|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT one of the groups of needy that Melody says she wants to help when she is away from the Professor and Jeff?
2. The three women talk about the unfairness of _____________ as they continue to fill envelopes.
3. Who is waiting for Jeff when he arrives at Gambo's house after Melody and her boyfriend drop him off?
4. The Professor decides they need a ________________ to help them take care of Jeff and the house.
5. What does Jeff decide to send to Melody for Christmas as he believes it is as perfect as his love for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jeff bring back from Charleston for Brother Thomas to enjoy?
2. Why are the two women at the house surprised to be introduced to Jeff by Melody?
3. What does Jeff do when he goes to the island for one final time in Charleston?
4. What does Jeff do in order to feel healed and to feel at home once more?
5. What does the heron seem to be saying to Jeff as Jeff notices it flying across the island?
6. What does Jeff do when he feels like crying in order to avoid making a scene with his father?
7. Why does Jeff feel that his schooling is a waste of time and a waste of money?
8. What does Brother Thomas do when Jeff reveals he has not eaten dinner or breakfast?
9. What does the Professor give to Jeff for Christmas, which causes Jeff to cry?
10. What doesn't Jeff mind about waiting at the airport for his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeff does a number of things in order to try to escape his feelings and his troubles.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff is draw to the marshes when he is out living with his mom?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff goes to the roller coasters in order to escape his feelings?
Part 3: Do you think it's every possible to escape your feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Melody decides she wants custody of Jeff, he responds in a different way than he might have expected a few years earlier.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff reacts in the way he does when Melody decides she wants custody?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor acts in the way he does when Melody decides she wants custody?
Part 3: Why do you think Melody decides she wants custody of Jeff after all of these years?
Essay Topic 3
The complexity of the relationships in this story mirror so many other families in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think the adults in this story seem to have so many troubles with their relationships?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff is put into the middle of the problems with his parents?
Part 3: Why do you think relationships are so difficult?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)