|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Alex use for addressing Mrs. Carver?
(a) Miss MInta.
(d) Mrs. Carver
2. What does Phillip ask his mother to give him from her dressing table?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A gold pendant in the shape of a four leaf clover.
(c) A pair of diamond earrings.
(d) A gold ring.
3. Who does Betsy begin dating after her debutant ball?
(a) Alex Mercer.
(b) Lewis Shackleford.
(c) Clarkson Manning.
(d) Wyant Brawly.
4. What do Betsy and Josephine do to embarrass their father?
(a) Open a law firm of their own.
(b) Wear wild clothing.
(c) Drive a convertible.
(d) Stop their education.
5. In what car does Betsy ride during the family's move to Memphis?
(a) Wyant Brawley's car.
(b) The moving van.
(c) Georgie's car.
(d) The family car.
6. Where does Alex teach?
(a) University of Tennessee in Knowville.
(c) Memphis State University
(d) University of Tennessee in Nashville.
7. Georgie is often mistaken for a native of what city?
(d) New Orleans.
8. Where is the Blue Moon?
(a) Old Town.
(d) Vieux Carre.
9. How does Alex refer to Betsy and Josephine?
(a) "Those two stupid Nashville women."
(b) "Those two awful Nashville girls."
(c) "Those two awful Memphis girls."
(d) "Those two silly Tennessee girls."
10. In what year does the relationship between Clara and Phillip end?
11. Where does Phillip first see Clara?
(a) In the library.
(b) At the top of Lookout Mountain.
(c) On the army post.
(d) At the entrance to the park.
12. What are Alex's first words to Phillip?
(a) "Do you smoke cigarettes?"
(b) "Where did you come from, Phillip?"
(c) "How old are you, Phil?"
(d) "Do you have any sisters?"
13. What concern does Alex have about George's dating?
(a) Father will die before his time.
(b) He will spend all of the family's money.
(c) He will lose his inheritance.
(d) His daughters will interfere.
14. Where does Georgie work before joining the army?
(a) The state senate.
(b) The Small Business Association.
(c) A local hardware chain.
(d) His father's law firm.
15. When does Phillip's brother die?
(a) In Manhattan
(b) In WWII.
(c) In Vietnam.
(d) In Korea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Betsy and Josephine when their mother dies?
2. How long after the move to Memphis do Betsy and her beau break off their relationship?
3. Both Betsy and Josephine call to give Phillip what news?
4. What important event in Phillip's life takes place right before his sisters' calls about their father?
5. What expression do Betsy and Josephine use repeatedly to describe their father's dancing?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)