|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Van describe American's devotion to church?
2. Why does C.S. Lewis say Davy's death had to happen?
(a) Because the devil exists.
(b) Because it is unavoidable.
(c) For God to make a point.
(d) For the good of Van.
3. Where did Van leave some of Davy's ashes?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At the stone cross.
(c) At Glenmerle.
(d) In England.
4. What advice did C.S. Lewis give Van after Davy's death?
(a) To eat well.
(b) To get rest.
(c) To keep his faith.
(d) To write letters to all his friends.
5. What did Van see on his way to the hospital in "The Deathly Snows?"
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A flower patch.
(c) A baby.
(d) A sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis say is most important about eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
2. Why does Van seek eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
3. What did Davy have with her in the hospital when she returned the second time?
4. Why didn't the hospital accept payment for Davy's stay?
5. What makes Van call Davy's religion an obedience in "The Severe Mercy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lewis talk to Van about his decision not to have children with Davy?
2. How did Van reflect on time in "The Severe Mercy?"
3. How did Van and Davy reunite after breaking their barrier in "The Barrier Breached?"
4. What did Van feel when he returned to Oxford in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
5. Why was Davy's death described as a "severe mercy?"
6. What made Van stop writing letters to Davy?
7. Why did Van write letters to several friends in "The Way of Grief?"
8. What did Davy keep with her in the hospital when she returned the second time?
9. What was the Illumination of the Past?
10. How did Lewis respond to Van's attempt to disown Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)