|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Van and Davy believe there is a creator of the universe?
(a) Because the universe is so large.
(b) Because there was so much order and beauty.
(c) Because they were devout Christians.
(d) Because the Bible says so.
2. Who was Laddie?
(a) Davy and Van's cat.
(b) Davy and Van's neighbor.
(c) Davy and Van's minister.
(d) Davy and Van's dog.
3. How did Van feel about the history of Christianity in "Encounter with Light?"
(a) It was the only truth.
(b) It was appealing.
(c) It was violent.
(d) It was a lie.
4. Why did Davy and Van take boating lessons?
(a) They wanted to build a boat.
(b) The lessons were free.
(c) They wanted to be in a boat race.
(d) They wanted to live at sea.
5. What did Davy and Van see as being a blessing in heaven of their marriage?
(a) A family of geese.
(b) A storm.
(c) A flock of doves.
(d) A rainbow.
6. What did C.S. Lewis say about religions born in jungles?
(a) They were just like Christianity.
(b) They were focused on the devil.
(c) They were based on superstition.
(d) They were rarely recognized.
7. What did Van realize about his decision to become Christian in "Thou Art the King of Glory?"
(a) He made a mistake.
(b) He was forced into it.
(c) He did the right amount of research.
(d) He was chosen for it.
8. Where did Van and Davy spend the day before leaving their first year at Oxford?
(a) In the city.
(b) At a local park.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) C.S. Lewis' house.
9. What did Davy and Van decide to establish a code for before marriage?
(a) Their solitude.
(b) Their respect.
(c) Their togetherness.
(d) Their "inloveness."
10. Why did Lewis invite Van to Magdalen?
(a) Because Van had never been there.
(b) Because he wanted Van to attend class there.
(c) Because he worked there.
(d) Because he lived near there.
11. What did C.S Lewis believe was pursuing Van?
(a) The police.
(b) A career in religion.
(c) The Holy Spirit.
12. How long had it been since Van left when he returned to Glenmerle for the first time?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
13. Who did Van write for after the War?
(a) Yale Press.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) Yachting Magazine.
(d) The Miami Herald.
14. What did the man exposing himself make Van and Davy realize is part of all humans?
15. Why did Van recant his first confession of belief in God?
(a) He did it when he was sad.
(b) He did it after drinking.
(c) He did it out of love for Davy.
(d) He did it without thinking first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bombed Pearl Harbor?
2. What does Van describe as the most repugnant part of confessing faith in Christianity?
3. How long had Davy been dead when Van returned to Glenmerle?
4. What did C.S. Lewis warn Van can attack his faith in "Thou Art the King of Glory?"
5. What does the sand blow against when Van likens Christ to sand in "The Sands?"
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)