|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jacob appears at the feed store demanding that the clerk do what in Chapter Four?
2. What strikes Hank in the forehead in its effort to escape the plane in Chapter One?
3. What does Jacob's dog run in pursuit of in Chapter One?
4. Whom does Lou point a shotgun at in Chapter Six?
5. Whom does Sarah say she ran into at the supermarket in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Hank come to about Penderson in Chapter Three? Why?
2. Why does Jacob cry in Chapter Three? What argument ensues between Jacob and Hank?
3. Where does Hank stow some of the money in Chapter Three? How does he hide the fact from Jacob?
4. What does Hank do with Penderson's snowmobile in Chapter Three?
5. What do Hank, Lou, and Jacob question about the money from the plane after finding it in Chapter One?
6. What does Hank find inside the crashed plane in Chapter One?
7. What does Hank feel about his brother's future in Chapter Five? Why does he change his mind?
8. When and how did Hank's parents die?
9. Where does Hank find Sarah in the morning of Chapter Three?
10. What argument does Hank, Lou and Jacob each make for what to do with the money in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dwight Penderson in the narrative and his role in the plot of the novel. Why did Penderson approach Jacob?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in the novel. How does Jacob's bear represent family symbolically in Chapter Five?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the emotional and physical conflicts presented in Chapter Six. How does this chapter mark the beginning of the climax of the novel?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)