|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the swindler from the Far East help build?
(a) West Indies Oil Refinery.
(b) The Redonda stamps.
(c) Condominiums for Americans.
(d) The Antiguan library.
2. What do Antiguans worry that the Birds will be unwilling to relinquish?
(a) Political power.
(b) Their immense wealth.
(c) Their estate in Antigua.
(d) Their loving natures.
3. What is the tone of most of "A Small Place?"
4. Who may relent and assist in building a new library?
(a) Barclay Bank.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The Mill Reef Club.
(d) The Czechoslovakian refugee.
5. What is the old library now used as?
(a) The headquarters of a carnival troupe.
(b) A school.
(d) A library.
6. Where does the narrator's friend travel?
7. Who is the Queen's stand-in in Antigua before the island becomes self-governing?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) The Premier.
(c) The narrator.
(d) A Minister of Government.
8. When were Africans brought to Antigua?
(b) In 1567.
(d) Not long after its discovery.
9. What kind of characters are the English?
10. Antigua's beauty is the same now as when Antiguans were what?
11. What is the setting of "A Small Place?"
12. What charge is the second Prime Minister imprisoned for?
(a) Lying to the Antiguan people.
(b) Using his office for personal profit.
(c) Cheating on his spouse.
(d) Murdering government officials.
13. How much money do the French send for development, though it mysteriously disappears?
14. Who considers what being real people submerged in the unreality of Antigua must do to the people?
(a) The headmistress of the girls' school.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The Antiguans.
(d) The Prime Minister.
15. According to the narrator in Section 3, what has become a tourist attraction?
(a) Antiguans' degradation.
(b) Antiguans' poverty.
(c) Antigua's historical monuments.
(d) Antigua's beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird's ruthless son dying from?
2. What paradoxical contradiction serves to provide another fault of Antigua?
3. Who leaves Antigua?
4. Whose suspicions of the narrator as a child were justified?
5. What does a government official condone during a radio appearance?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)