|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was firing a piece of pottery so difficult?
(a) The kiln could not be completely sealed.
(b) The wood never burned the same way twice.
(c) The air pockets in the clay would burst.
(d) The rain cooled it down sometimes.
2. What does Min do the next morning when Tree-ear arrives?
(a) Shows him a new crane he is working on.
(b) Sends him back to the quarry.
(c) Yells at him.
(d) Tells him to ask his wife for breakfast.
3. Where did Tree-ear and Crane-man live during the winter?
(a) A vegetable pit.
(b) In a house in the village.
(c) At the temple.
(d) In a cave in the hills.
4. Where is Tree-ear assigned most recently?
(a) The old forest.
(b) The drain pits.
(c) The quarry mines.
(d) The river banks.
5. What did Crane-man tell Tree-ear about the boy informing Min of Kang's work?
(a) He didn't know the answer.
(b) It would be stealing.
(c) For Tree-ear to ask Kang.
(d) It would be all right.
6. Where does Min send Tree-ear the second day?
(a) To get wood.
(b) To get straw.
(c) To weed the garden.
(d) To help a potter who is ill.
7. What does Tree-ear do about the bowl?
(a) He fills it with water, and the ants float away.
(b) He decides to make a new one.
(c) He finds a more secure place to hide it.
(d) He asks Min for one.
8. What does Tree-ear do with the clay after he mixes it?
(a) Runs it through a sieve.
(b) Fills round molds.
(c) Covers it with sawdust.
(d) Stirs it for hours.
9. For how long has Tree-ear been with Crane-man?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 10 years.
10. What news did a boat bring to Tree-ear's village?
(a) There was a new queen.
(b) The emperor had died.
(c) A royal emissary was coming to the village.
(d) China had invaded the country.
11. Why did potters try to find gray-brown clay?
(a) It fused well with the celadon glaze.
(b) It was the strongest clay.
(c) It was waterproof.
(d) It was considered holy.
12. Where does Tree-ear go after working?
(a) To play with the other boys.
(b) To gather dandelion leaves for a salad.
(c) To see the monk who brought him to Ch'ulp'o.
(d) Back to the bridge.
13. What happens when Tree-ear is told to leave Crane-man?
(a) He tells Crane-man he will come back for him.
(b) He refuses.
(c) He brings Crane-man with him.
(d) He is not told to leave Crane-man.
14. What does Tree-ear learn quickly?
(a) How to throw pots.
(b) How to stay on Min's good side.
(c) How to get clay.
(d) How to glaze Min's pots.
15. In which area of Korea is the novel set?
(a) The heart of Korea.
(b) Western coast.
(c) Northern mountains.
(d) Eastern coast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed with Min about working on the potter's wheel?
2. Why did Tree-ear think Kang might have something special for the kiln?
3. What does Tree-ear request of Min?
4. What type of pottery did Tree-ear plan to be his first one?
5. In what century is A Single Shard set?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)