|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Antiguans feel about the owners of the first mansion?
2. Who constantly rebukes children for behaving like monkeys?
3. What language do Antiguans speak?
4. How does the author describe all tourists?
5. When is the resentment of a crime less effective and more degrading?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Queen Victoria celebrated in Antigua and England?
2. What in Antigua is named after an English Princess, what happens before she visits the island, and why?
3. How do the tourists react to the hospital, and what is the narrator's opinion about this?
4. How do native Antiguans feel about the foreigners who inhabit their island, as described in Section 2?
5. In Section 2, what laws does the narrator recall, and what complicated these laws?
6. How do the natives feel about the tourists?
7. How does the Czechoslovakian refugee earn his living, and how does he feel about native Antiguans?
8. How do the Barclay Brothers earn and sustain their wealth?
9. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the second mansion in Section 1?
10. How do the English teach the Antiguans crime, according to the narrator in Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which groups of people are present in the book as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does racism play in the book? Is it prominent, or in the background? Who displays racism in this book?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator feel about tourists, the English and foreigners living in Antigua? Why does she feel this way?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)