|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candy tell Samuelson about the bribe?
2. Why does Spenser suggest that Franco killed Felton, in response to Candy's suspicion?
3. Who asks Candy out to dinner shortly after she is taken off the corruption story?
4. What does Spenser hear after finding Peter Brewster's car the night of the meeting with Franco?
5. Who is revealed to have been a collection agent for a loan shark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franco's known background.
2. Does Spenser respect Candy?
3. How do Candy and Spenser get into Sam Felton's house?
4. Describe what happens when Spenser confronts Brewster at the Oceania offices.
5. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
6. Describe Franco's visit to Sam Felton's house.
7. What indications are there that Candy and Spenser are in danger at Sam Felton's house?
8. Does Detective Samuelson respect Spenser?
9. Why does Spenser refuse the extra week's pay he is offered by Candy's boss?
10. Describe the events leading to Candy's death at the oil field.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the downfalls of characters like Candy, Peter Brewster, Mickey Rafferty, and others equate to morality and appearances?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Candy's desire to succeed in a man's world, her ultimate goal of breaking the corruption story was ultimately completed, after her death, by Spenser. What message is the author trying to send about women in the story? How do this character's actions, and her reliance on and use of the men in the story, affect that theme?
Essay Topic 3
Many elements of A Savage Place seem ready made for the big screen: car chases, sex, corruption and murder, all on a large scale. Imagine that the author wrote this novel, not as a detective story, but as a narrative of the event. What elements would need to be changed? Consider things like names, settings, and events in your response.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)