|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tree-ear's attitude toward work change?
2. What was the emissary doing when Tree-ear was brought before him?
3. How did Tree-ear carry the vases?
4. What did Min say to Tree-ear when he came to check on the progress of the red and white clay?
5. When was Min's pieces ready for Tree-ear to take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tree-ear feel when he arrives in Songdo and what happens at first about his request to the guards?
2. What does Tree-ear do when he finally is able to see the emissary?
3. What happens on the sixth day of Tree-ear's journey and how does he feel about it?
4. When is Min done with his vases and how is Crane-man involved?
5. What does Min tell Tree-ear when he finds him upon returning home?
6. What does Tree-ear first do at the Rock of Falling Flowers?
7. Who joins Tree-ear at the rock and what does Tree-ear realize?
8. In Chapter 7, what does Tree-ear finally tell Min and what does Min have Tree-ear do? What does Tree-ear realize he has learned when he performs his task?
9. What does Min's wife request of Crane-man? What is his response? What is Tree-ear's response?
10. What does Tree-ear do on his first day back at the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes A Single Shard interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tree-ear. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Crane-man. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Min. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think A Single Shard is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tree-ear sees rice falling from a farmer's pack and he debates telling the man or just waiting until the farmer is gone and picking up the rice. His honesty won't let him steal. He catches up to the farmer who repairs his pack. The farmer tells Tree-ear he can have all the rice that has fallen to the ground.Tree-ear is ecstatic for this means he and Crane-man will eat well for several days.
1. How does the cliche, "Honesty is the best policy" relate to the above? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. If Tree-ear had not told the farmer he and Crane-man could have eaten for more than several days. Even so, do you think Tree-ear was correct in doing what he did? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Crane-man is proud that Tree-ear chose to be honest. Explain why you think Crane-man felt this way. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)