|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offer does Billy make to the narrator?
(a) To stay at his house in Autun.
(b) To borrow his car.
(c) To stay in his New York apartment.
(d) To get his a job with his father's firm.
2. Who are the friends of the narrator's who own the house?
(a) The Westons.
(b) The Weatherleys.
(c) The Wheatlands.
(d) The Westmorelands.
3. Who is the journalist with whom the narrator speaks at the party?
4. Which of the following do Philip and Anne-Marie NOT do the next day?
(a) Walk along the river.
(b) Have breakfast in bed.
(c) Have sex.
(d) Go to a movie.
5. To where is the narrator traveling?
(a) The French countryside.
(b) The Italian Alps.
(c) The Riviera beaches.
(d) His hometown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a source of information for the narrator regarding his stories of Philip and Anne-Marie?
2. According to Cristina, a photographer has as much artistic license as ________________.
3. Which university did Philip attend?
4. Who becomes Philip's lover in Chapter 8?
5. What does the narrator wish he had the courage to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator reconnect with Philip Dean?
2. What is the reason for Philip's visit to his father in Paris?
3. Is the narrator's trip to Autun real or imagined?
4. What is the outcome of Cristina and Billy's attempt to fix the narrator up with their friend, Alix?
5. How do Philip and Anne-Marie view the relationship from cross purposes?
6. How does the author provide some foreshadowing of Philip's future?
7. What is the nature of the narrator's documentation project in Chapter 20?
8. How does the author foreshadow Philip's death as he and Anne-Marie drive to the countryside?
9. How does the author literally and figuratively use foreshadowing of Philip's death in the fortune teller scenario?
10. What is the state of Billy and Cristina's marriage when the narrator returns to Paris to visit them?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)