|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why originally did Carlos go back to don Juan?
2. When was Carlos closest to 'seeing'?
3. Why did don Elias stop talking with Carlos?
4. Who told Carlos how to feel at a mitote?
5. How did don Genaro jump?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about don Juan's explanation had made Carlos feel uncomfortable?
2. What is tricky regarding allies?
3. Why did don Genaro repeat the sitting on his head feat so frequently?
4. What did Benigno and Lucio say in regards to don Juan?
5. What could the guardian do if it got angry?
6. What does don Juan point out in regards to Carlos' view of the shoeshine boys?
7. Why didn't Carlos 'see' the people that were around when he had left the plants?
8. Why couldn't Carlos articulate what he wanted to after his experience?
9. What was the difference that appeared when don Juan and Carlos were talking about knowledge?
10. What does don Juan say about Carlos' progress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on how Carlos' life would be if he went back to living as he used to. Is it possible for him to return to his ordinary life? Why or why not? What kinds of things might bring him back into becoming a man of knowledge? Is it possible that he would want to return to his ordinary life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan explains that the world lacks meaning to him. What would a world be like without meaning? How do you think society would function under this kind of way of life? What kinds of social system would have to be in place if the world lacked meaning or importance? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways of a warrior as described by don Juan. How does this path require an immense amount of courage and perseverance? What lessons can we take from don Juan's teachings of the ways of a warrior into our own lives? How could these teachings, when properly applied, benefit everybody?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)