|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adds to the surrealism of the island, according to Section 4?
(a) The sea, sky and everything.
(b) The natives' beliefs.
(c) The English.
(d) The natives.
2. What does the narrator's mother argue about with the Minister of Education, Culture and Sport?
(a) The Redonda stamps.
(b) Their favorite football team.
(c) Building the West Indies Oil Refinery.
(d) Rebuilding the library.
3. What kind of character is the island of Antigua?
4. What do Antiguans call Bird's ruthless son?
(a) Papa Poverty.
(b) Papa Doc.
(c) Doctor Jekyl.
(d) Doctor Dolittle.
5. Why are slaves brought to Antigua?
(a) For prosperity.
(b) For entertainment.
(c) To populate the island.
(d) Slaves are not brought to Antigua.
6. What is the setting of "A Small Place?"
7. Who discovered Antigua?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Ponce de Leon.
(d) African refugees.
8. When the English leave Antigua, what do Antiguans cease to be?
(a) Noble, exalted slaves.
(b) A selfish, miserable disease.
(c) Homesick and unhappy.
(d) Ordinary people.
9. Who is not permitted time on the radio to defend themselves?
(a) The English.
(b) Opposition parties.
(c) The Antiguan government.
(d) The narrator and her mother.
10. What did the Antiguans hope the second Prime Minister would bring to Antigua?
(a) The Antiguans had no hopes for the second Prime Minister.
(b) Luxury and relaxation.
(c) Honesty and prosperity.
11. When was Antigua discovered?
12. What does the author say in Section 4 is so beautiful that it is unreal?
(a) The natives.
(d) The neighboring islands.
13. Who brought Africans to Antigua?
(b) The Swiss.
(c) The English.
(d) Africans came to Antigua on their own.
14. Who are ordinary people, according to the author in Section 4?
(a) No one is ordinary.
(c) The Syrians.
(d) The foreigners who lives in Antigua.
15. Who is suspected of murder but never convicted?
(b) Syrians and Lebanese.
(c) V. C. Bird.
(d) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the English leave Antigua, what do the slaveholders become?
2. How does the author describe Antigua as beautiful now?
3. What does the narrator criticize about Antigua in Section 4?
4. What is Bird's ruthless son dying from?
5. What kind of characters are the English?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)