|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Arctor's car does not work?
2. What state does Fabin live in?
3. Why do some drug dealers become narks?
4. What does the New-Path reception staff berate Arctor for doing?
5. How do some narks become very rich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Arctor's roomates visit Donna at her shop?
2. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
3. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
4. What does Hank tell Fred he should do every few days?
5. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
6. Describe Luckman's comedy routine?
7. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
8. Describe Jerry's life.
9. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
10. How does Arctor use Donna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Dick use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)