|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are presented as the protagonists of Section 2?
(a) The English.
(c) The tourists.
(d) The narrator and her family.
2. How do the natives view the comments about their children behaving like monkeys?
(a) They do not know about these comments.
(b) They cannot tolerate such comments.
(c) They think these comments are funny.
(d) They never consider that these comments are racist.
3. Who does Kincaid say is a potential tourist?
(a) Every native.
(b) No one.
(d) The narrator.
4. What indicates that the building is actually a school?
(a) A teacher.
(c) A flag.
(d) A sign.
5. What do the Barclay Brothers open to sustain their wealth?
(a) Barclay Bank.
(b) The Mill Reef Club.
(c) A dentist's office.
(d) The library.
6. Who do the English think is stupid?
(a) The narrator.
7. How are the tourists transported to their resorts?
(a) By taxi cab.
(b) By airplane.
(c) By walking.
(d) By bus.
8. What is the only offense the Czechoslovakian refugee accepts from his patients?
(a) The color of the skin.
(b) Their sarcasm.
(c) Their ignorance.
(d) Their dirtiness.
9. Who do the tourists see as superior to the natives and their ancestors?
(a) Themselves and their ancestors.
(b) The English.
(c) The narrator.
(d) No one.
10. As a child, how did the narrator feel about the Government House?
11. What does the Czechoslovakian refugee require his wife to do?
(a) Interview his clients.
(b) Work as a maid.
(c) Cook him dinner every night.
(d) Inspect his patients before he treats them.
12. How did the Barclay Brothers earn their wealth?
(a) By embezzling money from the Antiguan government.
(b) As slave-traders.
(c) As bankers.
(d) As owners of the Mill Reef Club.
13. Where is Queen Victoria's death celebrated?
(a) In America.
(b) At the school she attended in England.
(c) In London.
(d) In Antigua.
14. What do the Antiguans celebrate as a holiday?
(a) Queen Victoria's birthday.
(b) Their emancipation.
(c) The day that Antigua became a country.
(d) The founding of the Mill Reef Club.
15. What is extremely dynamic in Antigua?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The culture and lifestyles.
(c) The English.
(d) The tourists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the North Americans feel about native Antiguans?
2. What either frightens or thrills the tourists?
3. What do the tourists admire?
4. What does Antigua's drier climate result from?
5. Who is detained by customs searches?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)