|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arctor say he is employed?
2. What does Barris say he was under the influence of when he broke Arctor's Cephscope?
3. What do the three men find in the ashtray when they get back home?
4. What drug do Barris, Arctor and Luckman take?
5. Where does Arctor think Weeks is hiding out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
2. Why does an anonymous caller say he is suspicious of Arctor?
3. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
4. How does Jerry try to get rid of the aphids?
5. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
6. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
7. How did Thelma become a reminder to the three men about how straights are their foes?
8. Why did Arctor's roomates visit Donna at her shop?
9. How do Arctor and his roommates become paranoid when they arrive home?
10. How does Arctor use Donna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Philip K. Dick greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, science fiction. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by Dick and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)