|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does C.S. Lewis say love should be passed on to after children?
2. What did Van teach at Lynchburg?
3. What did Van agree to give up for Davy's wellness in "The Deathly Snows?"
4. What did Van see on his way to the hospital in "The Deathly Snows?"
5. Where did Davy work when she lived in Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Van break "the barrier" in "The Barrier Breached?"
2. What shocked Van about Virginia after staying at Oxford?
3. Why did Van write letters to several friends in "The Way of Grief?"
4. Why did Lewis talk to Van about his decision not to have children with Davy?
5. What vision of Davy did Van have in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
6. How did Van compare seeing the "Davies" to a novel?
7. What did Van do before sailing back to Virginia in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
8. How did Lewis reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
9. What does Van's poem about Halloween say?
10. How did Van and Davy reunite after breaking their barrier in "The Barrier Breached?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on three examples of Lewis' writing in the book. Why was each piece written? What is the effect of each piece? How successful is each example of writing?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of intellectual communities in this book? How are they formed? What do they do? How do these communities affect the individuals and their story?
Essay Topic 3
Track Van's religious development throughout the book. Where does he end? How does he get there? What is the purpose of Van's religious development?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)