|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeff use to carry a bundle of food with him to the island?
2. Melody tells Jeff that Gambo has had ______________ and is very weak as a result.
3. Jeff sees himself as Melody's _____________, faithful no matter what.
4. Jeff realizes he can hear the joking between Thomas and the Professor and enjoy the conversation because of ____________.
5. Jeff looks into the mirror and sees that he has his mother's ____________ eyes and this makes him feel better.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeff do in order to stay in contact with his mother, Melody, after he returns home?
2. What does Max tell Jeff about the relationship between Melody and the Professor?
3. What did Jeff bring back from Charleston for Brother Thomas to enjoy?
4. What does Brother Thomas do when Jeff reveals he has not eaten dinner or breakfast?
5. Who is waiting for Jeff at the train station when he arrives back home?
6. What doesn't Jeff mind about waiting at the airport for his mother?
7. What does Jeff do with the money he saves up from his weekly allowance he receives from his father?
8. Why does Jeff feel disappointed about Gambo when he arrives to visit with her?
9. What does Brother Thomas announce when he comes over for Christmas dinner?
10. What does Melody's new boyfriend, Max, refuse to let Jeff do when he is staying with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger is an emotion which is often suppressed in the modern world. We are told anger is negative and that it only hurts people.
Part 1: What do you think about expressing anger? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff is so hesitant to be angry with his mother?
Part 3: Why do you think Jeff feels so guilty after expressing his anger with this mother?
Essay Topic 2
Jeff's mom seems to be a character who is lost in herself and lost in her baser needs.
Part 1: Do you think Jeff's mother, Melody, is a good person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Jeff's mother doesn't try to spend more time with Jeff?
Part 3: Why do you think Jeff's mother decided to walk out on her family?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Brother Thomas and the Professor is a friendly one, but seems to be more complicated than it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think Brother Thomas and the Professor are friends in this story?
Part 2: Do you think Brother Thomas helps Jeff during this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: If Brother Thomas had not been around, what might have happened to the Professor and to Jeff?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)