|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lou point a shotgun at in Chapter Six?
2. How long before his death had Hank's father asked him to look into their financial situation?
3. Where is Penderson buried in Chapter Four?
4. Where does Hank tell Carl he was heading in Chapter Two?
5. Whom does Jacob suggest that he and Hank tell about Penderson in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jacob Mitchell live? Why does he meet with Hank in the beginning of Chapter One?
2. What does Jacob ask Hank and Carl when he emerges from the truck in Chapter One?
3. What plan does Sarah develop for Lou in Chapter Five? Why?
4. Who attempts to stop the violent argument in Chapter Six? What happens?
5. Why do Hank, Lou, and Jacob enter Anders Nature Preserve in Chapter One?
6. Who do Hank, Lou and Jacob encounter when they return to the truck in Chapter One?
7. Where does Hank stow some of the money in Chapter Three? How does he hide the fact from Jacob?
8. How do Sarah's motivations begin to evolve in Chapter Four? What does this indicate?
9. Why does Jacob spend the night at Hank's in Chapter Five? What agreement does he come to with Hank?
10. What decision does Hank come to about Penderson in Chapter Three? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the element of theme in literature. How is the theme of trust established in Chapter One?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel and Hank Mitchell as the protagonist. What character traits does Hank embody in Chapter One?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the emotional and physical conflicts presented in Chapter Six. How does this chapter mark the beginning of the climax of the novel?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)