|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tree-ear?
(a) The son of the village commissioner.
(b) The daughter of the village baker.
(c) A young orphan.
(d) The village potter.
2. What was Tree-ear supposed to do with the wood?
(a) Cover it so it didn't get wet.
(b) Chop it into smaller pieces.
(c) Stack it next to the house.
(d) Take it to the kiln site.
3. What did potters before Kang and Min try to do sometimes with red slip?
(a) Paint their work.
(b) Decorate clothing.
(c) Make inlays.
(d) Make an entire pot of red clay.
4. What does Tree-ear tell the farmer?
(a) About finding a piece of jade.
(b) About the new family in town.
(c) About the hole in the rice bag.
(d) Nothing; he is not allowed to talk to the farmer.
5. What is Tree-ear's response to Crane-man's offer?
(a) He does not want to be a healer.
(b) He does not know his uncle.
(c) He is happy with Crane-man.
(d) He does not want help.
6. Where is Tree-ear assigned most recently?
(a) The river banks.
(b) The old forest.
(c) The drain pits.
(d) The quarry mines.
7. Where did Tree-ear used to live?
8. Why does Tree-ear ask this of Min?
(a) To see how Min made the boxes.
(b) For payment for breaking the pottery.
(c) To satisfy his hunger.
(d) To cheer-up Crane-man.
9. What was different about Min's display for the judging from the other potters?
(a) He had many more pieces than the others.
(b) He did not use live flowers in the vases.
(c) His display put the big pieces on the top shelves.
(d) He had significantly less pieces.
10. What does Tree-ear find difficult?
(a) Pleasing Min.
(b) Taking care of Crane-man.
(c) Liking Min.
(d) Cutting clay from the river bank.
11. Why did Tree-ear visit the kiln every night in Chapter 6?
(a) To see Kang's wine cup.
(b) To bring wood to it.
(c) To see if it needed more wood.
(d) To stand close and get warm.
12. What is Tree-ear sent to collect that day that is different from the last 9 days?
13. Where does Tree-ear hide his bowl?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) In the shed.
(c) Under his robe.
(d) In the garden.
14. What did Crane-man do sometimes at the rice fields?
(a) Weaved mats and sandals out of rice straw.
(b) Begged for rice.
(c) Talked to the women of the village.
15. Where does Tree-ear go after working?
(a) To see the monk who brought him to Ch'ulp'o.
(b) To play with the other boys.
(c) Back to the bridge.
(d) To gather dandelion leaves for a salad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which area of Korea is the novel set?
2. Where do the travelers take Tree-ear?
3. What did Min make more than other potters?
4. When would the potters find out the emissary's decision?
5. What does Tree-ear request of Min?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)