|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Carver talk to concerning his plans to interfere with Phillip's marriage?
(a) Alex Mercer.
(b) Betsy Carver
(c) Lewis Shackleford.
(d) Victor Manning.
2. What was the last name of Phillip's girlfriend in Chattanooga?
3. What does Phillip ask Clara in order to strike up a conversation?
(a) He asks for her phone number.
(b) He asks her name.
(c) He asks for change.
(d) He asks for directions.
4. What is the name of the street on which the family first lives in Memphis?
(a) Stonewall Place.
(b) Shackleford Way.
(c) Huxley Ave.
(d) Thornton Drive.
5. How does Alex's father define the best human being?
(a) The oldest person.
(b) The one who adjusts best to his circumstances.
(c) The most intellectual person.
(d) The person who has earned the most money.
6. Who does Phillip think he has seen entering the Patton Hotel in Chattanooga?
(a) His father.
(c) Betsy and Josephine.
(d) Alex Mercer.
7. What name does Alex use for addressing Mrs. Carver?
(a) Mrs. Carver
(c) Miss MInta.
8. In what car does Betsy ride during the family's move to Memphis?
(a) The family car.
(b) Wyant Brawley's car.
(c) The moving van.
(d) Georgie's car.
9. Where does Alex first meet Mr. Carver?
(a) In church.
(b) On the school playground.
(c) On the way to the library.
(d) At a soda fountain.
10. How does Alex address George Carver?
(a) Mr. George.
(b) Mr. Carver.
11. What does Alex regularly urge Phillip to do?
(a) Study law.
(b) Start his own business.
(c) Travel to Europe.
(d) Return to Memphis and teach.
12. Phillip believes Alex cannot see that underneath Betsy and Josephine's stated love for their father lies what other emotion?
13. Why does George Carver move to Memphis?
(a) To meet new people
(b) To start a new life after the problems in Nashville.
(c) To have a better social life.
(d) To join an old friend
14. What does Josephine give Phillip on the day he leaves?
(a) A check and a bus ticket.
(b) A check and a letter of introduction for an apartment.
(c) A check and a new car.
(d) A train ticket and a lunch basket.
15. What does father do for work when arriving in Memphis?
(a) He joins a small corporation.
(b) He opens a grocery store.
(c) He sets up a law practice.
(d) He invests in stocks and bonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip do with the gift he had plans to give to Clara but does not?
2. How does Alex refer to Betsy and Josephine?
3. Where do both Betsy and Josephine have their social debuts?
4. What dance do Betsy and Josephine try and convince the bands to play?
5. What nickname do the women in town have for George Carver?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)