|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tree-ear decide to do what he did in question 48?
2. What is the name of the vase that has dozens of birds inlaid inside medallions surrounded by clouds?
3. About what does Min complain?
4. Why did a potter want a vessel off the shelf in the kiln?
5. What news did a boat bring to Tree-ear's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tree-ear do about the problem with his food and what does he find to his surprise in his bowl?
2. What does Tree-ear try to find out and how does his quest end?
3. What work of Min's does Tree-ear see the first time he goes to Min's house?
4. What does the emissary do when he arrives at the village?
5. What will Tree-ear and Crane-man have to do for the winter?
6. How does Tree-ear finally find out what Kang is doing?
7. What kind of work is cutting clay and what does Tree-ear remember while he is cutting?
8. What does Min do the first thing when Tree-ear arrives on his second morning?
9. What does Min's wife give Tree-ear and what does Tree-ear do with the gift?
10. What does Tree-ear ask Min when his nine days are done and what is Min's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes A Single Shard interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tree-ear. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Crane-man. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Min. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
A Single Shard takes place in the twelfth century in Korea.
1. Discuss the differences you see in the technological level between Tree-ear's time. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss the differences and similarities you see between family and social life in Tree-ear's era and your own. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. Discuss why you would like to live in Tree-ear's time and why you would not like to live then. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Tree-ear from the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. How are they similar? How are they different? Which person do you like more? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Crane-man and Min. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in A Single Shard help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)