|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Davy work when she lived in Virginia?
2. Why does Van say he offered his own life for Davy's goodness in "The Severe Mercy?"
3. What upset Van about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
4. What flower did Van decide to bring Davy every day she was in the hospital?
5. What did Van do with Davy's ring when he sailed to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lewis reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
2. How did Van break "the barrier" in "The Barrier Breached?"
3. How did Lewis respond to Van's attempt to disown Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
4. What does Van's poem about Halloween say?
5. Why was Davy's death described as a "severe mercy?"
6. What was the Illumination of the Past?
7. How did Lewis respond to Van's first letter in "The Way of Grief?"
8. What made Van stop writing letters to Davy?
9. How did Van reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
10. In "The Severe Mercy," what did Van realize would happen if Davy had not died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Van and Davy's "shining barrier" is. How do they form it? How is it successful or unsuccessful? What is the purpose of the barrier?
Essay Topic 2
Examine three Bible references used in the book. Why was each included? How do the references support the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of time as it is presented in the book. What lesson is provided by examining time in the text?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)