|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did C.S Lewis believe was pursuing Van?
2. What did Van and Davy worship as the holiest existence while in Hawaii?
3. What eventually happens to the sand in "The Sands?"
4. Where did Van and Davy spend the day before leaving their first year at Oxford?
5. Why did Van and Davy decide not to live at sea after their first year at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Van and Davy do as soon as the war ended?
2. How did C.S. Lewis compare himself to Van in his letters?
3. How did Van react the first time he returns to Glenmerle?
4. What was Davy's "sin picture?"
5. How did Lewis respond when Van considered changing his major to Theology?
6. What did the shadow of the ship's masts in Hawaii make Van think of?
7. Why did C.S. Lewis say he favors Christianity to other world religions?
8. Why did Davy and Van decide not to have children?
9. How did Van say spending a year in Kensington changed him?
10. Why did Davy feel guilty after the man in the park exposed himself to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on three examples of Lewis' writing in the book. Why was each piece written? What is the effect of each piece? How successful is each example of writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does education act as a presence in this book? How does education shape the characters and drive the plot? What conflicts arise in regards to education?
Essay Topic 3
Track Davy's religious development throughout the book. Where does it end? How does she get there? What is the purpose of Davy's religious development?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)