|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 1, what do the tourists pass three of?
2. Who does the narrator say has no language?
3. Who is the object of the narrator's reminiscences named after?
(a) An English maritime criminal.
(b) Her father.
(c) The first Prime Minister of Antigua.
(d) No one.
4. Who does the narrator hate?
5. What do the Barclay Brothers open to sustain their wealth?
(a) The Mill Reef Club.
(b) A dentist's office.
(c) Barclay Bank.
(d) The library.
6. What does the narrator say that Antiguans do not seem to realize?
(a) That Queen Victoria is dead.
(b) That Queen Victoria was English.
(c) That many foreigners are racist.
(d) That many foreigners are loyal to Antigua.
7. What does the lush vegetation of the neighboring islands indicate?
(a) The lack of rain.
(b) The lack of health on the island.
(c) The likelihood of rain.
(d) The health of the island.
8. Who are presented as the antagonists of Section 2?
(a) The narrator and her family.
(b) The English.
(c) The tourists.
9. What is named after an English Princess?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The library.
(c) The airport.
(d) The school.
10. How did the Barclay Brothers earn their wealth?
(a) By embezzling money from the Antiguan government.
(b) As slave-traders.
(c) As owners of the Mill Reef Club.
(d) As bankers.
11. Who does Kincaid say is a potential tourist?
(b) Every native.
(c) No one.
(d) The narrator.
12. According to the narrator, what do Americans constantly complain about?
(b) The lack of sewage system in Antigua.
(c) How much they miss England.
(d) The drier climate of Antigua.
13. According to the author, where do the tourists behave as normal people?
(a) In Antigua.
(c) There is no such thing as normal people.
(d) At home.
14. Who constantly rebukes children for behaving like monkeys?
(a) The founders of the Mill Reef Club.
(b) The headmistress of the girls' school.
(c) The Czechoslovakian refugee.
(d) The Barclay Brothers.
15. Who does the narrator recall seeing disappear behind the walls of the Government House?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) A putty-faced Princess.
(c) The Queen.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the natives do that the tourists do not suspect?
2. What makes the Antiguans feel superior to foreigners?
3. What are Antiguans apathetic toward?
4. What are the tourists normally reassured of?
5. What do the tourists swim with?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)