|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to the laws that the narrator recalls being passed, what do the English have difficulty determining?
2. What do the tourists originally think the school is?
3. Who owns the car dealerships in Antigua?
4. What indicates that the building is actually a school?
5. Who owns much of Antigua?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Barclay Brothers earn and sustain their wealth?
2. When the English leave Antigua, what do they condemn, and what do they praise?
3. What does the narrator say about the library in Section 2?
4. How do tourists arrive in Antigua, and what do they do upon their arrival?
5. What in Antigua is named after an English Princess, what happens before she visits the island, and why?
6. How does the narrator feel about Europeans, as described in Section 1?
7. How is Queen Victoria celebrated in Antigua and England?
8. How does the Czechoslovakian refugee earn his living, and how does he feel about native Antiguans?
9. In Section 2, what laws does the narrator recall, and what complicated these laws?
10. How does the narrator view tourists, as described in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the corruption of the Antiguan government impede development in Antigua?
Essay Topic 2
How is the library used as a symbol in "A Small Place?" Why is it significant that the library is not restored?
Essay Topic 3
What role does racism play in the book? Is it prominent, or in the background? Who displays racism in this book?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)