|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was don Juan reputed to know about?
2. What was Carlos' duty at the mitote?
3. What were the people that Carlos had encountered when he had abandoned don Vincente's gift?
4. What did Carlos always find difficult after he had finished with the little smoke?
5. How big did the guardian appear to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Benigno and Lucio say in regards to don Juan?
2. What about don Juan's explanation had made Carlos feel uncomfortable?
3. What does don Juan say about Carlos' progress?
4. What is the difference between the first and second time Carlos smoked?
5. Why didn't Carlos 'see' the people that were around when he had left the plants?
6. Why did Carlos leave his apprenticeship with don Juan?
7. What did the guardian look like?
8. What does don Juan point out in regards to Carlos' view of the shoeshine boys?
9. Why did don Genaro repeat the sitting on his head feat so frequently?
10. How can everything in life be controlled folly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between a man of knowledge and a shaman. How are they similar? In what regards is a man of knowledge more than just a man who 'knows'? To what groups are shamans closely related to in a present way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on how Carlos' life would be if he went back to living as he used to. Is it possible for him to return to his ordinary life? Why or why not? What kinds of things might bring him back into becoming a man of knowledge? Is it possible that he would want to return to his ordinary life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carlos Castaneda must come to terms with the idea of his own death, and understand that death is always beside him at the map. Discuss how a person might feel when they are ever present with the idea of their own death. Discuss how that persons outlook on the world might change and shift. What kinds of things would become less important?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)