he did long ago.
(d) She probably wants to have children.
3. What did Holly imagine she would do when she leaves Cleveland and moves to New York fifteen years before?
(a) Get an advanced degree in English.
(b) Write a best selling novel.
(c) Become a tenured professor at NYU.
(d) Have a high powered literary career.
4. Once back in their routines together, Alex and Holly find themselves talking about what subject?
(a) Going to Memphis to see Alex's family.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Caring for their parents but not wanting to see them.
5. What does Phillip come to realize his father has yearned for all of his life?
(a) Control and power over others.
(b) Individuality and otherness.
(c) Wealth and acclaim.
(d) Freedom and independence.
6. What is Mr. Carver doing in the car in Chapter 8?
(a) Talking to Phillip and Alex.
(b) Working out something in his head.
(d) Screaming in anger.
7. With whom does Mrs. Carver spend much of her time on the Saturday outings?
(a) Mrs. Shackleford.
(b) Mrs. Shackleford's mother and grandmother.
(c) Her children.
(d) Mr. Carver.
8. Who does Phillip call to meet him at the airport?
9. How long after the move to Nashville does Lewis Shackleford betray Mr. Carver?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Twenty years.
10. Where do Alex, Phillip and Mr. Carver go after leaving the church?
(a) To the airport.
(b) To Alex's house.
(c) To a neighborhood bar for a beer.
(d) Back to Mr. Carver's home.
11. How does Phillip react when Betsy and Josephine say they will return to their real estate business?
(a) He knows it is not true.
(b) He encourages them to stay at home.
(c) He wants them to and tells them so.
(d) He tells them they should move into their own homes.
12. How do the people in his family and of the town treat Mr. Carver when he is young?
(a) As one of them.
(b) As a bully.
(c) Like a little prince.
(d) Like a middle child.
13. What does Phillip do two days after returning to New York?
(a) He asks Holly to travel to Europe with him.
(b) He begins a series of weekly phone calls with his father.
(c) He writes a letter to his father about his sisters.
(d) He calls Alex and says he cannot come to Memphis.
14. When Phillip sees his father for the weekend getaway, how does Mr. Carver look?
(a) He is feeble and unhappy.
(b) He has lost his ability to walk without assistance.
(c) He seems to have shrunken, his hair has thinned, and his sight is bad.
(d) He seems to be healthier and happier than ever.
15. What honor is bestowed upon George Carver upon graduating from Thornton Academy?
(a) He is awarded Suma Cum Laude.
(b) He is class valedictorian for graduation.
(c) He is class salutorian for graduation.
(d) He is a National Merit Finalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phillip certain of in Chapter 8?
2. What happens when Mr. and Mrs. Carver, Georgie and Phillip are in St. Louis on business?
3. What is Alex's plan for Phillip as the two men drive to the airport?
4. How do the Shacklefords greet the Carvers when they arrive in Nashville?
5. What is the name of the book Lewis Shackleford gives to George Carver?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)