|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Philip's mother die when he was a boy?
2. Why is Anne-Marie miffed while at dinner with Philip?
3. What is the narrator's destination city?
4. According to Cristina, a photographer has as much artistic license as ________________.
5. What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Philip's life changed from one of ease to one of extreme ambiguity and what could be considered a factor in his way of life now?
2. What is ironic about Philip's situation?
3. What is revealed about Philip's personality from his actions?
4. What are Philip's feelings about Anne-Marie and any future they might have in Chapter 16?
5. Is the narrator's trip to Autun real or imagined?
6. What can be said about the narrator's reducing women to little more than sexual objects?
7. What are the circumstances in which the narrator meets Philip Dean?
8. How does the meaning of "duration" vary for the narrator, Philip and Anne-Marie in the context of their lives?
9. Explain the correlation the author makes between Philip's soon-to-be-extinguished life and Philip and Anne-Marie engaging in anal sex.
10. What is at the core of Philip attraction to Anne-Marie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator, Anne-Marie, Cristina and Billy. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in France during the 1960s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
Salter's use of symbolism and imagery in the story as related to the the car and driving. What does the car represent? Which characters are especially affected by the car and driving and what do they mean to them?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)