|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is one thing Phillip imagines his father will do next?
(a) Take a safari to Africa.
(b) Begin drinking heavily.
(c) Wait three months for Mrs. Stockwell to return.
(d) Lock himself in his room.
2. How are Betsy and Josephine dressed when Phillip and Father walk into the house?
(a) Both are wearing jeans and a button down shirt.
(b) Both are in wild clothing.
(c) Both are in fancy dresses and jewelry.
(d) Both are in brand new, modest gingham housedresses.
3. What does the family decide to do together on Phillip's last day together?
(a) Drive together and take Phillip to the airport.
(b) Drive to another town for dinner.
(c) Take a Sunday afternoon drive in the country.
(d) Have Sunday midday dinner together at the Inn's restaurant.
4. How does Lewis Shackleford view Mr. Carver?
(a) As a shrewd businessman.
(b) As a clever and funny man.
(c) As a heel and a clod.
(d) As a country gentleman with agrarian traditions.
5. What do Betsy and Josephine tell Phillip in Chapter 8?
(a) He may sleep in his old room at the top of the stairs.
(b) He can use the room in the cabana out back.
(c) He will have to sleep on the sofa in the living room.
(d) His bed is ready in Father's study.
6. How do the people in his family and of the town treat Mr. Carver when he is young?
(a) As a bully.
(b) As one of them.
(c) Like a little prince.
(d) Like a middle child.
7. How does Mr. Carver react to Phillip's arrival?
(a) He is relieved the plane did not crash.
(b) He is happy but confused.
(c) He is elated and asks Phillip to be his best man.
(d) He is frustrated because Phillip did not call ahead of time.
8. What honor is bestowed upon George Carver upon graduating from Thornton Academy?
(a) He is class salutorian for graduation.
(b) He is awarded Suma Cum Laude.
(c) He is a National Merit Finalist.
(d) He is class valedictorian for graduation.
9. What does Phillip realize about his sisters while at the restaurant?
(a) They were both engaged to be married.
(b) They had asked Phillip to come for no reason
(c) They meddled in his love affair long ago.
(d) They were intentionally poisoning Father.
10. What thing does Philip remember most clearly about the moves in his life?
(a) His sister's birds.
(b) His father's hats.
(c) His mother's furniture.
(d) His father's wardrobes.
11. How does Phillip react when Betsy and Josephine say they will return to their real estate business?
(a) He knows it is not true.
(b) He wants them to and tells them so.
(c) He encourages them to stay at home.
(d) He tells them they should move into their own homes.
12. When does Holly's father die?
(a) The year before Phillp's father.
(b) The winter before Phillip's father.
(c) He does not die.
(d) A year after Phillip's father.
13. What is Georgie doing during the Saturday outings?
(a) Playing with Phillip.
(b) Playing with children his own age.
(c) Talking to his father and Mr. Shackleford.
(d) Sitting by himself.
14. What news does Mr. Carver have for Phillip?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He has been diagnosed with lung cancer.
(c) He has lost his desire to marry anyone.
(d) He has earned a great deal of money on an oil well.
15. How does Mr. Carver react to the news Betsy brought?
(a) He says, "I don't believe it!" belligerently.
(b) He says, "You are all driving me crazy."
(c) He says, "Well, Phillip, please leave now."
(d) He says, "I couldn't care less."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Phillip call to meet him at the airport?
2. How does Phillips find he identifies with his father one evening?
3. How is George Carver regarded by the townspeople?
4. What does Mr. Carver say to Alex and Phillip after speaking with the minister?
5. Where does Phillip allow Alex to park his car?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)