|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Arctor and Barris working on when Freck arrives?
2. What would Fred like to buy before he meets Hank?
3. What does Arctor ask Barris if he can borrow?
4. Why does Donna not want Arctor to hold her?
5. Why does Freck leave Arctor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
2. What do Arctor and his roommates say about Donna?
3. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
4. What does Fred see Barris doing with mushrooms?
5. What does Freck hallucinate?
6. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
7. What advice does Mike give Bruce?
8. What does Fred's medical report about his current condition?
9. How does Barris react to Luckman choking?
10. How does Donna make up with Arctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine counter culture in America.
1) What is counter culture and how was counter culture in the 1970s different from counter culture today?
2) Why is A SCANNER DARKLY seen as a counter culture book?
3) How does Dick show the clash between the counter culture and normal society and how does this clash affect society in general?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Dick use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)