|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns much land in Antigua?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) Syrians and Lebanese.
(d) The narrator.
2. When the English leave Antigua, what do the slaveholders become?
(a) Ordinary people.
(b) A selfish, miserable disease.
(c) Homesick and unhappy.
(d) Noble, exalted slaves.
3. Whose voice does the narrator utilize?
(a) Jamaica Kincaid's.
(b) V. C. Bird's.
(c) It varies throughout the book.
(d) Her mother's.
4. What does the swindler from the Far East help build?
(a) Condominiums for Americans.
(b) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(c) The Redonda stamps.
(d) The Antiguan library.
5. How are the Antiguan utility companies set up?
(a) As monopolies.
(b) As competitive entities.
(c) There are no utility companies in Antigua.
(d) They are owned by Americans who visit Antigua on vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are ordinary people, according to the author in Section 4?
2. What happens to honest ministers which encourages other ministers to be corrupt?
3. At the end of Section 4, who still lives in a surreal place?
4. Who in Section 4 is described as submerged in the unreality of Antigua?
5. What is established to promote better wages, working conditions and life for Antiguans?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are Africans brought to Antigua, by whom, and why?
2. Why does the narrator consider what the island's beauty must do to the natives?
3. What role do the slave records play in Section 3?
4. How are the Antiguans taken advantage of due to their innocence and naivete?
5. When the narrator was a child, what did the head librarian suspect, and what does the narrator say about these suspicions?
6. What does the narrator describe as surreal, besides the island?
7. How are the slaves and slaveholders compared in Section 4?
8. How does Section 4 begin as a panegyric, and how does it change?
9. What happens when the English leave Antigua at the end of Section 4?
10. What does the narrator's friend say about Switzerland, and how does the narrator feel about this?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)