|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could a skilled sorcerer bring about a specialized range of perception?
(a) Through the belief in the images presented to the apprentice.
(b) Through the manipulation of social cues.
(c) Through the examination of the world around them from the eyes of the apprentice.
(d) Through the adaptation to the apprentices visions.
2. What was it that made don Juan laugh?
(a) Carlos was using a twig to get vegetables into his mouth.
(b) He was unable to eat his soup.
(c) He did a funny dance.
(d) All of these.
3. From what two points do the fibers extend that don Juan describes?
(a) From the neck to the naval.
(b) From the head to the feet.
(c) From the chest to the feet.
(d) From the head to the naval.
4. What does don Juan say that Carlos lacks?
(a) One-ness with the universe.
(d) A true understanding of the world around him.
5. What could a master sorcerer do?
(a) Make himself into an eagle.
(b) Become a pigeon.
(c) None of these.
(d) Make himself into a bird.
6. Where did don Genaro take the group to?
(a) The river.
(b) The chasm.
(c) The waterfall.
(d) The desert.
7. What did don Juan do at the time of his son's death?
(a) He allowed Mescalito to teach him a lesson.
(b) He convinced his allies to help his son.
(c) Shifted his perspective so he "saw" the death, instead of looked at it.
(d) He tried to heal his son.
8. What is sorcery comparable to among the Indians?
(b) Altered states of reality.
(c) Caucasian science.
9. What animal did don Juan compare to Lucio?
(a) None of these.
(b) An amoeba.
(c) A jellyfish.
(d) A worm.
10. How did don Elias appear to act?
(b) None of these.
11. What, in Spanish, is an appellation of respect?
12. How does the smoke aid the apprentice in dealing with the guardian?
(a) It calms the apprentice.
(b) None of these.
(c) It helps in aiding to 'see' it.
(d) It speeds you up/slows it down.
13. What brought both Carlos and don Juan back to their apprenticeships?
(a) The desire to become all powerful.
(b) The social desire to learn the ways of a man of knowledge.
(c) The knowledge that there was no other way to live life.
(d) The desire to learn how to manipulate the world around them.
14. What animal is the guardian?
(a) A fly.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A gnat.
(d) A bee.
15. Why can a man not be changed?
(a) All of these,
(b) There is no chance of Darwinism to reign supreme.
(c) There is no reason to try, a man is what he is.
(d) There is no possibility to affect the lives of another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mescalito teach?
2. Why does Carlos think he is better off than the shoeshine boys?
3. What disturbed Carlos?
4. Why can't Carlos understand about controlled folly?
5. What did Carlos think was don Juan's reason for responding in such a manner to him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)