|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loves England so much that they leave and never return?
2. How was the second mansion paid for?
3. What makes the Antiguans feel superior to foreigners?
4. Who is the object of the narrator's reminiscences named after?
5. What either frightens or thrills the tourists?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the English leave Antigua, what do they condemn, and what do they praise?
2. According to the narrator at the end of Section 1, what is the association between all tourists and all natives?
3. How do tourists view Antigua in comparison to nearby islands, and why?
4. How does the narrator feel about Europeans, as described in Section 1?
5. How do tourists arrive in Antigua, and what do they do upon their arrival?
6. In Section 2, what laws does the narrator recall, and what complicated these laws?
7. What role does language play in Section 2?
8. How is Queen Victoria celebrated in Antigua and England?
9. What does the taxi driver tell the tourists about the second mansion in Section 1?
10. What do the tourists think about the school in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does racism play in the book? Is it prominent, or in the background? Who displays racism in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout the book to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
What are the different settings of "A Small Place" (overall and more specific settings)? What do the different settings reveal to the reader about Antigua and its culture?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)