|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered in the dumpster at a Holiday Inn?
2. How are Simms and Franco connected?
3. Where does Detective Samuelson take Spenser at the end of the novel?
4. Who does Spenser learn bailed Roger Hammond out of financial trouble 6 years ago?
5. What does Spenser do when Candy goes on a first dinner date after she is taken off the corruption story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Candy hinder the police investigation into Mickey Rafferty's death?
2. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
3. Describe Franco's visit to Sam Felton's house.
4. What does Spenser do after finding Candy's dead body?
5. Describe the events leading to Candy's death at the oil field.
6. Which characters in the novel get what they deserve?
7. How does Candy react to being told to stop working on the corruption investigation story?
8. What leads Spenser to suspect that Sam Felton is behind the attacks on Candy?
9. Why does Spenser decide to tell Detective Samuelson about the bribe?
10. What is the connection between Peter Brewster and Sam Felton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex in A Savage Place is used, much like murder, as a means to an end.
1) What does Spenser and Candy's one night stand represent?
2) How is the fact that Candy and Peter Brewster have sex important to the pace of the story?
3) How are sex, murder and the movie industry connected in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Spenser is one used by author Robert B. Parker in a numerous series of novels. What is it about the character of Spenser that makes readers want to read about him more than once? Discuss the specific character traits that make Spenser likable and easy for readers to relate to.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships in A Savage Place are a bit complex. Answer the following questions on the relationships that follow.
1) How is Spenser's ability to act as a bodyguard affected once he has sex with Candy?
2) How is the reader's perception of Spenser based on his relationships with others?
3) Does Candy use the men she is involved with, or does she genuinely care for them?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)