|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are Betsy and Josephine when their mother dies?
(a) In their thirties.
(b) In their forties.
(c) In their fifties.
(d) In their sixties.
2. Who is Howard's father?
(a) Georgie Manning.
(b) Lewis Shackleford.
(c) Joe Carver
(d) Alex Mercer.
3. What topic do Phillip and Holly argue about most often?
(b) Thier apartment.
(c) Their families.
4. Within a few weeks of meeting Clara, where does Phillip begin spending his Saturday nights?
(a) At restaurants.
(b) At Clara's parents' house.
(c) At used book stores.
(d) At the library.
5. Where does Alex teach?
(a) Memphis State University
(c) University of Tennessee in Knowville.
(d) University of Tennessee in Nashville.
6. In what car does Betsy ride during the family's move to Memphis?
(a) The family car.
(b) Georgie's car.
(c) Wyant Brawley's car.
(d) The moving van.
7. What does Mr. Carver represent to Alex?
8. How does Phillip react to his sister's descriptions of their dates and their love affairs?
(a) He is angry about their lies.
(b) He is curious and interested.
(c) He is happy for them.
(d) He is simultaneously amused and pained.
9. What people are responsible for helping Phillip leave Memphis to move to New York?
(a) Alex and his wife.
(b) Betsy and Josephine.
(c) Holly Kaplan and Alex Mercer.
(d) Lewis Shackleford and his wife.
10. When Phillip left his home in Memphis for New York, what is his plan?
(a) To leave the south and head for California.
(b) To return to Nashville to live and work.
(c) To leave unannounced and establish himself in the rare book business.
(d) To leave home and travel to South America to find Clara.
11. What does Josephine give Phillip on the day he leaves?
(a) A train ticket and a lunch basket.
(b) A check and a letter of introduction for an apartment.
(c) A check and a new car.
(d) A check and a bus ticket.
12. What nickname do the women in town have for George Carver?
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Mr. Bonaparte.
13. What does Phillip ask his mother to give him from her dressing table?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A gold pendant in the shape of a four leaf clover.
(d) A pair of diamond earrings.
14. Where do both Betsy and Josephine have their social debuts?
(a) Nashville society.
(b) Thornton society.
(c) Memphis society.
(d) New Orleans society.
15. Who does Mr. Carver confide in when he wants to block Phillip from marrying his girlfriend in Chattanooga?
(b) Alex Mercer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Phillip believe his father goes to the same nightclubs as his daughters?
2. What did Phillip begin reading upon spending time with Clara?
3. Who is the first person Phillip meets at his new school?
4. What other places does Mr. Carver frequent?
5. Where does Phillip first see Clara?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)