|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the others not care to eat the food prepared by Billy and the narrator?
2. What does the narrator give Philip for his trip?
3. What type of performance do Philip and Anne-Marie see while on their trip?
4. Who does Philip visit in Chapter 29?
5. To whom is Philip introduced while in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Salter uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
A SPORT AND A PASTIME is a classic story of the search for identity and purpose. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)