|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator reminisce about near the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Her first marriage.
(b) Her family life.
(c) The streets she grew up on.
(d) Attending elementary school.
2. How are the tourists transported to their resorts?
(a) By taxi cab.
(b) By airplane.
(c) By walking.
(d) By bus.
3. In regard to the laws that the narrator recalls being passed, what do the English have difficulty determining?
(a) What to do about books that people already own.
(b) What language is abusive.
(c) Who is a native Antiguan.
(d) How much money to take.
4. What do the tourists admire?
(a) The cleanliness of the ocean.
(b) The intelligence of the natives.
(c) The narrator's honesty.
(d) The beauty of Antigua.
5. Why are the natives jealous of the tourists?
(a) Because they are unable to escape the place that they live.
(b) The natives are not jealous of the tourists.
(c) Because the tourists are from a nicer place.
(d) Because the tourists do not have any concerns.
6. How does the author describe all tourists?
(a) As ugly.
(b) As friendly.
(c) As stupid.
(d) As attractive.
7. What does the lush vegetation of the neighboring islands indicate?
(a) The likelihood of rain.
(b) The health of the island.
(c) The lack of health on the island.
(d) The lack of rain.
8. What are the Antiguans still being extorted for?
(a) They are not being extorted.
(b) Pecuniary gains.
(c) Moral reasons.
(d) For amusement.
9. How do the tourists feel by the time they return to their homes?
10. Who owns the car dealerships in Antigua?
(a) Ministers of government.
(b) The swindler from the Far East.
(c) The Prime Minster.
(d) The narrator.
11. Why do the English leave Antigua?
(a) Because they are lonely.
(b) Because they are poorer than the Antiguans.
(c) Because they miss their home.
(d) Because they are murdered.
12. According to the narrator, what do Americans constantly complain about?
(a) The lack of sewage system in Antigua.
(b) How much they miss England.
(c) The drier climate of Antigua.
13. Who are presented as the protagonists of Section 2?
(a) The tourists.
(b) The English.
(d) The narrator and her family.
14. What does the narrator condemn about the tourists in Section 1?
(a) Their shallowness.
(b) Their vapidity.
(c) Their ugliness.
(d) Their stupidity.
15. How long have the owners of the first mansion lived in Antigua?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) Twenty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are presented as the antagonists of Section 2?
2. In Section 1, what do the tourists pass three of?
3. What does the author say is the only thing that tourists consider?
4. How do the tourists feel about the three similar objects that they pass?
5. What would become very important if there was a car accident?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)