|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeff bring back for Brother Thomas from Charleston when he visited his mother?
2. Who pays for the lunch that Melody and Jeff share in a nice restaurant in town?
3. Melody's boyfriend refuses to bring Jeff to a party he is working that night. What is the profession of the boyfriend?
4. Jeff becomes talented at reading the Professor's ____________ and figuring out what he might want.
5. Jeff realizes he can hear the joking between Thomas and the Professor and enjoy the conversation because of ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff do in order to stay in contact with his mother, Melody, after he returns home?
2. Why does Jeff make himself stop crying when he is reading the letter from his mother, Melody?
3. What is happening at the house where Melody says that she and Jeff need to stop?
4. What does Brother Thomas do when Jeff reveals he has not eaten dinner or breakfast?
5. What does Jeff realize as night falls when he is on the island's land?
6. Why are the two women at the house surprised to be introduced to Jeff by Melody?
7. What does Jeff see as he lingers a bit on more on the island before returning to Baltimore?
8. What doesn't Jeff mind about waiting at the airport for his mother?
9. What does Jeff do the first morning he is with his mom which ends up upsetting her?
10. What does the heron seem to be saying to Jeff as Jeff notices it flying across the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeff's mom seems to be a character who is lost in herself and lost in her baser needs.
Part 1: Do you think Jeff's mother, Melody, is a good person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff's mother doesn't try to spend more time with Jeff?
Part 3: Why do you think Jeff's mother decided to walk out on her family?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Jeff realizes his mother never did understand the idea of value, though he realizes he can - and does.
Part 1: Why do you think Jeff's mother was so focused on money?
Part 2: Why do you think Melody is as damaged as she is in this story?
Part 3: Do you think there is any hope for Melody to become a supportive parent for Jeff? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the story is "A Solitary Blue," and while the imagery comes to life later in the story, there are more layers to this title's meaning.
Part 1: Why do you think this title was chosen for this story?
Part 2: In what ways do all of the characters experience solitude?
Part 3: Why is solitude an important motif in this story? What does it say about relationships?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)