|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Davy say when she slipped into a coma?
(a) "Oh love."
(b) "It's alright."
(c) "My God."
(d) "Go on."
2. Why did Davy start praying with the other patients when she was in the hospital for the second time?
(a) She missed her Christian group.
(b) She was comforting them.
(c) She wanted to live longer.
(d) She said it was her calling.
3. How did Van greet Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
(a) With a kiss.
(b) With a hug.
(c) With a handshake.
(d) He was too afraid to move.
4. Why did Van borrow back the letters Davy wrote to her friends?
(a) To form a collection.
(b) To bury them with her.
(c) To burn.
(d) To look for signs she loved him.
5. What did Van do with Davy's ring when he sailed to England?
(a) Tied it to the mast.
(b) Dropped it in the water.
(c) Left it on the boat.
(d) Left it in Virginia.
6. What did C.S. Lewis believe about an omniscient God?
(a) Everyone is good inside.
(b) No one knows their future.
(c) Nothing is on purpose.
(d) Everything has a purpose.
7. When did Van work on the Illumination of the Past?
(a) He never got around to working on it.
(b) For a month after Davy's death.
(c) Sunday mornings.
(d) Every day after work.
8. Where did Van leave some of Davy's ashes?
(a) At Glenmerle.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In England.
(d) At the stone cross.
9. How did Van feel about Davy's faith in "The Barrier Breached?"
(a) He was entertained.
(b) He was jealous.
(c) He was bored.
(d) He was inspired.
10. Why did Davy begin praying for Van to have a relationship with God?
(a) She thought it would be better for their relationship.
(b) She knew she would get sicker.
(c) She realized he is distant.
(d) She always included Van in her prayers.
11. What does Van say would have made him hate God in "The Severe Mercy?"
(a) Van's recent study of Buddhism.
(b) God's inability of sending signs to Van.
(c) Davy's relationship with God.
(d) Davy's illness.
12. What disease did C.S. Lewis suffer from?
(d) Heart disease.
13. How does Van decide to honor Davy's memory?
(a) By keeping all her letters.
(b) By donating to church.
(c) By being devoted to God.
(d) By naming a school after her.
14. What did Van say he knows for sure after Davy dies?
(a) That he would be next.
(b) That she continued on.
(c) That he was alone.
(d) That she loved him.
15. What did Van realize about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
(a) He should publish them.
(b) He needed to write one a day.
(c) He had to save them all.
(d) He could not write them anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van do when he heard Davy's pulse was slowing?
2. How did C.S. Lewis respond to Van's analogy of the "Davies?"
3. Why did Davy pray for herself to live just one more year?
4. Where did Van go when he wanted to reject Christ in "The Way of Grief?"
5. What does "second death" mean?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)