|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Spanish do to the women and girls?
2. What did the Spanish gain from killing Paris and his people?
3. Nicolas de Ovando asked the native people to do what at the festival they threw for him?
4. The area experienced a shortage of what food?
5. What did the Spanish force Montezuma to tell the citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Spanish kill the native people in Cuba? What did some of the native people do to avoid the torture and brutal killings?
2. Who was de las Casas? What was his reason for being in the New World?
3. What happened to the natives that first escaped the Spaniards? What did the Spaniards do when the natives killed one of the soldiers?
4. Where did the Spaniards first land in the Indies? What happened in this first encounter?
5. Who led the conquest in Yucatan? How did he secure this position? What did he do in the conquest?
6. What happened in the kingdoms of Marien and Maguana? Give examples from the book. What were these kingdoms known for?
7. What does de las Casas attribute the violence to? Why did he think the Spanish acted as they did?
8. Why did some of the natives lose faith in the Dominicans? What did they do? How did the Dominicans feel about this?
9. Why did de las Casas write his book? What did he hope to accomplish?
10. How did Avila treat the people in Nicaragua? Give specific examples from the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did gold play in the events in the New World? Why did the Spanish want to obtain gold? What actions did this lead to in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Spanish conquistadors kill the native people? Describe at least three different methods that the Spanish used. Why do you think they used such brutal measures against the natives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what slavery was like for the native people. What tasks were they forced to perform? How were they treated? What dangers did they face? Why did so many of the enslaved natives die? How did the Spanish obtain their slaves?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)