|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Mickey Rafferty's appearance?
2. What does Roger Hammond want from Candy after she shares her suspicions?
3. How does Roger Hammond initially react to Candy and Spenser?
4. What does Spenser show Candy in the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Where does Spenser stay during Candy's recovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mickey's hostility toward Spenser resolved?
2. What is the relationship between Candy and Mickey?
3. How is Mickey involved in Candy's investigation?
4. Is Candy's ambition a positive trait?
5. Is Mickey reliable?
6. Describe Candy's abduction.
7. Describe Spenser's feelings about Los Angeles.
8. Why does Spenser avoid the police sirens coming around the corner at the end of Chapter 7?
9. Describe Mickey Rafferty.
10. How does Candy feel about Spenser aiding her with the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence in A Savage Place is often used with a purpose, on the part of the author. Select 2-3 issues of violence in the novel and analyze their effect on the story in ways that might include character and plot development, contrast, purpose and other literary techniques.
Essay Topic 2
Susan is an absent character who is only referred to in the story.
1) How would the novel be different if this character did not exist?
2) How would the novel be different if this character was present at events in the novel?
3) How would the novel be different if the lead character was a woman, and Spenser was the absent boyfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Ambition seems to fuel many elements of A Savage Place. Candy's ambition, in particular, to succeed at her job seems to lead her to her death. How would the story be different if Candy's main motivation was to right a wrong, rather than to pursue her career?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)