|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex do upon arriving at the front door in Chapter 8?
(a) Begins arguing with Horace to move the truck.
(b) He refuses to get out of the car and drives away.
(c) Drives away without stopping.
(d) Walks in and confronts Betsy and Josephine.
2. What is the name of the book Lewis Shackleford gives to George Carver?
(a) The Autobiography of Karl Marx.
(b) The Biography of Mussolini.
(c) My Autobiography by Benito Mussolini.
(d) My Autobiography by Abraham Lincoln.
3. How does Lewis Shackleford view Mr. Carver?
(a) As a shrewd businessman.
(b) As a heel and a clod.
(c) As a clever and funny man.
(d) As a country gentleman with agrarian traditions.
4. What does Josephine whisper to Phillip on his way out of his father's house?
(a) The sisters were going to put Father in a retirement home.
(b) The sisters were going to find a new house for their father.
(c) The sisters were going to open a family business with Father.
(d) The two women were retiring from their business.
5. How does Phillip describe himself and Holly?
(a) "Old bags."
(d) "Free spirits."
6. What does Father say to Betsy and Josephine inside the house?
(a) "Welcome home, girls."
(b) "Please leave me alone."
(c) "What are we having for lunch?"
(d) "Why are you moving into my house?"
7. Where do Alex, Phillip and Mr. Carver go after leaving the church?
(a) Back to Mr. Carver's home.
(b) To a neighborhood bar for a beer.
(c) To Alex's house.
(d) To the airport.
8. What news does Betsy bring to Father as he is waiting to leave for Nashville?
(a) Lewis Shackleford died in his sleep the night before.
(b) Lewis Shackleford called and cancelled the plans.
(c) The stock market has just crashed.
(d) Josephine is engaged to be married.
9. How do the Shacklefords greet the Carvers when they arrive in Nashville?
(a) They welcome them and insist they spend the night.
(b) They say hello and send them to their new home.
(c) They are not home when the Carvers arrive.
(d) They are angry at being awakened in the middle of the night.
10. How does Holly react to Phillip's gift?
(a) She would never wear it.
(b) Loves it and puts it on right away.
(c) She has seen it among his things before.
(d) Asks him to return it and get his money back.
11. Who does Phillip call to meet him at the airport?
12. What message does Phillip draw from his father's behavior in the car?
(a) Mr. Carver counted on his two companions not to take his silence personally.
(b) Things were going to be just fine.
(c) His father was suicidal.
(d) His father might not recover from this.
13. What does Phillip realize on his trip home to Memphis?
(a) It is time to confront his father about the move to Memphis.
(b) It is time to forget his father's wrongdoings.
(c) It is time to forgive his family for being so strange.
(d) It is time to confront his sisters about their nighttime behavior.
14. With whom does Mrs. Carver spend much of her time on the Saturday outings?
(a) Mrs. Shackleford's mother and grandmother.
(b) Mr. Carver.
(c) Her children.
(d) Mrs. Shackleford.
15. What is happening at Mr. Carver's home?
(a) Betsy and Josephine are moving their father's things out of the house.
(b) Maud and Horace are moving out.
(c) Betsy and Josephine are moving into Mr. Carver's home.
(d) The movers are delivering furniture Father had recently purchased.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Betsy and Josephine dressed when Phillip and Father walk into the house?
2. How does Phillip feel about the furnishings in his house?
3. How does Phillip react to his sisters when inside the house?
4. When does Holly's father die?
5. What does Holly encourage Phillip to focus on in his family?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)