|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Jen's father?
2. How many siblings does Rhian have?
3. Why does Taliesin fight on the front lines?
4. What does Jen tell her father would help the family be happy?
5. What causes Peter to fall behind in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter jealous of Jen at the beginning of the book?
2. What is strange about the place where the group takes shelter on their second hike with Jen?
3. What does Peter confide in Becky, and why?
4. How did Peter find the metal object in the bog?
5. What does Jen say about the person that Peter thinks is Taliesin?
6. What does Becky pester Jen about during the Christmas preparations?
7. What does Peter think about during the carol concert?
8. Why does Jen want to take Becky to see Dr. Rhys?
9. After being put in a panic by Peter, what wakes the family up during the night?
10. What does Taliesin promise the king before the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Dr. Rhys's ideas about magic and science, and how has this affected his career?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Nancy Bond have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)