|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action was taken because of Brother Marcos' letter?
2. Who did the natives murder?
3. In what year did the settlers travel inland from Santa Marta?
4. A witness to the killing of King Atahualpa was from what Order?
5. De las Casas says that the Spaniards never did what in the New World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Beltran Nuno de Guzman? What positions did he serve in? Why did he flee from Mexico City? How did he treat the natives that he encountered? Give at least three specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
A number of reports were made about the atrocities committed in the New World. Why do you think nothing was done about it by the king of Spain or by groups like the Council of the Indies? Why do you think they continued to allow the abuses to happen? What were they focused on instead?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Spanish conquistadors kill the native people? Describe at least three different methods that the Spanish used. Why do you think they used such brutal measures against the natives?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)