|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Antiguans feel about the bad manners of foreigners?
2. How do the Antiguans feel about the owners of the first mansion?
(a) They are close friends.
(b) They love them.
(c) They are jealous of them.
(d) They hate them.
3. What do the tourists admire?
(a) The cleanliness of the ocean.
(b) The beauty of Antigua.
(c) The narrator's honesty.
(d) The intelligence of the natives.
4. Where do the tourists finally arrive in Section 1?
(a) At their resort.
(b) At the hotel.
(c) In Antigua.
(d) At the narrator's house.
5. What does Section 2 compare and contrast?
(a) Antigua and England.
(b) The tourists and the Antiguans.
(c) The English and the narrator.
(d) Antigua of the past and present.
6. How do the natives view the comments about their children behaving like monkeys?
(a) They think these comments are funny.
(b) They cannot tolerate such comments.
(c) They never consider that these comments are racist.
(d) They do not know about these comments.
7. What kind of cars are predominant in Antigua?
(a) Flashy convertibles.
(b) Expensive Japanese cars.
(c) Police cars.
(d) Family-friendly station wagons.
8. Who are presented as the protagonists of Section 2?
(a) The English.
(c) The narrator and her family.
(d) The tourists.
9. What do the tourists not consider when swimming in the sea?
(a) The lack of a sewage system.
(b) The possibility of sunburn.
(c) How cold it is.
(d) The risk of drowning.
10. What is done so that the English Princess will have a favorable impression of Antigua?
(a) The streets and buildings are repaired.
(b) English flags are flown from every possible pole.
(c) The hotel is lavishly decorated.
(d) The natives are gathered for a parade.
11. What does the Czechoslovakian refugee require his wife to do?
(a) Interview his clients.
(b) Work as a maid.
(c) Inspect his patients before he treats them.
(d) Cook him dinner every night.
12. What does the narrator reminisce about near the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Her first marriage.
(b) Attending elementary school.
(c) Her family life.
(d) The streets she grew up on.
13. According to the author, where do the tourists behave as normal people?
(b) There is no such thing as normal people.
(c) In Antigua.
(d) At home.
14. Who do the tourists wonder at?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The natives.
(d) The English.
15. When is the resentment of a crime less effective and more degrading?
(b) When it is expressed in the criminals' language.
(c) When the victim cries during the expression of their resentment.
(d) When it is non-verbal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is extremely dynamic in Antigua?
2. What are the Antiguans still being extorted for?
3. Who do the tourists see as superior to the natives and their ancestors?
4. Who condemns the tourists' lack of concern?
5. What is the Czechoslovakian refugee trained as?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)