|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century is A Single Shard set?
2. Who is Crane-man?
(a) The village school teacher.
(b) Tree-ear's guardian.
(c) Tree-ear's brother.
(d) Tree-ear's best friend.
3. What was Tree-ear supposed to do with the wood?
(a) Chop it into smaller pieces.
(b) Stack it next to the house.
(c) Take it to the kiln site.
(d) Cover it so it didn't get wet.
4. What is one thing Tree-ear inspects at Min's?
(a) A melon-shaped bowl.
(b) A procelein seal.
(c) A stoneware, heart-shaped bowl.
(d) A porcelein bear.
5. How are orphans seen in Korea during Tree-ear's time?
(a) As no different than anyone else.
(b) As good luck.
(c) As bad luck.
(d) As immoral.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which area of Korea is the novel set?
2. Why did Tree-ear visit the kiln every night in Chapter 6?
3. Why did a potter want a vessel off the shelf in the kiln?
4. Why was firing a piece of pottery so difficult?
5. What does the farmer do for Tree-ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crane-man feel about Tree-ear's behavior?
2. Whom does Tree-ear see on his way to work one day and what does the incident suggest to Tree-ear?
3. What exciting news reaches the village in Chapter 6?
4. What is the third job to which Tree-ear is assigned and how does he do it?
5. What does Tree-ear do about the problem with his food and what does he find to his surprise in his bowl?
6. What does Crane-man do during the day and what does he make Tree-ear?
7. How interesting is Tree-ear's third kind of job and why is it more difficult?
8. What does Tree-ear do for the next eight days for Min?
9. What kind of work is cutting clay and what does Tree-ear remember while he is cutting?
10. What did Tree-ear do about the rice container? What was the farmer's response?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)