|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the New-Path reception staff berate Arctor for doing?
2. Who was the teenage girl raped by?
3. How do some narks become very rich?
4. What problem did Thelma Kornford have?
5. What do the medical officers suggest Fred buy for Donna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
2. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
3. Describe Jerry's life.
4. What do Hank and Fred discuss at their meeting?
5. What is a scramble suit?
6. How do Arctor and his roommates become paranoid when they arrive home?
7. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
8. Why did Arctor's roomates visit Donna at her shop?
9. What problems does Arctor have with his car on the way home?
10. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare drug research in the 1970s to drug research today. How would the book's depiction of drugs change if Dick wrote it today?
Essay Topic 2
A SCANNER DARKLY is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the novel help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in A SCANNER DARKLY?
Essay Topic 3
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)