|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charles eating dinner with?
2. What does Luckman say the people who are after Arctor may have done to his house?
3. What do the medical officers suggest Fred buy for Donna?
4. What is the name of the agent Fred meets?
5. What has Barris promised to fix?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
2. Why does Barris not trust Arctor?
3. How did Thelma become a reminder to the three men about how straights are their foes?
4. What does Fred say that is not part of his prepared text?
5. What problems does Arctor have with his car on the way home?
6. How does Arctor use Donna?
7. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
8. Why does Fred have to visit Room 203?
9. What is a scramble suit?
10. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Dick use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the book and compare him/her to their character in the film A SCANNER DARKLY. What similarities does the character in the film share with its counterpart in the novel? How do the filmmakers update the character for a more modern audience? Why are these changes necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dick's writing style. How would you describe Dick's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Dick's style give to the story?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)