|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Barris identify himself as?
2. What drugs does Fred take in the bathroom?
3. Who does Arctor imagine Connie is?
4. What does the woman think Fred's name is?
5. What does Fred think the poem captures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Bruce tell Thelma?
2. How does Barris react to Luckman choking?
3. What does Fred think about Arctor in Chapter 12?
4. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
5. In what way can the reader see Connie as a pitiful character?
6. Why does Donna claim she does not have sex with anyone?
7. What do the women tell Fred in the cafeteria?
8. What does Fred's medical report about his current condition?
9. What do Arctor and his roommates say about Donna?
10. What does Arctor tell Luckman he saw when he drove by the Maylar Microdot Corporation Building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A SCANNER DARKLY is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the novel help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in A SCANNER DARKLY?
Essay Topic 2
Philip K. Dick greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, science fiction. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by Dick and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)