|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened if the natives obeyed the Spanish?
2. What weapons did the natives use against the Spanish?
3. How many people were killed in Honduras?
4. New Spain was founded in what year?
5. What was the largest city in the Kingdom of Guatemala?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Quesada treat the native people of New Granada? Give specific examples from the book.
2. What did King Bacata agree to do? How did this turn out?
3. What did Brother Marcus witness? What did he do in response?
4. How did the Spanish kill the native people in Cuba? What did some of the native people do to avoid the torture and brutal killings?
5. How did the Spaniards treat the native people that they encountered? Give examples from the book.
6. What did Hatuey tell his people? What happened to Hatuey?
7. What were the islands of Puerto Rico and Jamaica known for? What happened when the Spanish landed there?
8. How did the Spanish treat the individuals along the River Plate? Give specific examples from the book.
9. What happened in the city of Cholula? Describe the situation.
10. How did the Guatemalans receive the Spanish? What did the Spanish do? How did the neighboring groups react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Spanish treat the natives in the New World? Give at least three specific examples from the book to back up your answer. Why did they treat them like this?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Beltran Nuno de Guzman? What positions did he serve in? Why did he flee from Mexico City? How did he treat the natives that he encountered? Give at least three specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Out of all of the Spanish discussed in the book, who do you feel was the most brutal toward the native people? Why? What actions did this person take toward the native peoples? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)