|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joy Davidman?
2. What did Van do with Davy's wedding ring as she died?
3. Why did Van want to reject Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
4. Who does C.S. Lewis say love should be passed on to after children?
5. Why does Van seek eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Severe Mercy," what did Van realize would happen if Davy had not died?
2. What did Van realize about Davy's barter with God in "The Deathly Snows?"
3. Why did Davy bargain with God in "The Barrier Breached?"
4. What was the Illumination of the Past?
5. What did Lewis warn Van about in terms of eternity?
6. How did Lewis respond to Van's attempt to disown Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
7. Why did Lewis talk to Van about his decision not to have children with Davy?
8. Why did Van become jealous of Davy's religious practices in "The Barrier Breached?"
9. How did Lewis respond to Van's first letter in "The Way of Grief?"
10. What shocked Van about Virginia after staying at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two disagreements Van has with Lewis in this novel. Consider the topic of the argument, the opinions shared, and the result.
Essay Topic 2
Track Van's religious development throughout the book. Where does he end? How does he get there? What is the purpose of Van's religious development?
Essay Topic 3
How does education act as a presence in this book? How does education shape the characters and drive the plot? What conflicts arise in regards to education?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)