|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tree-ear visit the kiln every night in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the object that Tree-ear is holding?
3. What was Tree-ear's secret about one of the bowls put out for display?
4. What did Crane-man do during the day?
5. What did Min's wife give Tree-ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exciting news reaches the village in Chapter 6?
2. What does Tree-ear do the day before the big event and what does Min order him to do?
3. What does Tree-ear do at Min's house?
4. Whom does Tree-ear see on his way to work one day and what does the incident suggest to Tree-ear?
5. What does Min do the first thing when Tree-ear arrives on his second morning?
6. What do the potters in town do about the news?
7. What is the story of how Tree-ear came to live with Crane-man?
8. What work of Min's does Tree-ear see the first time he goes to Min's house?
9. What does Crane-man do during the day and what does he make Tree-ear?
10. How interesting is Tree-ear's third kind of job and why is it more difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tree-ear volunteers to take Min's pottery to Songdo for the emissary to see. It is a long and possibly dangerous journey.
1. Do you think children the same age as Tree-ear in the present day could have made the journey he did? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Explain how the journey and the events on the journey demonstrates Tree-ear's determination and courage. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was irresponsible of Min and Crane-man to send a young boy Tree-ear's age on such a journey? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of A Single Shard and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why A Single Shard is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Tree-ear admires Min, a potter whom he would like to learn from. Min is also an old man who is angry and rarely speaks more than he needs to. This promises to be a difficult relationship that could be deeply rewarding for both Tree-ear and Min.
1. Why do you think Min is angry all the time? Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
2. How do you think a relationship between Min and Tree-ear could turn out to be rewarding for both of them? Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. If you met someone who you admired but was always abrupt and rude to you and always seemed to be angry would you continue to try and get to know him or her? Why or why not? Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)