|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Carlos condense his field notes?
2. Why did the narrator lie to don Juan?
3. Who told Carlos how to feel at a mitote?
4. How many times did Carlos have to call don Juan for him to come?
5. What did Carlos think was don Juan's reason for responding in such a manner to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does don Juan offer between his protectors and the ones created by the Catholic faith?
2. Why does each chapter end on a dramatic note?
3. What is tricky regarding allies?
4. How can everything in life be controlled folly?
5. What about Castaneda's behavior did don Genaro find amusing and why?
6. What was don Juan's explanation for the lights behind them?
7. What does don Juan point out in regards to Carlos' view of the shoeshine boys?
8. What is extremely impolite among the Yaquis?
9. How can a person who only 'sees' never really be happy or attached to anything?
10. What was the confusion regarding allies and the smoke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the ways of a warrior as described by don Juan. How does this path require an immense amount of courage and perseverance? What lessons can we take from don Juan's teachings of the ways of a warrior into our own lives? How could these teachings, when properly applied, benefit everybody?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why many people don't want to think about their own death. How does it make people feel? Speculate on why that is. What benefits could be gained by coming to terms with our own mortality?
Essay Topic 3
Mescalito and allies are the main spirits consistently talked about throughout the course of this novel. What is the difference between these spirits and God? How are they similar?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)