|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that Antiguans do not seem to realize?
2. How do people arrive in Antigua at the beginning of Section 1?
3. Who owns the third mansion described in Section 1?
4. Who owns the first mansion described in Section 1?
5. What does the narrator reminisce about near the beginning of Section 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the third mansion in Section 1?
2. When the English leave Antigua, what do they condemn, and what do they praise?
3. How do tourists view Antigua in comparison to nearby islands, and why?
4. According to the narrator at the end of Section 1, what is the association between all tourists and all natives?
5. What do tourists consider, and what do they not consider?
6. What role does language play in Section 2?
7. How do native Antiguans feel about the foreigners who inhabit their island, as described in Section 2?
8. What in Antigua is named after an English Princess, what happens before she visits the island, and why?
9. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the second mansion in Section 1?
10. How do the natives feel about the tourists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre is "A Small Place" considered, and do you agree that this is the best genre to use to present the author's information?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Antiguans and the tourists.
Essay Topic 3
How does the sarcastic tone of the book affect comprehension of "A Small Place?" Why is this tone used, and what is its result?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)