|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Barris made his silencer from?
2. Who has Jerry Fabin been terrorized by for months?
3. What is the name of the agent Fred meets?
4. Where does Donna work?
5. Who summons Arctor for a meeting later that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arctor accuse Barris of?
2. What does Arctor ruminate about the relationship between dealers and narcotics agents?
3. Why did Arctor's roomates visit Donna at her shop?
4. How do Arctor and his roommates become paranoid when they arrive home?
5. What is a scramble suit?
6. Why does Donna decline to go and see Jerry at the clinic?
7. Why did Fred become an undercover narcotics agent?
8. How does Arctor make sure his roommates are away from the house for the whole day?
9. How does Jerry try to get rid of the aphids?
10. Why does Arctor think someone may have tampered with his car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick was a drug addict and it is said that A SCANNER DARKLY is semi-autobiographical, adhering to the rule that writers should write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Dick knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Dick does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dick wrote A SCANNER DARKLY in the 1970s, but set it in 1994. Do you think it is an accurate portrayal of the future? What happened in the 1970s that suggested the future would evolve in that way?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express characters and themes:
2) Point of view
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)