|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the creature read from his scroll?
2. What does Freck see while on the psychedelics?
3. How does Arctor say his best friend died?
4. What is the hash laced with?
5. What is the name of the book Arctor takes off the shelf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barris dismiss a call from one of Arctor's creditors?
2. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
3. What does Freck hallucinate?
4. What is the story of Faust?
5. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
6. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
7. Why does Arctor think he should kill Barris?
8. What does Arctor tell Luckman he saw when he drove by the Maylar Microdot Corporation Building?
9. What is Arctor's excuse to the locksmith for his awful behavior on the phone?
10. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Dick express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and compare him/her to their character in the film A SCANNER DARKLY. What similarities does the character in the film share with its counterpart in the novel? How do the filmmakers update the character for a more modern audience? Why are these changes necessary?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)