|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge of the Treasury, Tourism and Public Works?
(a) Bird's two sons.
(b) V. C. Bird.
(c) It changes annually.
(d) The narrator.
2. What is held to raise funds to repair the library?
(a) An auction.
(b) A Teenage Pageant.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) An exhibition.
3. What kind of characters are the Antiguans?
4. What is Bird's ruthless son dying from?
(c) A blood disease.
(d) A brain tumor.
5. What does the swindler from the Far East help build?
(a) The Redonda stamps.
(b) The Antiguan library.
(c) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(d) Condominiums for Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Section 4, who still lives in a surreal place?
2. What does the narrator's mother argue about with the Minister of Education, Culture and Sport?
3. Where does the narrator's friend travel?
4. When the English leave Antigua, what do Antiguans cease to be?
5. Who outbids the Antiguan government at an auction for slave records?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the slave records play in Section 3?
2. Describe the only two Prime Ministers that Antigua has had in the thirty years that it has been a self-governing nation.
3. When are Africans brought to Antigua, by whom, and why?
4. What do the Syrians and Lebanese do in Antigua?
5. Describe the Redonda stamp scandal.
6. How does the Antigua of the present compare to the Antigua of the past?
7. What happens when the English leave Antigua at the end of Section 4?
8. What does the narrator say about small events which occur in small places?
9. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
10. How are slaves and slaveholders viewed by the narrator in Section 4?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)