|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George show Arctor how to do?
2. Why does Donna not want Arctor to hold her?
3. What does the creature read from his scroll?
4. What does Freck see while on the psychedelics?
5. How is Carl related to the woman in the locksmith's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Donna claim she does not have sex with anyone?
2. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
3. What is the difference between Arctor as an informant and Barris as an informant?
4. What do the women tell Fred in the cafeteria?
5. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
6. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
7. In what way can the reader see Connie as a pitiful character?
8. What does Freck hallucinate?
9. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
10. How does Barris dismiss a call from one of Arctor's creditors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine counter culture in America.
1) What is counter culture and how was counter culture in the 1970s different from counter culture today?
2) Why is A SCANNER DARKLY seen as a counter culture book?
3) How does Dick show the clash between the counter culture and normal society and how does this clash affect society in general?
Essay Topic 3
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)