|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Davy do in "Epilogue: The Second Death" when Van first saw her?
2. Where did Van go at the end of the book?
(a) To France.
(b) To Russia.
(c) Back to Virginia.
(d) To London.
3. What disease did C.S. Lewis suffer from?
(c) Heart disease.
4. Why didn't the hospital accept payment for Davy's stay?
(a) They never explained why.
(b) They said someone else already paid.
(c) They said they failed her.
(d) They said she did too much for them.
5. What did Van realize about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
(a) He had to save them all.
(b) He could not write them anymore.
(c) He should publish them.
(d) He needed to write one a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van see when he envisioned all the "Davies" he had known after she died?
2. Why does Van say he offered his own life for Davy's goodness in "The Severe Mercy?"
3. Where is Ladywood located?
4. What did Van say when Davy asked him not to follow her in death?
5. What makes the moments Van reflects on in "The Severe Mercy" imperfect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Van stop writing letters to Davy?
2. What happened to Joy's health?
3. What shocked Van about Virginia after staying at Oxford?
4. Why did Van write letters to several friends in "The Way of Grief?"
5. What did Davy do when she returned home after being in the hospital?
6. What was the Illumination of the Past?
7. How did Lewis respond to Van's first letter in "The Way of Grief?"
8. How did Van compare seeing the "Davies" to a novel?
9. What made Van think of the Grey Goose in "The Way of Grief?"
10. How did Lewis reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)