Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hank ask Fred to monitor closely?
2. Why do some drug dealers become narks?
3. Where does Freck think he should go for detoxification?
4. What should Fred have done to find out the number of gears on the bike instead of adding the number of gears on the front tire?
5. What is the name of the agent Fred meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
2. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
3. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
4. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
5. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
6. Why does an anonymous caller say he is suspicious of Arctor?
7. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
8. Summarize the story.
9. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
10. Why don't Kimberly neighbors like the apartment building they live in?
Essay Topic 1
Dick's view of future earth is what is called a dystopian vision. Discuss what is meant by dystopian? How does Dick show his dystopian vision in his settings and characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Dick express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Dick writes A SCANNER DARKLY in the third person. Why do you think Dick chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Dick wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)