|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van see when he looked at his boyhood house for the first time since leaving it?
2. How did Van describe Christianity after seeing the cross-like shadow?
3. What is "The Sands?"
4. What did Van say God must help him with at the end of "Encounter with Light?"
5. What did C.S Lewis believe was pursuing Van?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Van and Davy do when they invited people over to their apartment near Oxford?
2. Why did Davy and Van decide to live at sea?
3. Why did Davy and Van decide not to have children?
4. What did Van and Davy decide to do after leaving their first year at Oxford?
5. How did the bombing of Pearl Harbor affect Van and Davy?
6. Why did C.S. Lewis say he favors Christianity to other world religions?
7. What did Van say happened when he decided to seek the highest of emotions?
8. How did C.S. Lewis respond to Van's desire for the presence of God to be obvious?
9. How did Van connect Glenmerle to Davy?
10. What was Davy and Van's wedding like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on three examples of Lewis' writing in the book. Why was each piece written? What is the effect of each piece? How successful is each example of writing?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of privacy in this book. Show how the author uses this theme to explore religion.
Essay Topic 3
How are rituals a theme in this book? What do rituals do for people? What is the author saying about the power of rituals?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)