|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was firing a piece of pottery so difficult?
2. Why did potters try to find gray-brown clay?
3. What is Tree-ear sent to collect that day that is different from the last 9 days?
4. What does Min reply to Tree-ear's request?
5. What did the village potters begin to do at the kiln?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tree-ear do for the next eight days for Min?
2. What is the third job to which Tree-ear is assigned and how does he do it?
3. How does time pass for Tree-ear and his new job and what is the rotation of his jobs?
4. What does Min's wife give Tree-ear and what does Tree-ear do with the gift?
5. What does the emissary do when he arrives at the village?
6. What do the potters in town do about the news?
7. What was Tree-ear doing when he saw a rice container had a leak?
8. What does Tree-ear do with his bowl the next day of work and what happens to the food?
9. What does Tree-ear try to find out and how does his quest end?
10. How does Crane-man feel about Tree-ear's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think A Single Shard is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you did not understand the relevance of the title? Did it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Tree-ear seems to be an honest, hard-working, and responsible boy.
1. Knowing what you know of Tree-ear's life thus far, how is do you think he could have developed the traits he demonstrates by his courage and persistence? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think is shown by Tree-ear's actions, given that Tree-ear going to Songdo by walking might be similar to a boy walking to a town 200 miles away in our present society? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think Tree-ear's behavior and actions are consistent with his age? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Tree-ear from the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. How are they similar? How are they different? Which person do you like more? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Crane-man and Min. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in A Single Shard help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)