|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tipped the men off to the fact Fred had a hempishere split?
2. What is the street name for the drug called slow death?
3. What was Fabin's older brother according to Luckman's comedy routine?
4. What does Arctor accuse Barris of poisoning him with?
5. What kind of drug does Arctor ask Donna for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story.
2. How does Barris dismiss a call from one of Arctor's creditors?
3. Why does Donna decline to go and see Jerry at the clinic?
4. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
5. What story does Bruce tell Thelma?
6. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
7. How does "Well, we'll come back on Thursday." become a funny tag line for the New-Path residents?
8. What do Arctor and his roommates say about Donna?
9. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
10. How does Charles plan to get Donna into bed?
Essay Topic 1
A SCANNER DARKLY is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the novel help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in A SCANNER DARKLY?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dick's representations of the following areas and decide how close Dick's representations are to the real thing and how Dick makes his representations seem and feel real:
1) Drug addiction
2) Undercover police work
3) Drug dealing
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)