|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Van and Davy make sure they spend time outside while they are at Oxford?
(a) To protect their relationship.
(b) To take breaks from school.
(c) To enjoy the warm weather.
(d) To honor God's work.
2. Who bombed Pearl Harbor?
3. What did Van and Davy do the day before Pearl Harbor was bombed?
(a) Ate dinner with friends.
(b) Built a bomb shelter.
(c) Went fishing.
(d) Sailed a boat.
4. Why did Van want his money back for the print in "The Shining Barrier?"
(a) It was tinted wrong.
(b) It was not his picture.
(c) It was cropped wrong.
(d) It was just black.
5. What did C.S Lewis believe was pursuing Van?
(b) A career in religion.
(c) The police.
(d) The Holy Spirit.
6. What did Van and Davy call themselves instead of husband and wife?
(a) Partners in life.
(b) Comrades in love.
(c) They do not use any names or titles.
(d) Man and woman.
7. Why does Van say he decided to seek joy?
(a) It is the easiest emotion.
(b) It is most important emotion.
(c) It is the highest emotion.
(d) It is the most elusive emotion.
8. What did C.S. Lewis say about religions born in jungles?
(a) They were just like Christianity.
(b) They were based on superstition.
(c) They were rarely recognized.
(d) They were focused on the devil.
9. What does the Tao focus on?
(a) A complex agreement.
(b) A set of rules.
(c) A series of rituals.
(d) A code of conduct.
10. What part of Davy first caught Van's attention?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her smile.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her walk.
11. Where did Van and Davy talk during their first date?
(a) On the porch.
(b) Near the sea.
(c) By the fireplace.
(d) In a barn.
12. Why did Van and Davy decide not to live at sea after their first year at Oxford?
(a) They could no longer afford it.
(b) Davy needed to take more classes.
(c) There was no church at sea.
(d) It no longer fit their philosophy.
13. What eventually happens to the sand in "The Sands?"
(a) It builds a beach.
(b) It wears Van down.
(c) It becomes a pearl.
(d) It blows away.
14. How did Van feel when Davy became a Christian?
(a) He thought she would change her mind.
(b) He could not believe she did it without him.
(c) He was afraid of what would happen to their relationship.
(d) He was angry with her.
15. How did Van feel about the history of Christianity in "Encounter with Light?"
(a) It was appealing.
(b) It was violent.
(c) It was a lie.
(d) It was the only truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did C.S. Lewis warn Van can attack his faith in "Thou Art the King of Glory?"
2. What formed the X-shaped shadow Van looks at in "The Shadow of a Tree?"
3. What did Davy and Van see as being a blessing in heaven of their marriage?
4. How long did Van stay in Kensington?
5. How did Van's parents feel about his marriage to Davy?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)