|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Van and Davy do when they needed to make a decision?
(a) They listened to music.
(b) Read books.
(c) They made lists.
(d) They acted on their first impulse.
2. What does Van believe the pain he feels in losing Davy is worth?
(a) The motivation to write a novel.
(b) The chance to travel the world.
(c) The joy of reuniting with her.
3. Where did Van and Davy live during their first year at Oxford?
(a) Church quarters.
(b) C.S. Lewis' house.
(c) A studio apartment.
(d) A London townhouse.
4. Who did Van and Davy invite over for company during their first year at Oxford?
(a) Other Christians.
(b) They do not invite people over.
(d) People of other religions.
5. What did Davy let go of during her first flight?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) A letter.
(d) Her hat.
6. How did Van feel when Davy became a Christian?
(a) He could not believe she did it without him.
(b) He was angry with her.
(c) He thought she would change her mind.
(d) He was afraid of what would happen to their relationship.
7. Aside from Shakespeare, what other poet does Van admire?
8. Why did Van and Davy make sure they spend time outside while they are at Oxford?
(a) To take breaks from school.
(b) To enjoy the warm weather.
(c) To protect their relationship.
(d) To honor God's work.
9. Who was Laddie?
(a) Davy and Van's minister.
(b) Davy and Van's dog.
(c) Davy and Van's cat.
(d) Davy and Van's neighbor.
10. What does Van say staying in Kensington did for him?
(a) Made England real.
(b) Made him smarter.
(c) Made him work harder.
(d) Made him want to travel.
11. What does Van say was his first aesthetic experience?
(a) Watching the branches of a tree wave.
(b) Falling in love.
(c) Shivering in the cold.
(d) Having pain feel intense.
12. Where did a man expose himself to Davy?
(a) In a park.
(b) At her house.
(c) On Yale campus.
(d) On a train.
13. Why did Van want his money back for the print in "The Shining Barrier?"
(a) It was just black.
(b) It was not his picture.
(c) It was cropped wrong.
(d) It was tinted wrong.
14. What composer did Van and Davy enjoy listening to at St. Ebbe's?
15. What did Van call "the dirge of a dying world?"
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Van feel about the history of Christianity in "Encounter with Light?"
2. Where did Van and Davy live while the Grey Goose was being built?
3. How did Van describe Christianity after seeing the cross-like shadow?
4. What was the weather like when Van and Davy married?
5. What did Davy and Van see as being a blessing in heaven of their marriage?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)