|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Arctor's car does not work?
2. What do Charles and Barris purchase from the 7-11?
3. What is the name of the suit Fred is wearing?
4. What does Arctor ask the audience if they would steal money for?
5. Where does Arctor say he is employed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
2. Describe Luckman's comedy routine?
3. What does Arctor accuse Barris of?
4. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
5. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
6. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
7. What does Hank tell Fred he should do every few days?
8. How does Charles plan to get Donna into bed?
9. How did Thelma become a reminder to the three men about how straights are their foes?
10. How do Arctor and his roommates become paranoid when they arrive home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine counter culture in America.
1) What is counter culture and how was counter culture in the 1970s different from counter culture today?
2) Why is A SCANNER DARKLY seen as a counter culture book?
3) How does Dick show the clash between the counter culture and normal society and how does this clash affect society in general?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)