|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage did the Spaniards have over the native people?
2. What did the Spanish want that the Guatemalans didn't have?
3. What did the Spaniards make the captives eat?
4. Which Christian missionary was present?
5. De Las Casas says that Avila was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the natives that were captured? Give examples from the book.
2. How did the Spaniards treat the native people that they encountered? Give examples from the book.
3. Who led the conquest in Yucatan? How did he secure this position? What did he do in the conquest?
4. Where is the river Yuyapari located? How was it discovered?
5. Who was King Guarionex? What happened to him after the Spaniards came to the Indies?
6. What was one of the deadliest jobs that the natives were forced to do? Why was this dangerous?
7. Who arrived in New Spain in 1525? What position did he hold? What did he do with the native people?
8. How did de Soto treat the natives? Give specific examples from the book.
9. Where did Hernando de Soto arrive at? What was his plan?
10. What did the missionaries do? Were their actions successful? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Spanish conquistadors kill the native people? Describe at least three different methods that the Spanish used. Why do you think they used such brutal measures against the natives?
Essay Topic 2
A number of reports were made about the atrocities committed in the New World. Why do you think nothing was done about it by the king of Spain or by groups like the Council of the Indies? Why do you think they continued to allow the abuses to happen? What were they focused on instead?
Essay Topic 3
The natives tried at times to fight back against the Spanish. Describe at least two situations in which the natives attacked the Spanish or fought back in some way. What was the outcome of the situation? Were the natives successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)