|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the new commander come to Santa Marta?
2. Pizzarro told the people of Tumba that he was going to make them members of what?
3. What did one community do as the Spanish approached?
4. The river Yuyapari runs through which province?
5. How many years had the atrocities been going on when de las Casas wrote the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the Dominicans play in the New World? How did they try to help the native people? Where they successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Spanish and the native people in their weapons and ability to impose their will on others. What advantages and disadvantages did each group have? Why were the Spanish able to conquer the native people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what slavery was like for the native people. What tasks were they forced to perform? How were they treated? What dangers did they face? Why did so many of the enslaved natives die? How did the Spanish obtain their slaves?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)