|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Davy let go of during her first flight?
2. How did Van feel about God while living at Glenmerle?
3. Where did Van and Davy live during their first year at Oxford?
4. What did Van's dinner group in England do?
5. How did Van describe Christianity after seeing the cross-like shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Van write in "The Sands?"
2. Why did Davy and Van sail to Oxford at the end of "The Shadow of a Tree?"
3. What did Van say happened when he decided to seek the highest of emotions?
4. What did Van and Davy do when they invited people over to their apartment near Oxford?
5. How did C.S. Lewis respond to Van's desire for the presence of God to be obvious?
6. Why did Van and Davy call their love the "pagan love"?
7. Why did C.S. Lewis say he favors Christianity to other world religions?
8. What was Davy and Van's wedding like?
9. What was Davy's "sin picture?"
10. How did Van say spending a year in Kensington changed him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Davy's death a turning point in this book? What things does Davy's death change for Van? How does Davy's death affect the message of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of privacy in this book. Show how the author uses this theme to explore religion.
Essay Topic 3
Sailing is a dream of Van's and referenced often. Explore the symbolism of sailing and life on the sea. How does this symbol help develop the book?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)