|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since when has the library been closed?
(a) The Tsunami of 1980.
(b) The Hurricane of 1977.
(c) The Volcano Eruption of 1970.
(d) The Earthquake of 1974.
2. How long have the owners of the first mansion lived in Antigua?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Twenty years.
3. What do the English praise?
(a) Their own efforts toward Enlightenment.
(c) Their supposed superiority.
(d) The Antiguans' barbarity.
4. What is the Czechoslovakian refugee trained as?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
5. Who is detained by customs searches?
(a) The tourists.
(b) The English.
(c) Native Antiguans.
(d) The narrator.
6. What kind of cars are predominant in Antigua?
(a) Expensive Japanese cars.
(b) Flashy convertibles.
(c) Police cars.
(d) Family-friendly station wagons.
7. What would become very important if there was a car accident?
(a) The library.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The hotel.
(d) The school.
8. How are the tourists transported to their resorts?
(a) By walking.
(b) By taxi cab.
(c) By airplane.
(d) By bus.
9. What has changed since the narrator's youth?
(a) The Antiguan government.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Slavery has been abolished.
10. According to the author, where do the tourists behave as normal people?
(a) There is no such thing as normal people.
(b) In Antigua.
(d) At home.
11. Who are presented as the protagonists of Section 2?
(b) The English.
(c) The tourists.
(d) The narrator and her family.
12. Who constantly rebukes children for behaving like monkeys?
(a) The Czechoslovakian refugee.
(b) The headmistress of the girls' school.
(c) The founders of the Mill Reef Club.
(d) The Barclay Brothers.
13. What does the author say in Section 2 that the English steal from the Antiguans?
14. How did the Barclay Brothers earn their wealth?
(a) As bankers.
(b) By embezzling money from the Antiguan government.
(c) As owners of the Mill Reef Club.
(d) As slave-traders.
15. As slaves, what were the Antiguans considered not long ago?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the tourists not consider when swimming in the sea?
2. Who tries to overcharge the tourists?
3. Where do the tourists finally arrive in Section 1?
4. What does the author say is the only thing that tourists consider?
5. What does Section 2 compare and contrast?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)