|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alex address George Carver?
(a) Mr. Carver.
(c) Mr. George.
2. How do Betsy and Josephine initially react to their father's dating?
(a) They are concerned.
(b) They are jealous.
(c) They are happy.
(d) They are angry.
3. Who is Mrs. Clara Stockwell?
(a) George Carver's fiance.
(b) Phillip's cousin.
(c) George's great aunt.
(d) Betsy's married sister.
4. What adventures do Betsy and Josephine write and tell Phillip about concerning their father?
(a) Dancing with young women in bars.
(b) Fishing trips with friends.
(c) Dating older women.
(d) Golf outings with older women.
5. How does Phillip get to school when he is a child in Nashville?
(a) He rides his bike.
(b) He rides his pony, Red.
(c) He walks with his mother.
(d) He takes the school bus.
6. When Phillip left his home in Memphis for New York, what is his plan?
(a) To leave home and travel to South America to find Clara.
(b) To leave the south and head for California.
(c) To return to Nashville to live and work.
(d) To leave unannounced and establish himself in the rare book business.
7. How old are Betsy and Josephine when their mother dies?
(a) In their sixties.
(b) In their thirties.
(c) In their forties.
(d) In their fifties.
8. Where do Holly and Phillip live?
(c) Long Island.
9. What expression do Betsy and Josephine use repeatedly to describe their father's dancing?
(a) "Attempting to dance."
(b) "Awkward movements."
(c) "Cane dancing."
(d) "Strutting his stuff."
10. What dance do Betsy and Josephine try and convince the bands to play?
(a) A polka.
(b) A waltz.
(c) A tango.
(d) A foxtrot.
11. Phiilip left his family home in Memphis before he was how old?
12. What does father do for work when arriving in Memphis?
(a) He opens a grocery store.
(b) He invests in stocks and bonds.
(c) He joins a small corporation.
(d) He sets up a law practice.
13. How old is Phillip when the family moves to Memphis?
14. Why do Betsy and Wyant stay behind in Huntington?
(a) To get gas for the car.
(b) To eat dinner and see a movie.
(c) To visit with friends.
(d) To elope.
15. In what year does George Carver move his family to Memphis?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Josephine's suitor related?
2. What is George Carver wearing on the first day he and Alex meet?
3. How does Phillip react to his sister's descriptions of their dates and their love affairs?
4. What quality in himself does Alex say he likes least?
5. What city is described as a "land oriented" city?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)