|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the narrator NOT do as he adjusts to Autun?
(a) Appreciates the simplicity of village life.
(b) Takes in the town's beauty.
(c) Makes renovations on the house.
(d) Strolls around the town.
2. At what type of business does Monsieur Jobs work?
(a) Law firm.
(b) Glove factory.
(c) Glass factory.
3. What is the nature of the narrator's relationship with Claude?
(a) They used to date.
(b) They are engaged.
(c) He has sexual fantasies of her.
(d) They are dating casually.
4. What is the phase in a person's life when he abandons the world when it becomes too much to bear?
5. Who is the waitress that the narrator meets while in his reverie of Autun?
(a) Madame Parquet.
(b) Jeanne Marie.
(c) Marne Beauchamps.
(d) Madame Picquet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game are the local children playing when the narrator sees them?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Philip?
3. What does the narrator think about a good-looking boy he sees at the bar?
4. How many lovers has Anne-Marie had before Philip?
5. What subject does Philip tutor for the Jobses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of view of the novel?
2. Explain why Philip is so annoyed by Anne-Marie's friend, Danielle.
3. What is the state of Billy and Cristina's marriage when the narrator returns to Paris to visit them?
4. What part does arrogance play in the narrator's solitary lifestyle?
5. Even though he is primarily an observer, what other elements of the narrator's psyche enter into the development of his stories?
6. What is the nature of the narrator's documentation project in Chapter 20?
7. How does Anne-Marie intuitively feel about her relationship with Philip?
8. Why is the narrator leaving one city and what is his destination as the novel begins?
9. How do thoughts of Philip and Anne-Marie's intimacy make the narrator feel even more alone?
10. Describe the two extremes of feelings that Philip has regarding Anne-Marie.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)