|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrived in New Spain in 1525?
2. Where was King Guarionex sent?
3. What resource did the Spanish begin using up?
4. When one Spanish commander couldn't sleep because of the screams, what did he ask the executioner to do?
5. Hatuey fled from Hispaniola to where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the city of Cholula? Describe the situation.
2. Who arrived in New Spain in 1525? What position did he hold? What did he do with the native people?
3. What were the islands of Puerto Rico and Jamaica known for? What happened when the Spanish landed there?
4. What did Brother Marcus witness? What did he do in response?
5. Why did the Spanish establish a permanent settlement in Santa Marta? What did the new commander do to the area?
6. Why did de las Casas write the book? Who was his audience?
7. Who was Paris? How did the encounter go between his territory and the Spanish? What happened afterward?
8. Where is the river Yuyapari located? How was it discovered?
9. What happened between Pizzarro and King Atahualpa? How was Atahualpa killed?
10. Where did the Spaniards first land in the Indies? What happened in this first encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The friars in the Yucatan were able to make some differences in the lives of the natives for a time. How did they accomplish this? How did the village change? What led to the disruption of this situation? Why were the friars not able to return?
Essay Topic 2
What did the King and Queen of Spain hope to accomplish in the New World? Why was this important to them? Did the Spanish follow their wishes in the New World? Give examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the five different kingdoms of Hispaniola. Who led each of the kingdoms? What happened to the leaders and the people in each kingdom? Why do you think these actions were taken by the Spanish?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)