|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arctor use to disguise his voice?
2. What does Fabin believe is plaguing him?
3. What do the three men find in the ashtray when they get back home?
4. Where does Arctor think Weeks is hiding out?
5. What kind of drug does Arctor ask Donna for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luckman's comedy routine?
2. What does Arctor accuse Barris of?
3. Why don't Kimberly neighbors like the apartment building they live in?
4. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
5. Describe Jerry's life.
6. How does Arctor use Donna?
7. What do Hank and Fred discuss at their meeting?
8. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
9. How do Arctor and his roommates become paranoid when they arrive home?
10. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dick's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine counter culture in America.
1) What is counter culture and how was counter culture in the 1970s different from counter culture today?
2) Why is A SCANNER DARKLY seen as a counter culture book?
3) How does Dick show the clash between the counter culture and normal society and how does this clash affect society in general?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)