|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Phillip first see Clara?
(a) At the top of Lookout Mountain.
(b) On the army post.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the entrance to the park.
2. What people are responsible for helping Phillip leave Memphis to move to New York?
(a) Alex and his wife.
(b) Lewis Shackleford and his wife.
(c) Betsy and Josephine.
(d) Holly Kaplan and Alex Mercer.
3. What dance do Betsy and Josephine try and convince the bands to play?
(a) A foxtrot.
(b) A tango.
(c) A polka.
(d) A waltz.
4. What expression do Betsy and Josephine use repeatedly to describe their father's dancing?
(a) "Cane dancing."
(b) "Attempting to dance."
(c) "Awkward movements."
(d) "Strutting his stuff."
5. What are Alex's first words to Phillip?
(a) "How old are you, Phil?"
(b) "Do you have any sisters?"
(c) "Where did you come from, Phillip?"
(d) "Do you smoke cigarettes?"
6. What concern does Alex have about George's dating?
(a) He will lose his inheritance.
(b) He will spend all of the family's money.
(c) His daughters will interfere.
(d) Father will die before his time.
7. While in high school, what does Phillip begin collecting?
(a) Baseball and football trading cards.
(b) Rare books and first editions.
(c) Comics and action heros.
(d) LP's and 45's.
8. What does Father state as his reason for not liking Wyant?
(a) Wyant is not a good driver.
(b) Father does not like the Brawleys.
(c) Wyant is not trustworthy.
(d) Wyant is not from Memphis.
9. What name does Alex use for addressing Mrs. Carver?
(c) Mrs. Carver
(d) Miss MInta.
10. What is the name of Phillip's school in Nashville?
(a) Bruce School.
(b) Price School.
(c) Thornton Academy.
(d) Newman School.
11. Why does Phillip believe his father goes to the same nightclubs as his daughters?
(a) He wants to dance with young women in front of his daughters.
(b) He wants to show his family he is still young.
(c) They are the clubs his daughters talk about to him.
(d) He wants his daughters to see him.
12. In what year does George Carver move his family to Memphis?
13. How old is Phillip when the family moves to Memphis?
14. Many dinner conversations between Mr. Carver, Betsy and Josephine revolved around what topic?
(a) Betsy and Josephine's suitors.
(c) Real estate.
15. How long do the Carvers live in Memphis?
(a) Two decades.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Georgie die?
2. How long after the move to Memphis do Betsy and her beau break off their relationship?
3. Where do Mr. Carver and his grown daughters have supper on Sunday nights?
4. What do Betsy and Josephine do to embarrass their father?
5. The family's move to Memphis is a disaster for everyone except who?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)