|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Connie morph into?
2. What does Arctor ask Barris if he can borrow?
3. Why does Donna not want Arctor to hold her?
4. What is Mike's job at New-Path?
5. What does Ellen suggest Fred use?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barris dismiss a call from one of Arctor's creditors?
2. How does Barris react to Luckman choking?
3. What do Arctor and his roommates say about Donna?
4. Why does Donna claim she does not have sex with anyone?
5. What does Fred see Barris doing with mushrooms?
6. What is the story of Faust?
7. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
8. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
9. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
10. What story does Bruce tell Thelma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A SCANNER DARKLY is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the novel help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in A SCANNER DARKLY?
Essay Topic 2
Dick's view of future earth is what is called a dystopian vision. Discuss what is meant by dystopian? How does Dick show his dystopian vision in his settings and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dick's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)