|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Queen's stand-in in Antigua before the island becomes self-governing?
2. How does the author describe Antigua as beautiful now?
3. Who may relent and assist in building a new library?
4. What are used as havens for drug smuggling in Antigua?
5. What does the author say in Section 4 is so beautiful that it is unreal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the paradoxical contradiction of the surrealism of Antigua and the ordinariness of the people who live there?
2. How does the narrator describe Antigua at the beginning of Section 4?
3. In Section 4, which characters are static, and which characters are dynamic?
4. Describe the only two Prime Ministers that Antigua has had in the thirty years that it has been a self-governing nation.
5. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
6. When was Antigua discovered and by whom?
7. Why do all Antiguan ministers possess green cards, and what happens to honest ministers?
8. In regard to the Bird family, what are Antiguans' concerns, and how are these concerns lessened?
9. What is said about casinos is Section 3, and what will actually occur, according to the narrator?
10. When are Africans brought to Antigua, by whom, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different settings of "A Small Place" (overall and more specific settings)? What do the different settings reveal to the reader about Antigua and its culture?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "A Small Place?" Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 3
How does the first-person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the book? How would the book be different if a different point-of-view were used?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)