|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion did Lewis praise in Van in "The Way of Grief?"
2. What did Davy's friends give her after she returned home in "The Deathly Snows?"
3. What disease did C.S. Lewis suffer from?
(d) Heart disease.
4. Where did Van leave some of Davy's ashes?
(a) In England.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At Glenmerle.
(d) At the stone cross.
5. How did Van get his students into a lively debate in "The Barrier Breached?"
(a) They discussed money.
(b) They discussed scientific theory.
(c) They discussed rhetoric.
(d) They discussed marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ladywood located?
2. How did Van end his letters in "The Way of Grief?"
3. How did Van start a social group in Virginia like the one he had at Oxford?
4. Who said "all shall be most well" in "The Deathly Snows?"
5. What memory did Van have when he returned to Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Van become jealous of Davy's religious practices in "The Barrier Breached?"
2. What vision of Davy did Van have in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
3. How did Lewis reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
4. How did Van bring together an intellectual Christian group at "Li'l Dreary?"
5. How did Van reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
6. What made Van stop writing letters to Davy?
7. How did Lewis respond to Van's first letter in "The Way of Grief?"
8. How did Van and Davy reunite after breaking their barrier in "The Barrier Breached?"
9. What was the Illumination of the Past?
10. What does Van's poem about Halloween say?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)