|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candy invite Spenser in Chapter 22?
2. Why does Candy get defensive towards Spenser after she returns from her dinner date?
3. Why does a news crew come to Peter Brewster's office?
4. Who do Candy and Spenser eat lunch with at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. Who does Spenser learn bailed Roger Hammond out of financial trouble 6 years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
2. Why does Spenser go to Peter Brewster's office after Candy is killed?
3. Describe Spenser's relationship with Detective Samuelson.
4. How do Candy and Spenser get into Sam Felton's house?
5. Why do Candy and Spenser go to visit Sam Felton?
6. How does Candy feel about using sex to get information from Peter Brewster?
7. Which characters in the novel get what they deserve?
8. Why does Spenser refuse the extra week's pay he is offered by Candy's boss?
9. What does Spenser do after finding Candy's dead body?
10. Describe what happens when Spenser confronts Brewster at the Oceania offices.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncovering corruption in A Savage Place has dire consequences for Candy and others.
1) Which characters best represent corruption in the novel?
2) How do the title and setting support the theme of corruption in the story?
3) How do Candy and Spenser's willingness to defy authority help or hinder her attempt to uncover the corruption in the film industry?
Essay Topic 2
Is Candy more logical or emotional by nature? Support your answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Ambition seems to fuel many elements of A Savage Place. Candy's ambition, in particular, to succeed at her job seems to lead her to her death. How would the story be different if Candy's main motivation was to right a wrong, rather than to pursue her career?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)