|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicolas de Ovando was granted the title of governor in 1501 for which kingdom?
2. Which kingdom was considered the heart and soul of the island?
3. Nicolas de Ovando asked the native people to do what at the festival they threw for him?
4. How many people did the Spaniards kill on the day they decided to go on a killing spree?
5. Avila established a system of licenses where the Spanish could demand what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrived in 1514? What was this person like? What were his goals for the mainland?
2. How did the Spaniards treat the native people that they encountered? Give examples from the book.
3. What is the province of Santa Marta known as today? Why did the Spanish go to this province?
4. What happened between Pizzarro and King Atahualpa? How was Atahualpa killed?
5. What was one of the deadliest jobs that the natives were forced to do? Why was this dangerous?
6. Why did de las Casas write his book? What did he hope to accomplish?
7. What did Fray Juan Fernandez de Angulo do?
8. What did King Bacata agree to do? How did this turn out?
9. Who traveled to Peru in 1531? What was he looking for? What happened in the first few towns?
10. Where was the province of Cartagena located? What happened in this province when the Spanish arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did gold play in the events in the New World? Why did the Spanish want to obtain gold? What actions did this lead to in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Spanish and the native people in their weapons and ability to impose their will on others. What advantages and disadvantages did each group have? Why were the Spanish able to conquer the native people?
Essay Topic 3
What did the King and Queen of Spain hope to accomplish in the New World? Why was this important to them? Did the Spanish follow their wishes in the New World? Give examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)