|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish does Philip say he would be?
2. What does the narrator learn about Claude Picquet?
3. Who does Philip visit in Chapter 29?
4. Which sexual roleplay scenario do Philip and Anne-Marie particularly enjoy?
5. Where do the narrator and Anne-Marie meet some time after Philip's departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Salter's use of symbolism and imagery in the story as related to the the car and driving. What does the car represent? Which characters are especially affected by the car and driving and what do they mean to them?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in France during the 1960s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)