|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason are the daughters considered the "laughing stock of the town"?
(a) Their inappropriate attire.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their business.
(d) Their father.
2. Many dinner conversations between Mr. Carver, Betsy and Josephine revolved around what topic?
(a) Real estate.
(c) Betsy and Josephine's suitors.
3. What people are responsible for helping Phillip leave Memphis to move to New York?
(a) Lewis Shackleford and his wife.
(b) Holly Kaplan and Alex Mercer.
(c) Betsy and Josephine.
(d) Alex and his wife.
4. According to Josephine, why does she not go out onto the dance floor and help her father who is obviously in pain?
(a) She does not want to leave her date.
(b) She wants him to suffer.
(c) She does not want Betsy to become angry with her.
(d) She does not want to humiliate and outrage him.
5. How do Betsy and Josephine refer to the women Mr. Carver begins dating after he dates older women?
(a) "Youngish women."
(c) "Gold diggers."
Short Answer Questions
1. What dance do Betsy and Josephine try and convince the bands to play?
2. How old are Betsy and Josephine when their mother dies?
3. What does Phillip do with his sisters' letters describing his father's nighttime activities?
4. What does Holly encourage Phillip to focus on in his family?
5. According to Phillip, how many children do Alex and his wife have?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)