|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time was Jeff's plane supposed to leave, which gave him little time to make it?
2. _____________ apologizes to Jeff for allowing him to get so sick and for not scheduling regular check-ups.
3. Melody asks Jeff is life is very ____________ for him, though she then tells him not to answer and make her feel guiltier.
4. Jeff was once told that his father's ___________ department was in shambles because the Professor didn't publish.
5. Which airport does Jeff arrive at in order to meet with his mother when she picks him up for a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the picture Melody painted once that made Jeff wake up worried during the night?
2. What does the Professor give to Jeff for Christmas, which causes Jeff to cry?
3. Who is waiting for Jeff at the train station when he arrives back home?
4. What doesn't Jeff mind about waiting at the airport for his mother?
5. What does Melody tell Jeff about the river in Charleston when they are out exploring the tow?
6. What does Jeff say when Brother Thomas asks Jeff if he will go back to visit Melody the next summer?
7. Why are the two women at the house surprised to be introduced to Jeff by Melody?
8. What does the Professor do when he reads the note that was left for him from Melody?
9. What does Jeff do in order to feel healed and to feel at home once more?
10. What is the reason that Melody gives to Jeff for leaving him and the Professor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Jeff realizes his mother never did understand the idea of value, though he realizes he can - and does.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff's mother was so focused on money?
Part 2: Why do you think Melody is as damaged as she is in this story?
Part 3: Do you think there is any hope for Melody to become a supportive parent for Jeff? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of Dicey seems to bring joy into Jeff's life, giving him a place to be comfortable and loved at the Tillerman home.
Part 1: Why do you think Dicey and Jeff get along so well?
Part 2: What do you think the relationship between Dicey and Jeff will turn out to be after the story ends? Why?
Part 3: Why does the Tillerman family take so well to Jeff?
Essay Topic 3
It is revealed that Jeff is actually a very smart man, though his mother and others were quick to point out his faults.
Part 1: Why do you think Melody wanted Jeff to feel as though he was not smart?
Part 2: Why do you think the Professor didn't push Jeff harder in school?
Part 3: Do you think Jeff was a smart student all along? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)