|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barris want to smuggle across the border?
2. What does Freck joke about Barris owning?
3. What would Fred like to buy before he meets Hank?
4. What part of the brain is most dominant?
5. What do the two men tell Fred are competing with each other in his brain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
2. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
3. What is Arctor's excuse to the locksmith for his awful behavior on the phone?
4. What does Fred see on the holoscan when he watches himself having sex with Connie?
5. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
6. How does Barris dismiss a call from one of Arctor's creditors?
7. What is the difference between Arctor as an informant and Barris as an informant?
8. Why does Arctor think he should kill Barris?
9. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
10. How does Barris react to Luckman choking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that drug addiction is addressed by someone who has experienced it? Do you think America has ever seriously addressed people like Dick's views on drugs?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)