|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives the car on the way back from the meeting with Roger Hammond?
2. What causes Spenser to speak rudely to Peter Brewster?
3. Where does Candy go to meet the person who called her on the day that Spenser arrived in town?
4. Who does Peter Brewster call at the end of Chapter 11?
5. Who threatens to complain to Candy's boss after she says she has a witness to a bribe payoff?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mickey's hostility toward Spenser resolved?
2. Is Candy concerned about other people?
3. How is Mickey involved in Candy's investigation?
4. Describe Spenser's feelings about Los Angeles.
5. Is Candy's ambition a positive trait?
6. How does Spenser first hear about Candy Sloan?
7. What kind of person is Candy?
8. What clues does Spenser have in Chapters 6 and 7 that tell him Candy is on the right track with her investigation?
9. Describe Candy's abduction.
10. Describe Candy's conversation with Peter Brewster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan is an absent character who is only referred to in the story.
1) How would the novel be different if this character did not exist?
2) How would the novel be different if this character was present at events in the novel?
3) How would the novel be different if the lead character was a woman, and Spenser was the absent boyfriend?
Essay Topic 2
Rejection of authority in A Savage Place is an important theme in both character and plot development. Analyze the importance of each character's response to authority in the story: Spenser, Candy, the mob, Sam Felton and Peter Brewster.
Essay Topic 3
Sex in A Savage Place is used, much like murder, as a means to an end.
1) What does Spenser and Candy's one night stand represent?
2) How is the fact that Candy and Peter Brewster have sex important to the pace of the story?
3) How are sex, murder and the movie industry connected in this novel?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)