|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Czechoslovakian refugee trained as?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A dentist.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
2. What does the narrator condemn about the tourists in Section 1?
(a) Their ugliness.
(b) Their shallowness.
(c) Their vapidity.
(d) Their stupidity.
3. How does the author describe all tourists?
(a) As stupid.
(b) As attractive.
(c) As friendly.
(d) As ugly.
4. Who does the narrator recall seeing disappear behind the walls of the Government House?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) No one.
(c) The Queen.
(d) A putty-faced Princess.
5. What does the author say is the only thing that tourists consider?
(a) The desires of the natives.
(b) The comfort of the natives.
(c) Their desires.
(d) Their own comfort.
6. How do the tourists feel about the three similar objects that they pass?
7. Who does the narrator pity?
(a) The English.
(b) The Antiguans.
(c) The tourists.
(d) Her mother.
8. Who owns the third mansion described in Section 1?
(a) The narrator.
(b) A drug smuggler.
(d) A Middle Eastern family.
9. How did the Barclay Brothers earn their wealth?
(a) As owners of the Mill Reef Club.
(b) As slave-traders.
(c) As bankers.
(d) By embezzling money from the Antiguan government.
10. What are the tourists normally reassured of?
(a) Their attractiveness.
(b) Their friendliness.
(c) Their intelligence.
(d) Their ugliness.
11. How long have the owners of the first mansion lived in Antigua?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Six months.
12. Who does the narrator say has no language?
13. Who owns the first mansion described in Section 1?
(a) A Middle Eastern family.
(b) A drug dealer.
(c) The narrator.
14. What do the tourists not consider when swimming in the sea?
(a) The lack of a sewage system.
(b) The possibility of sunburn.
(c) The risk of drowning.
(d) How cold it is.
15. Who do the tourists wonder at?
(b) The narrator.
(c) The English.
(d) The natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say in Section 2 that the English steal from the Antiguans?
2. Who does not work for the Barclay Brothers for a long time?
3. What do the tourists swim with?
4. Who loves England so much that they leave and never return?
5. Who does Kincaid say is a potential tourist?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)