|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carlos notice about the shoeshine boys' scavenging abilities?
2. What disease couldn't the man cure with his herbs from the market place?
3. What color of yellow was the sky?
4. How did don Elias appear to act?
5. What surprised Carlos in regard to don Genaro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the first and second time Carlos smoked?
2. Why did the guardian stop Carlos?
3. What about Castaneda's behavior did don Genaro find amusing and why?
4. What could the guardian do if it got angry?
5. What does don Juan point out in regards to Carlos' view of the shoeshine boys?
6. What did the guardian look like?
7. What was don Juan's explanation for the lights behind them?
8. What is extremely impolite among the Yaquis?
9. What is the difference between a stranger and a practitioner?
10. What did Benigno and Lucio say in regards to don Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Native American use of hallucinogens. Do you think it is acceptable for Native Americans to use controlled substances? Why? Compare the old European way of life and use of substances to that of the Native Americans. How are we similar? How do we differ?
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan explains that the world lacks meaning to him. What would a world be like without meaning? How do you think society would function under this kind of way of life? What kinds of social system would have to be in place if the world lacked meaning or importance? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why many people don't want to think about their own death. How does it make people feel? Speculate on why that is. What benefits could be gained by coming to terms with our own mortality?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)