|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hatuey ask the friar when the friar tried to convert him?
(a) When he would die
(b) If his family could go to heaven to
(c) Whether God would save him
(d) If Spaniards were in heaven
2. In what city were the Spanish welcomed with great pomp and circumstance?
3. Why was A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies written?
(a) To let the Spanish government know about the glorious acts of its citizens in the New World
(b) To analyze the social problems that had developed in the New World
(c) To inform the King of Spain of the murder and gold hoarding that was taking place in the New World
(d) To record the history of Spain in the New World
4. Which group was rounded up first for the Spanish?
(b) Young men
(c) Young women
(d) The Elderly
5. When one Spanish commander couldn't sleep because of the screams, what did he ask the executioner to do?
(a) Cut out the person's tongue
(b) Hurry up the death
(c) Take the execution to another part of the island
(d) Let the person go
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fled to the mountains to hide from the Spanish?
2. Who did their best to bring justice to the land?
3. When did Queen Isabella of Spain die?
4. How many people did the Spanish kill around Mexico City?
5. Why did the native people take up arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did de las Casas feel about the way that the Spaniards treated the natives? Why was it hard for him to write down information about the killings?
2. Where did the Spaniards first land in the Indies? What happened in this first encounter?
3. What did Hatuey tell his people? What happened to Hatuey?
4. What were the Friars worried about? What did they do in response to this worry?
5. What does de las Casas attribute the violence to? Why did he think the Spanish acted as they did?
6. Who was de las Casas? What was his reason for being in the New World?
7. Why did some of the natives lose faith in the Dominicans? What did they do? How did the Dominicans feel about this?
8. How did the Spanish kill the native people in Cuba? What did some of the native people do to avoid the torture and brutal killings?
9. Who traveled to Peru in 1531? What was he looking for? What happened in the first few towns?
10. What is the province of Santa Marta known as today? Why did the Spanish go to this province?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)