|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovered Antigua?
(a) African refugees.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Ponce de Leon.
(d) Queen Victoria.
2. Whose suspicions of the narrator as a child were justified?
(a) The head librarian's.
(b) The headmistress of the narrator's school.
(c) The narrator's mother's.
(d) The Primer Minister's.
3. Who in Section 4 is described as submerged in the unreality of Antigua?
(a) Real people.
(b) The English.
(c) The narrator.
(d) No one.
4. What kind of characters are the English?
5. What falls with an unreal force that tears up the earth?
(b) The rain.
(c) The waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Antiguan utility companies set up?
2. Who is the Queen's stand-in in Antigua before the island becomes self-governing?
3. In Section 4, who is the oppressor?
4. What does the swindler from the Far East help build?
5. Who is not permitted time on the radio to defend themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator was a child, what did the head librarian suspect, and what does the narrator say about these suspicions?
2. What do the Syrians and Lebanese do in Antigua?
3. When the narrator decides to speak to the lady whose family helped establish the Mill Reef Club, what does the lady say, and how does the narrator feel about this?
4. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
5. When was Antigua discovered and by whom?
6. What is said about casinos is Section 3, and what will actually occur, according to the narrator?
7. How does the narrator describe Antigua at the beginning of Section 4?
8. What happens when the English leave Antigua at the end of Section 4?
9. Why do all Antiguan ministers possess green cards, and what happens to honest ministers?
10. In Section 4, what role does emancipation play?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)