|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some drug dealers become narks?
2. Where does Charles say Jerry is staying?
3. What animal does Fred say he sees in the drawing?
4. Who has Kimberly had a big fight with?
5. What problem did Thelma Kornford have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hank and Fred discuss at their meeting?
2. What does Hank tell Fred he should do every few days?
3. Who does Arctor have to find at the end of the chapter?
4. How does Jerry try to get rid of the aphids?
5. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
6. Describe Jerry's life.
7. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
8. Why don't Kimberly neighbors like the apartment building they live in?
9. What happens if the right hemisphere takes control of someone's brain?
10. What does Arctor ruminate about the relationship between dealers and narcotics agents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dick's representations of the following areas and decide how close Dick's representations are to the real thing and how Dick makes his representations seem and feel real:
1) Drug addiction
2) Undercover police work
3) Drug dealing
Essay Topic 2
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Dick use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)