|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arctor have to edit himself out of the tapes?
2. What did Thelma want the three men to destroy?
3. What does Arctor use to disguise his voice?
4. Where did Charles last see Donna?
5. What do the medical officers say there has has been a split between?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
2. Describe Jerry's life.
3. Why does Barris not trust Arctor?
4. What is a scramble suit?
5. Describe Luckman's comedy routine?
6. Why does Donna decline to go and see Jerry at the clinic?
7. What does Fred say that is not part of his prepared text?
8. Why does an anonymous caller say he is suspicious of Arctor?
9. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
10. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Dick's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)