|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the street name for the drug called slow death?
2. What does Donna say she has an interesting book about?
3. What kind of speech does Arctor have to perform?
4. Who summons Arctor for a meeting later that day?
5. Where does Freck think he should go for detoxification?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arctor use Donna?
2. What does Arctor accuse Barris of?
3. What does Arctor ruminate about the relationship between dealers and narcotics agents?
4. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
5. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
6. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
7. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
8. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
9. How does Jerry try to get rid of the aphids?
10. Describe Jerry's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Dick's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)