|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is established to promote better wages, working conditions and life for Antiguans?
(a) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(b) Barclay Bank.
(c) Mill Reef Club.
(d) Antiguan Trades and Labor Union.
2. Who is in charge of the Treasury, Tourism and Public Works?
(a) It changes annually.
(b) Bird's two sons.
(c) V. C. Bird.
(d) The narrator.
3. When V. C. Bird reassumes his station, how long is the other Prime Minister imprisoned for?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 8 months.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 6 months.
4. How does the narrator describe the English?
(a) As rubbish and a selfish, miserable disease.
(b) As disheartened and homesick.
(c) As noble and exalted.
(d) As excited to experience new things.
5. Who does the narrator see as innocent and naïve?
(a) Ministers of government.
(c) The English.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the African slaves cease to be noble and exalted?
2. How does the author describe Antigua as beautiful now?
3. When the English leave Antigua, what do Antiguans cease to be?
4. Whose voice does the narrator utilize?
5. Where is the beauty locked up, according to Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In regard to the Bird family, what are Antiguans' concerns, and how are these concerns lessened?
2. In Section 4, what role does emancipation play?
3. What does the narrator compare to Antigua in Section 4, and how does she use this analogy?
4. What role do the slave records play in Section 3?
5. When are Africans brought to Antigua, by whom, and why?
6. What does the narrator's friend say about Switzerland, and how does the narrator feel about this?
7. What does the narrator describe as surreal, besides the island?
8. How are slaves and slaveholders viewed by the narrator in Section 4?
9. Why do all Antiguan ministers possess green cards, and what happens to honest ministers?
10. What does the narrator say about small events which occur in small places?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)