|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tree-ear discover when he returns to his bowl?
(a) The food had spoiled in the heat.
(b) The bowl was gone.
(c) An animal ate his food.
(d) The food was covered in ants.
2. What did potters before Kang and Min try to do sometimes with red slip?
(a) Decorate clothing.
(b) Paint their work.
(c) Make inlays.
(d) Make an entire pot of red clay.
3. What was different about Min's display for the judging from the other potters?
(a) His display put the big pieces on the top shelves.
(b) He had many more pieces than the others.
(c) He did not use live flowers in the vases.
(d) He had significantly less pieces.
4. What does Min insist upon that makes Tree-ear's job even more tedious?
(a) Tree-ear must help Min sometimes.
(b) Processing the clay sometimes 4 or 5 times.
(c) Tree-ear must stand as Tree-ear is working.
(d) Tree-ear must follow Min's helpful advice.
5. About what does Min complain?
(a) His wife wants a new stove.
(b) His arthritis is bothering him.
(c) His nephew does not want to apprentice with him.
(d) Tree-ear has ruined several days work.
6. What does Min do the next morning when Tree-ear arrives?
(a) Shows him a new crane he is working on.
(b) Yells at him.
(c) Tells him to ask his wife for breakfast.
(d) Sends him back to the quarry.
7. What was Tree-ear's secret about one of the bowls put out for display?
(a) It had an unknown flaw.
(b) It was mostly his work.
(c) Tree-ear made one of the petal decorations.
(d) He had changed the glaze on it.
8. Where does Min send Tree-ear the second day?
(a) To help a potter who is ill.
(b) To get wood.
(c) To weed the garden.
(d) To get straw.
9. What does the farmer do for Tree-ear?
(a) Allows him the spilled rice.
(b) Hires him to weed his family garden.
(c) Hires him to catch his chickens.
(d) Gives him permission to dig clay in his fallow field.
10. What type of pottery did Tree-ear plan to be his first one?
(a) A water carrier.
(b) A perfume bottle.
(c) A prunus vase.
(d) A cornus twist.
11. What happens when Tree-ear is told to leave Crane-man?
(a) He tells Crane-man he will come back for him.
(b) He brings Crane-man with him.
(c) He is not told to leave Crane-man.
(d) He refuses.
12. What story does Crane-man tell Tree-ear?
(a) The sea dragons.
(b) The story of how Tree-ear comes to live with Crane-man.
(c) The princess and the peasant.
(d) The prince and the peasant.
13. What excites Tree-ear?
(a) Catching a catfish.
(b) Catching some crawfish.
(c) Getting a hot meal.
(d) Min calling him son.
14. For how long has Tree-ear been with Crane-man?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 1 year.
15. What happens to Tree-ear as a result of the day's work?
(a) He falls asleep without eating.
(b) He impresses the healer who offers him an apprenticeship.
(c) He falls into the river and almost drowns.
(d) He gets a bad blister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the problem with the sandals Crane-man gave Tree-ear?
2. What does Tree-ear discover after a few days?
3. In what century is A Single Shard set?
4. Why did potters try to find gray-brown clay?
5. What did the village potters begin to do at the kiln?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)