|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arctor pretend to do?
2. What does Freck try to overdose on?
3. What does Arctor ask Barris if he can borrow?
4. What do Fred's fellow agents say Barris' mushroom is likely to be?
5. What does the woman think Fred's name is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
2. What does Arctor tell Luckman he saw when he drove by the Maylar Microdot Corporation Building?
3. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
4. What does Freck hallucinate?
5. In what way can the reader see Connie as a pitiful character?
6. How does Barris react to Luckman choking?
7. What does Fred see Barris doing with mushrooms?
8. What does Fred see on the holoscan when he watches himself having sex with Connie?
9. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
10. Why does Arctor think he should kill Barris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Dick express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Dick use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)