|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Carlos closest to 'seeing'?
2. What was the first thing Carlos saw on the mat?
3. What place was it safe for the color to have appeared on the guardian?
4. Why does Carlos think he is better off than the shoeshine boys?
5. What did Carlos always find difficult after he had finished with the little smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the guardian look like?
2. How must someone approach Mescalito?
3. What was the confusion regarding allies and the smoke?
4. Why does each chapter end on a dramatic note?
5. What differences does don Juan offer between his protectors and the ones created by the Catholic faith?
6. How can everything in life be controlled folly?
7. What did Benigno and Lucio say in regards to don Juan?
8. What was don Juan's explanation for the lights behind them?
9. Why will Carlos never believe what actually went on with don Genaro at the waterfall?
10. What was the difference that appeared when don Juan and Carlos were talking about knowledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attempt to classify the religion of a man of knowledge. How is this 'religion' more of a way of life? Explain the teachings of a man of knowledge. In what regard is a man of knowledge a pagan? How is he not a pagan? Do you think a man of knowledge could be of a religious background as well as be a man of knowledge? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many people discuss having almost religious experiences when in remote locations. Don Juan explains that it is in remote locations that allies reside. Explain the social allure of the wilderness. What kinds of personalities are attracted to these kinds of areas?
Essay Topic 3
Many times throughout this novel, Carlos feels as though he is going to die. Rationalize his motivation to continue on in his attempts to be a man of knowledge. How does his desire to understand what is happening interfere with this attempt to become a man of knowledge?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)