|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arctor walk to?
2. What does Arctor give Connie in exchange for sex?
3. Who does Arctor imagine Connie is?
4. Why does Freck try to kill himself?
5. What drugs does Fred take in the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
2. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
3. What does Freck hallucinate?
4. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
5. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
6. What does Arctor tell Luckman he saw when he drove by the Maylar Microdot Corporation Building?
7. In what way can the reader see Connie as a pitiful character?
8. What is Arctor's excuse to the locksmith for his awful behavior on the phone?
9. What is the difference between Arctor as an informant and Barris as an informant?
10. Why does Arctor think he should kill Barris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dick's representations of the following areas and decide how close Dick's representations are to the real thing and how Dick makes his representations seem and feel real:
1) Drug addiction
2) Undercover police work
3) Drug dealing
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)