|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the natives did not obey the claims of the Spanish, they were labeled what?
2. What was the largest city in the Kingdom of Guatemala?
3. How many children died while De Las Casas was in Cuba?
4. What did the Spanish do to the villages?
5. What happened to Hatuey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were German merchants given control of the slave trade in Venezuela? What effect did this have?
2. Why did Guzman head inland? What did he do to the leader of the Michoacans?
3. What was the purpose of the expeditions? Was this purpose accomplished? Why or why not?
4. Who confronted Bono? What reply did Bono give?
5. What happened to the people of Nicaragua after the Spanish arrived? Why couldn't they escape?
6. What did Pizzarro do in Tumba to the natives? Give specific details from the book.
7. Why did de las Casas write the book? Who was his audience?
8. The situation became worse for the natives after what happened? Why did this worsen the situation?
9. Who was Paris? How did the encounter go between his territory and the Spanish? What happened afterward?
10. Where did Hernando de Soto arrive at? What was his plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what slavery was like for the native people. What tasks were they forced to perform? How were they treated? What dangers did they face? Why did so many of the enslaved natives die? How did the Spanish obtain their slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Montezuma? What did the Spanish do to him and his people? Give specific examples from the book. Why did the Spanish do these things? How did Montezuma and his people react?
Essay Topic 3
If you were the King or Queen of Spain, how would you have reacted to the letters sent to you by the Dominicans and other missionaries describing the abuse of the natives? What would you have done to change the situation? Why do you think the officials did not try to end the abuse?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)