|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Davy have with her in the hospital when she returned the second time?
2. How did Van want God to treat him in "The Barrier Breached?"
3. Why did Van want to reject Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
4. What upset Van about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
5. Who was Joy Davidman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Van think of the Grey Goose in "The Way of Grief?"
2. What happened when Davy slips into a coma?
3. What was the Illumination of the Past?
4. In "The Severe Mercy," what did Van realize would happen if Davy had not died?
5. What did Van realize about Davy's barter with God in "The Deathly Snows?"
6. How did Van break "the barrier" in "The Barrier Breached?"
7. What happened to Joy's health?
8. How did Van compare seeing the "Davies" to a novel?
9. What made Van stop writing letters to Davy?
10. What does Van's poem about Halloween say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Van's poetry. Choose three of Van's poems and discuss their literary value, purpose, and devices used in each poem.
Essay Topic 2
What is the impact of Davy's illness? How is her illness symbolic? How does her illness develop Van at a person? What message does the author convey in Davy's illness?
Essay Topic 3
How are rituals a theme in this book? What do rituals do for people? What is the author saying about the power of rituals?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)