Chapters 1 - 3
• As the story begins, the narrator describes traveling out of Paris, a city he loathes for its artificiality and bustle.
• The narrator's destination is a small rural town called Autun.
• The narrator notes the characteristics of the people around him on the train and then falls asleep.
• The narrator awakens and can see the house in which he will be staying, owned by his friends, the Wheatlands.
• On his first full day in Autun, the narrator strolls around town, taking in the beauty and simplicity of village life.
• The narrator suddenly snaps back to reality--he has not really moved to Autun but has visited--but hopes to do so soon.
• The narrator is in a Paris hotel room with his friends, Cristina and Billy Wheatland.
• Cristina is the daughter of an ambassador who has come to hate her home country, America, and Billy is a retired hockey...
This section contains 2,310 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)