|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arctor have to edit out of the tapes?
2. Where does Donna work?
3. What part of Arctor's car does not work?
4. What did the teenage girl's brothers do for a living?
5. Who does Fred think informed the police that he was a suspicious character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Mike give Bruce?
2. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
3. How did Thelma become a reminder to the three men about how straights are their foes?
4. What does Fred see on the holoscan when he watches himself having sex with Connie?
5. What is a scramble suit?
6. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
7. Why does Donna claim she does not have sex with anyone?
8. What is the difference between Arctor as an informant and Barris as an informant?
9. Why is Arctor called Bruce in this chapter?
10. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine counter culture in America.
1) What is counter culture and how was counter culture in the 1970s different from counter culture today?
2) Why is A SCANNER DARKLY seen as a counter culture book?
3) How does Dick show the clash between the counter culture and normal society and how does this clash affect society in general?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and compare him/her to their character in the film A SCANNER DARKLY. What similarities does the character in the film share with its counterpart in the novel? How do the filmmakers update the character for a more modern audience? Why are these changes necessary?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)