|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that holds the narrator back in his living experience in Autun?
(a) His imperfect French.
(b) His shyness.
(c) His depression.
(d) His lack of money.
2. With whom has Anne-Marie shared information about her affair with Philip?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
3. Where does the narrator go after seeing the children's game?
(a) A museum.
(b) A library.
(d) A cafe.
4. What will inevitably follow Philip's time of wandering?
5. From what country has Philip Dean just returned?
6. What offer does Billy make to the narrator?
(a) To get his a job with his father's firm.
(b) To borrow his car.
(c) To stay at his house in Autun.
(d) To stay in his New York apartment.
7. Which of the following does NOT describe how Philip behaves toward Anne-Marie in public?
8. Who arrives unexpectedly in Autun?
(a) The narrator's ex-wife.
9. What is the phase in a person's life when he abandons the world when it becomes too much to bear?
10. What does Philip notice about Anne-Marie's body when they shower together?
(a) She has blemishes on her back.
(b) She is sway-backed.
(c) She has several surgical scars.
(d) She has tan lines.
11. Which of the following does NOT happen when Philip kisses Anne-Marie in her bedroom?
(a) Dean leaves.
(b) She pulls away.
(c) They make love.
(d) She puts on her pajamas.
12. What body marks does the chubby woman on the train have?
(b) Purple birthmarks.
13. Why does Danielle annoy Philip?
(a) She smokes incessantly.
(b) She is a reminder that Anne-Marie has a life apart from him.
(c) She never pays for her own meal.
(d) She chews with her mouth open.
14. What hobby does Cristina enjoy?
(c) Stamp collecting.
15. What does Cristina tell the narrator he should be?
(a) A sculptor.
(b) A painter.
(c) A professor.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby does the narrator enjoy?
2. What do the narrator's thoughts continue to revolve around in Chapter 10?
3. What is the main reason Philip spends time with Anne-Marie.
4. What subject does Philip tutor for the Jobses?
5. Which of the following best describes Philip?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)