|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Carlos lose sight of don Genaro on the mountain?
2. What animal type did don Juan choose?
3. What didn't Carlos understand about the ways to living like a warrior?
4. What was Carlos' complaint regarding living life like a warrior?
5. What did Carlos use to light the pipe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Carlos attempt to "see" again?
2. What was the only thought that brought comfort to Carlos while he was in the forest?
3. What is the difference between the way regular people treat the world, and the way a warrior treats the world?
4. What situation reminded Carlos of a fear he had once had, and what was that fear based on?
5. What was the difference between the eyes when Carlos 'sees' don Juan?
6. Why is it important that a warrior apologizes to the things he has hurt?
7. What fascinated Carlos Castaneda when don Juan explained sorcery?
8. What happens to a man when he becomes a man of knowledge?
9. Describe what 'will' is.
10. What did Carlos fail to do while in the forest and hearing all the sounds around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people discuss having almost religious experiences when in remote locations. Don Juan explains that it is in remote locations that allies reside. Explain the social allure of the wilderness. What kinds of personalities are attracted to these kinds of areas?
Essay Topic 2
There has been much debate on whether or not these are factual accounts, or if the entire book was a work of fiction. Explain why people might have difficulty accepting this novel as a true account. What are your personal conceptions of this novel? Is it a work of fiction, or could they be actual field notes? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why many people don't want to think about their own death. How does it make people feel? Speculate on why that is. What benefits could be gained by coming to terms with our own mortality?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)