|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Section 4, who still lives in a surreal place?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The Prime Minister.
(d) The English.
2. What is the tone of most of "A Small Place?"
3. Why is the narrator offended by the reference to "her girls," as stated by the lady whose family established the Mill Reef Club?
(a) Because "her girls" are grown Antiguan women.
(b) Because the lady discourages her girls from reading.
(c) Because the lady states that her girls should get married young.
(d) Because her girls are illiterate.
4. Who is not permitted time on the radio to defend themselves?
(a) The narrator and her mother.
(b) The Antiguan government.
(c) The English.
(d) Opposition parties.
5. What is established to promote better wages, working conditions and life for Antiguans?
(a) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(b) Barclay Bank.
(c) Antiguan Trades and Labor Union.
(d) Mill Reef Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns much land in Antigua?
2. How are the Antiguan utility companies set up?
3. What is the setting of "A Small Place?"
4. How does the narrator describe the Africans?
5. What happens to honest ministers which encourages other ministers to be corrupt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the only two Prime Ministers that Antigua has had in the thirty years that it has been a self-governing nation.
2. What does the narrator describe as surreal, besides the island?
3. In regard to the Bird family, what are Antiguans' concerns, and how are these concerns lessened?
4. What does the narrator say about small events which occur in small places?
5. When was Antigua discovered and by whom?
6. What does the narrator compare to Antigua in Section 4, and how does she use this analogy?
7. How does the narrator describe Antigua at the beginning of Section 4?
8. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
9. In Section 4, which characters are static, and which characters are dynamic?
10. Where is the library now situated, and what is happening with the books, according to Section 3?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)