|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suspected Nancy had been having an affair in Chapter Eight?
2. What do Sarah and Hank name their son in Chapter Twelve?
3. When does Hank plan on meeting Carl and the FBI Agent the next day in Chapter Nine?
4. In the middle of the night in Chapter Nine, Hank briefly realizes that the simplest action for him now would be to do what?
5. Who is the older of two brothers who kidnapped and killed a girl described in the newspaper in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the FBI agents respond after hearing Hank's statement in Chapter Eleven?
2. To whom does Hank sell Jacob's truck and other belongings in Chapter Eight?
3. What does Hank ask to borrow from Carl in the beginning of Chapter Ten? Why?
4. What are symbolic elements during the murder at Alexander's in Chapter Twelve?
5. How does Hank attempt to trick Agent Baxter in Chapter Ten? What happens?
6. What newspaper clippings does Hank discover in Chapter Eight?
7. What mode of action does Hank begin to question in Chapter Nine at night?
8. What effect does the snow have on Hank in Chapter Nine? Why?
9. Who found Carl's body? Where? Who tells Hank?
10. Whose funerals does Hank attend in Chapter Eight? What stories emerge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dwight Penderson in the narrative and his role in the plot of the novel. Why did Penderson approach Jacob?
Essay Topic 2
Describe examples of foreshadowing from the text. How does Hank's discovery of the machete and farming manual represent foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Sarah and her relationship with Hank in the novel. What weight does Hank give Sarah's opinion on his actions?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)