|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Carlos going to get his best powers from?
2. What is don Juan's spirit catcher?
3. When was Carlos the closest to seeing?
4. What did don Juan say when Carlos had asked where don Genaro was?
5. What is incredible when one sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there only one entrance for death in the body?
2. Why did Carlos drop his apprenticeship?
3. What did don Genaro's tap feel like to Carlos?
4. How was the promise in Carlos' childhood preventing him from getting past the guardian?
5. Explain what the 'fog' is.
6. Why can't Carlos 'see' accurately?
7. Why is the water dangerous?
8. What mistake did Carlos make when he looked at don Juan?
9. What was unique about Carlos' experience this time?
10. How is will different from seeing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mescalito and allies are the main spirits consistently talked about throughout the course of this novel. What is the difference between these spirits and God? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of hallucinogens in aboriginal culture. How are hallucinogens viewed by our culture? How is someone viewed that can manipulate the use of a hallucinogen in aboriginal culture? How is someone viewed that can manipulate hallucinogens in our culture?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan plays many roles in this book. What kinds of roles benefit Carlos Castaneda? What roles make don Juan appear to be more friendly? Why? What is the most important role that don Juan plays?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)