|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Van compare seeing all the "Davies" to?
(a) A song.
(b) A poem.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A novel.
2. What does Van realize about how God took Davy?
(a) He was meaningful.
(b) He was quick.
(c) He was cruel.
(d) He was gentle.
3. What did Davy do in "Epilogue: The Second Death" when Van first saw her?
4. What did Van say when Davy asked him not to follow her in death?
(a) He said he wouldn't.
(b) He said he had to.
(c) He said nothing.
(d) He said it was not up to him.
5. Where did Jane come from when she visited Van and Davy?
(d) Washington, DC.
6. What book did Van and Davy read together when she came home from the hospital?
(a) The Book of Common Prayer.
(b) The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Bible.
7. What did Van pray for when he met Joy?
(a) Her soul being saved.
(b) Her recovery.
(c) He faith to return.
(d) Her help with his faith.
8. What did Davy say about Van's letters in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
(a) That she could not read them.
(b) That she wanted him to stop writing them.
(c) That she had some for him in return.
(d) That she read them all.
9. Who said "all shall be most well" in "The Deathly Snows?"
(d) The hospital nurses.
10. Why did Van want to reject Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
(a) He was angry about losing Davy.
(b) He believed more in Buddhism.
(c) He did not get a second sign for God.
(d) He found out Lewis lied to him.
11. What did C.S. Lewis tell Van to avoid in "The Barrier Breached?"
(a) Talking with his students outside of school.
(b) A full professorship.
(c) Clergy who do not believe.
(d) Churches without bells.
12. Why did Davy begin praying for Van to have a relationship with God?
(a) She always included Van in her prayers.
(b) She knew she would get sicker.
(c) She realized he is distant.
(d) She thought it would be better for their relationship.
13. What advice did C.S. Lewis give Van after Davy's death?
(a) To keep his faith.
(b) To eat well.
(c) To write letters to all his friends.
(d) To get rest.
14. Why does C.S. Lewis say Davy's death had to happen?
(a) Because the devil exists.
(b) Because it is unavoidable.
(c) For God to make a point.
(d) For the good of Van.
15. What does Van say people must pass through to get to eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
(a) A window.
(b) A corridor.
(c) A trap door.
(d) A hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van realize about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
2. What makes the moments Van reflects on in "The Severe Mercy" imperfect?
3. How does Van decide to honor Davy's memory?
4. How did Van feel about Davy's faith in "The Barrier Breached?"
5. What did the Illumination of the Past make Van wonder about death?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)