|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Luckman say a impersonator impersonated?
2. Who does Barris dismiss a call from?
3. What would Fred like to buy before he meets Hank?
4. What do Fred's fellow agents say Barris' mushroom is likely to be?
5. What does Barris want to smuggle across the border?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arctor tell Luckman he saw when he drove by the Maylar Microdot Corporation Building?
2. What do Arctor and his roommates say about Donna?
3. What is the story of Faust?
4. What does Fred think about Arctor in Chapter 12?
5. What is Donna's substitute for sexual relations?
6. In what way can the reader see Connie as a pitiful character?
7. What does Freck hallucinate?
8. What story does Bruce tell Thelma?
9. What is the difference between Arctor as an informant and Barris as an informant?
10. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip K. Dick greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, science fiction. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by Dick and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and compare him/her to their character in the film A SCANNER DARKLY. What similarities does the character in the film share with its counterpart in the novel? How do the filmmakers update the character for a more modern audience? Why are these changes necessary?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)