|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holly encourage Phillip to focus on in his family?
(a) Go with her to Cleveland to see her father.
(b) Try seeing his father in such a way as to understand him as a human being.
(c) Hold a family meeting and demand Father's release from his house.
(d) Try confronting his father about all of his anger.
2. What do Betsy and Josephine tell Phillip about their father's dress and appearance at these clubs?
(a) He still dresses with care and elegance.
(b) He is no longer concerned with his looks.
(c) He has become sloppy in his appearance.
(d) He forgets to tuck his shirt in sometimes.
3. Once back in their routines together, Alex and Holly find themselves talking about what subject?
(a) Going to Memphis to see Alex's family.
(b) Having a baby.
(c) Caring for their parents but not wanting to see them.
(d) Getting married.
4. What did Holly imagine she would do when she leaves Cleveland and moves to New York fifteen years before?
(a) Get an advanced degree in English.
(b) Become a tenured professor at NYU.
(c) Have a high powered literary career.
(d) Write a best selling novel.
5. How does Phillip react to his sister's descriptions of their dates and their love affairs?
(a) He is happy for them.
(b) He is angry about their lies.
(c) He is simultaneously amused and pained.
(d) He is curious and interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Betsy and Josephine refer to the women Mr. Carver begins dating after he dates older women?
2. What are some of Mr. Carver's earliest remembered adventures?
3. What tone infects Betsy's written description of the people with whom her father is night clubbing?
4. What does Phillip come to realize his father has yearned for all of his life?
5. What do Alex and Holly talk about when he goes to see her at her apartment?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)