Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hank ask Fred to monitor closely?
2. Why do some drug dealers become narks?
3. Where does Freck think he should go for detoxification?
4. What should Fred have done to find out the number of gears on the bike instead of adding the number of gears on the front tire?
5. What is the name of the agent Fred meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arctor have sex with Connie?
2. How does Barris make cocaine from the Solarcaine?
3. Why are the hemphisperes similar to hands?
4. What artifacts does Freck decide to leave behind when he commits suicide?
5. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
6. Why does an anonymous caller say he is suspicious of Arctor?
7. How is Arctor's car radio different from Barris' car radio?
8. Summarize the story.
9. Why is Fred going to be paid less in his next month's salary?
10. Why don't Kimberly neighbors like the apartment building they live in?
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Discuss Dick's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Dick use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Dick uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)