|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Antiguans feel about the owners of the first mansion?
(a) They hate them.
(b) They are close friends.
(c) They love them.
(d) They are jealous of them.
2. How do the natives view the comments about their children behaving like monkeys?
(a) They never consider that these comments are racist.
(b) They think these comments are funny.
(c) They cannot tolerate such comments.
(d) They do not know about these comments.
3. Who does not realize the cruelty of their actions concerning slavery?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The English.
(c) The tourists.
(d) The Antiguans.
4. What do the tourists not consider when swimming in the sea?
(a) The lack of a sewage system.
(b) How cold it is.
(c) The possibility of sunburn.
(d) The risk of drowning.
5. Who owns the first mansion described in Section 1?
(a) A Middle Eastern family.
(b) A drug dealer.
(d) The narrator.
6. What do the English condemn?
(a) Their supposed superiority.
(b) The Antiguans' barbarity.
(c) Their attempts at Enlightenment.
7. What do the tourists ask to see which prevents them from being overcharged?
(a) The hotel.
(b) The fee sheet.
(c) The mansions.
(d) The manager.
8. What laws does the narrator recall being passed in her youth?
(a) Laws to prevent natives from entering public buildings.
(b) Laws allowing the government to embezzle money.
(c) Laws to prevent abusive language.
(d) Laws prohibiting women from reading.
9. In comparison to Antigua, how are the nearby islands viewed?
(a) As too green.
(b) As too dry.
(c) As too brown.
(d) As too rainy.
10. The tourists try not to dwell on the condition of what public facility?
(a) The welfare office.
(b) The mansions.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The police station.
11. What is extremely dynamic in Antigua?
(a) The English.
(b) The tourists.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The culture and lifestyles.
12. What does the lush vegetation of the neighboring islands indicate?
(a) The health of the island.
(b) The lack of rain.
(c) The likelihood of rain.
(d) The lack of health on the island.
13. What does the sign on the front of the library claim?
(a) No women allowed.
(b) Repairs are pending.
(c) Open for business.
(d) No natives allowed.
14. What do the tourists originally think the school is?
(a) Public latrine.
(b) The prison.
(c) The library.
15. What are the Antiguans still being extorted for?
(a) They are not being extorted.
(b) For amusement.
(c) Moral reasons.
(d) Pecuniary gains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator pity?
2. How are the tourists transported to their resorts?
3. What do North Americans found in Antigua?
4. What are the tourists normally reassured of?
5. Who owns much of Antigua?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)