|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser do when Candy goes on a first dinner date after she is taken off the corruption story?
2. By the end of Chapter 18, who does Spenser suspect of being behind the bribes, murders, and the attacks on Candy?
3. How are Simms and Franco connected?
4. Who do Candy and Spenser eat lunch with at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. What does Spenser promise Detective Samuelson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Candy feel safe around Peter Brewster?
2. Describe Franco's known background.
3. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
4. How does Candy react to being told to stop working on the corruption investigation story?
5. Which characters in the novel get what they deserve?
6. Describe Franco's visit to Sam Felton's house.
7. Why does Spenser decide to tell Detective Samuelson about the bribe?
8. Does Detective Samuelson respect Spenser?
9. Describe the events leading to Candy's death at the oil field.
10. What indications are there that Candy and Spenser are in danger at Sam Felton's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships in A Savage Place are a bit complex. Answer the following questions on the relationships that follow.
1) How is Spenser's ability to act as a bodyguard affected once he has sex with Candy?
2) How is the reader's perception of Spenser based on his relationships with others?
3) Does Candy use the men she is involved with, or does she genuinely care for them?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Candy's desire to succeed in a man's world, her ultimate goal of breaking the corruption story was ultimately completed, after her death, by Spenser. What message is the author trying to send about women in the story? How do this character's actions, and her reliance on and use of the men in the story, affect that theme?
Essay Topic 3
How are exploitation, morality, and success interwoven in characters and themes in a Savage Place?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)