|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Van return to Glenmerle for the first time?
2. How does Van describe Davy?
3. What did Van and Davy call their "shining barrier?"
4. What boat did Van and Davy buy in Miami after the War?
5. What does the sand blow against when Van likens Christ to sand in "The Sands?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Van react the first time he returns to Glenmerle?
2. Why did Van and Davy call their schooner Grey Goose?
3. What happened when Van and Davy started reading C.S. Lewis novels?
4. Why did Van and Davy call their love the "pagan love"?
5. What did Van and Davy decide to do after leaving their first year at Oxford?
6. What did Lewis say in his letters about the simplification of religions?
7. What ground rules did Davy and Van create before getting married?
8. How did the bombing of Pearl Harbor affect Van and Davy?
9. What did the shadow of the ship's masts in Hawaii make Van think of?
10. What did Van and Davy do as soon as the war ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Davy's death a turning point in this book? What things does Davy's death change for Van? How does Davy's death affect the message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between different religious ideas and religions as introduced in this book. Choose three ideologies to focus on. Consider their beliefs, their practices, and the impact of each belief.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of intellectual communities in this book? How are they formed? What do they do? How do these communities affect the individuals and their story?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)