|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say Donna would have sex in exchange for?
2. What does Donna say she has an interesting book about?
3. Where did Charles last see Donna?
4. What do the three men find in the ashtray when they get back home?
5. What do Charles and Barris purchase from the 7-11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arctor accuse Barris of?
2. What is a scramble suit?
3. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
4. What tipped the medical staff off to the fact that Fred had a hemisphere split?
5. What does Fred say that is not part of his prepared text?
6. Describe Jerry's life.
7. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
8. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
9. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
10. Why does Barris not trust Arctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Dick express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that drug addiction is addressed by someone who has experienced it? Do you think America has ever seriously addressed people like Dick's views on drugs?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)