|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upset Van about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
2. What did Davy's friends give her after she returned home in "The Deathly Snows?"
3. Why did C.S. Lewis say men are like dogs?
4. What does Van say would have made him hate God in "The Severe Mercy?"
5. What did Davy say when she slipped into a coma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Severe Mercy," what did Van realize would happen if Davy had not died?
2. What happened when Davy slips into a coma?
3. How did Van bring together an intellectual Christian group at "Li'l Dreary?"
4. What did Davy keep with her in the hospital when she returned the second time?
5. Why did Lewis talk to Van about his decision not to have children with Davy?
6. Why did Davy bargain with God in "The Barrier Breached?"
7. What does Van's poem about Halloween say?
8. How did Davy help the hospital staff?
9. What did Van do before sailing back to Virginia in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
10. What was the Illumination of the Past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Track Davy's religious development throughout the book. Where does it end? How does she get there? What is the purpose of Davy's religious development?
Essay Topic 2
How is Davy's death a turning point in this book? What things does Davy's death change for Van? How does Davy's death affect the message of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine three ways that Lewis is shown as a religious hero. How does the author portray Lewis is this way?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)