|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Van and Davy secretly marry?
(a) They never married.
(b) After about six months together.
(c) After about a year together.
(d) After about two years together.
2. What does Van believe the pain he feels in losing Davy is worth?
(a) The motivation to write a novel.
(b) The joy of reuniting with her.
(d) The chance to travel the world.
3. Whose death did Van learn about while he is stationed in Hawaii?
(a) Davy's mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Davy's father.
4. How does Van describe Davy?
(a) His lost chance.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His biggest mystery.
(d) His first love.
5. What does the Tao focus on?
(a) A set of rules.
(b) A code of conduct.
(c) A series of rituals.
(d) A complex agreement.
6. Where did Van and Davy read "Wind in the Willows" together while at Oxford?
(a) In the city.
(b) At C.S. Lewis' house.
(c) In a park.
(d) In a class.
7. How did Van describe Christianity after seeing the cross-like shadow?
(a) As a weapon.
(b) As a farce.
(c) As a truth.
(d) As a fairy tale.
8. How did reading C.S. Lewis' work make Davy feel?
(a) At peace.
9. Why did Van consider changing his major to theology?
(a) Because of how he felt writing "The Sands."
(b) Because it paid well.
(c) Because he felt a calling.
(d) Because Lewis suggested it.
10. What does Van say staying in Kensington did for him?
(a) Made England real.
(b) Made him smarter.
(c) Made him want to travel.
(d) Made him work harder.
11. Why did Van and Davy decide not to live at sea after their first year at Oxford?
(a) There was no church at sea.
(b) It no longer fit their philosophy.
(c) They could no longer afford it.
(d) Davy needed to take more classes.
12. How did Van and Davy come up with their code before marriage?
(a) They made a list of what they value.
(b) They asked their parents for advice.
(c) They read love poetry.
(d) They examined failed relationships.
13. What first caught Van's attention when he first returned to Glenmerle?
(a) The lawn.
(b) The smell.
(c) The size.
(d) The new people living there.
14. What did C.S. Lewis say about religions born in jungles?
(a) They were rarely recognized.
(b) They were focused on the devil.
(c) They were based on superstition.
(d) They were just like Christianity.
15. What did Van's dinner group in England do?
(a) Hosted speakers.
(b) Raised money.
(c) Reviewed books.
(d) Wrote articles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Van believe all the great moments in life must be felt?
2. Where did Van and Davy live during their first year at Oxford?
3. Who did Van and Davy invite over for company during their first year at Oxford?
4. What did Van call "the dirge of a dying world?"
5. Who did Van write for after the War?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)