|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hank ask Fred to monitor closely?
2. Why do some drug dealers become narks?
3. Where does Freck think he should go for detoxification?
4. What should Fred have done to find out the number of gears on the bike instead of adding the number of gears on the front tire?
5. What is the name of the agent Fred meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
2. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
3. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
4. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
5. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
6. Why does an anonymous caller say he is suspicious of Arctor?
7. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
8. Summarize the story.
9. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
10. Why don't Kimberly neighbors like the apartment building they live in?
Essay Topic 1
Dick wrote A SCANNER DARKLY in the 1970s, but set it in 1994. Do you think it is an accurate portrayal of the future? What happened in the 1970s that suggested the future would evolve in that way?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Dick express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person does an undercover cop need to be? Why does Bob Arctor not make a successful undercover cop?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)