|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In regard to the laws that the narrator recalls being passed, what do the English have difficulty determining?
(a) How much money to take.
(b) Who is a native Antiguan.
(c) What language is abusive.
(d) What to do about books that people already own.
2. What does the narrator say that Antiguans do not seem to realize?
(a) That Queen Victoria was English.
(b) That Queen Victoria is dead.
(c) That many foreigners are racist.
(d) That many foreigners are loyal to Antigua.
3. What do the tourists admire?
(a) The cleanliness of the ocean.
(b) The beauty of Antigua.
(c) The intelligence of the natives.
(d) The narrator's honesty.
4. What does the narrator pity?
(a) The poverty of Antiguans.
(b) The ruined empire of the English.
(c) The demolished library.
5. What is harder for Antiguans to get than car loans?
(b) Home loans.
(c) Student loans.
(d) Fixed utility poles.
6. What does the author say is the only thing that tourists consider?
(a) The comfort of the natives.
(b) Their desires.
(c) The desires of the natives.
(d) Their own comfort.
7. Who owns the second mansion described in Section 1?
(a) A Middle Eastern family.
(c) An infamous drug smuggler.
(d) The narrator.
8. What do the tourists not consider when swimming in the sea?
(a) How cold it is.
(b) The possibility of sunburn.
(c) The risk of drowning.
(d) The lack of a sewage system.
9. What do the tourists originally think the school is?
(b) The prison.
(c) The library.
(d) Public latrine.
10. What do the Antiguans celebrate as a holiday?
(a) The day that Antigua became a country.
(b) Queen Victoria's birthday.
(c) Their emancipation.
(d) The founding of the Mill Reef Club.
11. Who does the narrator pity?
(a) The tourists.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The English.
(d) The Antiguans.
12. In Section 1, what do the tourists pass three of?
13. Since when has the library been closed?
(a) The Earthquake of 1974.
(b) The Volcano Eruption of 1970.
(c) The Tsunami of 1980.
(d) The Hurricane of 1977.
14. What laws does the narrator recall being passed in her youth?
(a) Laws allowing the government to embezzle money.
(b) Laws to prevent natives from entering public buildings.
(c) Laws to prevent abusive language.
(d) Laws prohibiting women from reading.
15. How does the author describe all tourists?
(a) As ugly.
(b) As attractive.
(c) As friendly.
(d) As stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Antiguans still being extorted for?
2. Who owns the car dealerships in Antigua?
3. What do North Americans found in Antigua?
4. How did the Barclay Brothers earn their wealth?
5. What is the only offense the Czechoslovakian refugee accepts from his patients?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)