|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arctor call?
2. What kind of drug does Arctor ask Donna for?
3. What is the name of Bob Arctor's girl?
4. Why did the men refuse to kill the mosquito hawk?
5. Which of the following did Arctor's roommates say was broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerry try to get rid of the aphids?
2. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
3. How does Donna make up with Arctor?
4. How did Thelma become a reminder to the three men about how straights are their foes?
5. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
6. What does Fred see on the holoscan when he watches himself having sex with Connie?
7. What does Barris tell Hank and Fred about Arctor's recent behavior?
8. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
9. What do Hank and Fred discuss at their meeting?
10. What is Arctor's excuse to the locksmith for his awful behavior on the phone?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important that drug addiction is addressed by someone who has experienced it? Do you think America has ever seriously addressed people like Dick's views on drugs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dick's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)