|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children died while De Las Casas was in Cuba?
2. The Spanish said that for every one Spaniard who died, how many natives would be killed?
3. How many people did the Spanish kill around Mexico City?
4. What did the Spanish force Montezuma to tell the citizens?
(a) To give the Spanish all their belongings
(b) To covert to Christianity
(c) To kill themselves
(d) To stop fighting
5. What was the first territory on which the Spanish landed?
(a) Island of Genoa
(b) Island of Hispaniola
(c) Island of Sagres
(d) Island of San Salvador
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the native people take up arms?
2. What did Hatuey call the God of the Spaniards?
3. The citizens of Mexico City were forced to do what before they were killed?
4. Who was the king in Mexico City?
5. What happened to the native people who were not killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did de las Casas write his book? What did he hope to accomplish?
2. Who traveled to Peru in 1531? What was he looking for? What happened in the first few towns?
3. The situation became worse for the natives after what happened? Why did this worsen the situation?
4. What were the islands of Puerto Rico and Jamaica known for? What happened when the Spanish landed there?
5. What was the purpose of the expeditions? Was this purpose accomplished? Why or why not?
6. Who traveled inland to New Granada? What did he find?
7. Who was de las Casas? What was his reason for being in the New World?
8. Where did the Spaniards first land in the Indies? What happened in this first encounter?
9. How did the Guatemalans fight back against the Spanish? Were they successful? Why or why not?
10. What did Avila establish in Nicaragua? Why did he establish this policy? What were the consequences?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)