|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who may relent and assist in building a new library?
2. Who is in charge of the Treasury, Tourism and Public Works?
3. Who discovered Antigua?
4. Antigua's beauty is the same now as when Antiguans were what?
5. How are the Antiguan utility companies set up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are slaves and slaveholders viewed by the narrator in Section 4?
2. What happens to the acting Governor General when the Governor General goes to Europe in the months before Antigua's carnival?
3. Why does the narrator consider what the island's beauty must do to the natives?
4. When are Africans brought to Antigua, by whom, and why?
5. When the narrator was a child, what did the head librarian suspect, and what does the narrator say about these suspicions?
6. Describe the only two Prime Ministers that Antigua has had in the thirty years that it has been a self-governing nation.
7. What is the purpose of the paradoxical contradiction of the surrealism of Antigua and the ordinariness of the people who live there?
8. Where is the library now situated, and what is happening with the books, according to Section 3?
9. What does the narrator compare to Antigua in Section 4, and how does she use this analogy?
10. When the narrator decides to speak to the lady whose family helped establish the Mill Reef Club, what does the lady say, and how does the narrator feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre is "A Small Place" considered, and do you agree that this is the best genre to use to present the author's information?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different settings of "A Small Place" (overall and more specific settings)? What do the different settings reveal to the reader about Antigua and its culture?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of wealth in this book? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are the people in Antigua viewed based on their pecuniary success?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)