|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Antiguans call Bird's ruthless son?
(a) Doctor Jekyl.
(b) Papa Doc.
(c) Papa Poverty.
(d) Doctor Dolittle.
2. Whose voice does the narrator utilize?
(a) Her mother's.
(b) Jamaica Kincaid's.
(c) It varies throughout the book.
(d) V. C. Bird's.
3. Who is freed in a way when the English leave Antigua?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The English.
(c) The Syrians.
4. What does the swindler from the Far East help build?
(a) Condominiums for Americans.
(b) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(c) The Antiguan library.
(d) The Redonda stamps.
5. Who has green cards that allow them to escape to the United States?
(a) All Antiguans.
(b) No one.
(c) All Antiguan ministers of government.
(d) The narrator and her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What paradoxical contradiction serves to provide another fault of Antigua?
2. Who serves as Prime Minister for twenty-five of Antigua's thirty years as a self-governing nation?
3. Who does the narrator see as innocent and naïve?
4. Whose beautiful poorness is unreal?
5. What does the author say in Section 4 is so beautiful that it is unreal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the paradoxical contradiction of the surrealism of Antigua and the ordinariness of the people who live there?
2. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
3. In Section 4, what role does emancipation play?
4. When the narrator decides to speak to the lady whose family helped establish the Mill Reef Club, what does the lady say, and how does the narrator feel about this?
5. How does the Antigua of the present compare to the Antigua of the past?
6. When the narrator was a child, what did the head librarian suspect, and what does the narrator say about these suspicions?
7. In regard to the Bird family, what are Antiguans' concerns, and how are these concerns lessened?
8. What do the Syrians and Lebanese do in Antigua?
9. In Section 4, which characters are static, and which characters are dynamic?
10. What is said about casinos is Section 3, and what will actually occur, according to the narrator?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)