|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "The Sands?"
2. Who bombed Pearl Harbor?
3. What happened when Davy remembered mocking people for having religious faith?
4. What did C.S Lewis believe was pursuing Van?
5. What did C.S. Lewis say about religions born in jungles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Van and Davy do as soon as the war ended?
2. What did the shadow of the ship's masts in Hawaii make Van think of?
3. What confused Van about world religions in "Encounter with Light?"
4. Why did Van and Davy call their love the "pagan love"?
5. How did C.S. Lewis respond to Van's desire for the presence of God to be obvious?
6. Why did Davy feel guilty after the man in the park exposed himself to her?
7. What happened when Van and Davy started reading C.S. Lewis novels?
8. What did Van and Davy decide to do after leaving their first year at Oxford?
9. What did Lewis say in his letters about the simplification of religions?
10. What was Davy and Van's wedding like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sailing is a dream of Van's and referenced often. Explore the symbolism of sailing and life on the sea. How does this symbol help develop the book?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on three examples of Lewis' writing in the book. Why was each piece written? What is the effect of each piece? How successful is each example of writing?
Essay Topic 3
Track Davy's religious development throughout the book. Where does it end? How does she get there? What is the purpose of Davy's religious development?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)