|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is harder for Antiguans to get than car loans?
2. Who does the narrator say has no language?
3. What do North Americans found in Antigua?
4. What do the Barclay Brothers open to sustain their wealth?
5. What does the narrator say that Antiguans do not seem to realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the English leave Antigua, what do they condemn, and what do they praise?
2. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the second mansion in Section 1?
3. What do the tourists think about the natives?
4. What do the tourists think about the school in Section 1?
5. How do the Barclay Brothers earn and sustain their wealth?
6. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the first mansion in Section 1?
7. What does the headmistress of the girls' school often say, and how does the narrator feel about this?
8. How does the narrator feel about the English at the beginning of Section 2?
9. How do the tourists react to the hospital, and what is the narrator's opinion about this?
10. How did the narrator feel about the Governor House as a child, and what did she see there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols used throughout the book to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 2
How does the first-person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the book? How would the book be different if a different point-of-view were used?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different settings of "A Small Place" (overall and more specific settings)? What do the different settings reveal to the reader about Antigua and its culture?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)