|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the holes and gaps in the sounds show Carlos?
2. What does don Juan believe is the thing that is holding Carlos back from 'seeing'?
3. What is the thing that gives Carlos the chills?
4. What did the second appearance of the ally mean?
5. What was the greenish glow in the flames, according to don Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange occurrence happened when Carlos just simply listened?
2. What did Carlos fail to do while in the forest and hearing all the sounds around him?
3. Why did Carlos drop his apprenticeship?
4. What mistake did Carlos make when he looked at don Juan?
5. What is the difference between the way regular people treat the world, and the way a warrior treats the world?
6. What happens to a man when he becomes a man of knowledge?
7. How did Carlos learn to travel with the water?
8. How is will different from seeing?
9. What mistake did Carlos make in his first attempt to get up? How did he finally succeed?
10. Describe what 'will' is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the ways of a warrior as described by don Juan. How does this path require an immense amount of courage and perseverance? What lessons can we take from don Juan's teachings of the ways of a warrior into our own lives? How could these teachings, when properly applied, benefit everybody?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why many people don't want to think about their own death. How does it make people feel? Speculate on why that is. What benefits could be gained by coming to terms with our own mortality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Native American use of hallucinogens. Do you think it is acceptable for Native Americans to use controlled substances? Why? Compare the old European way of life and use of substances to that of the Native Americans. How are we similar? How do we differ?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)