|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jane and Van discuss after Davy went to bed?
(a) Their jobs.
(b) Davy's health.
2. Where did Davy work when she lived in Virginia?
(a) A bank.
(b) A library.
(c) A school.
(d) An accounting firm.
3. What did Van send with Davy's letter to C.S. Lewis in "The Way of Grief?"
(a) A Bible.
(b) A picture of Davy.
(d) A letter of his own.
4. What did Davy have with her in the hospital when she returned the second time?
(a) Julian's Bible.
(b) One of her paintings.
(c) One of Van's poems.
(d) Jane's letters.
5. What did Van say when Davy asked him not to follow her in death?
(a) He said nothing.
(b) He said he had to.
(c) He said he wouldn't.
(d) He said it was not up to him.
6. What did Van see on his way to the hospital in "The Deathly Snows?"
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A baby.
(c) A flower patch.
(d) A sunset.
7. What does Van decide could replace nostalgia?
(b) Realizing time moves people closer to God.
(c) Reminders to live for the present.
(d) Daily tasks.
8. What upset Van about his letters to Davy in "Epilogue: The Second Death?"
(a) She did not want them.
(b) He no longer wrote "you."
(c) They were selfish.
(d) He lost them.
9. How did Van start a social group in Virginia like the one he had at Oxford?
(a) He had Davy invite friends over.
(b) He invited a student over.
(c) He called C.S. Lewis.
(d) He put up posters.
10. What did Van agree to give up for Davy's wellness in "The Deathly Snows?"
(a) His faith.
(b) His dreams.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His work.
11. What does Van say people must pass through to get to eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
(a) A hole.
(b) A corridor.
(c) A window.
(d) A trap door.
12. What makes the moments Van reflects on in "The Severe Mercy" imperfect?
(a) People are not perfect.
(b) Memory tainted them.
(c) Hatred is everywhere.
(d) Time affected them.
13. Who did Davy write a poem for in "The Barrier Breached?"
14. Why does Van seek eternity in "The Severe Mercy?"
(a) To be free of time.
(b) To meet God.
(c) To be with Davy.
(d) To end the pain.
15. What did Davy's friends give her after she returned home in "The Deathly Snows?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van do with Davy's wedding ring as she died?
2. Why did C.S. Lewis say men are like dogs?
3. What memory did Van have when he returned to Lincoln?
4. What did Van and Davy do on the veranda every day in the hospital?
5. Who does C.S. Lewis say love should be passed on to after children?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)