|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Candy Sloan?
2. Why do Spenser and Candy have to wait to see Roger Hammond?
3. How does Spenser answer the phone in Chapter 1?
4. Who meets Spenser at the airport in Chapter 2?
5. Where is the first place Candy goes at the Farmer's Market in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Candy's fears of sexism confirmed during her visit to Richard Hammond?
2. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
3. Describe the events leading to Candy's death at the oil field.
4. Describe Spenser's relationship with Detective Samuelson.
5. How does Spenser try to keep Candy safe from Peter Brewster?
6. How well do Spenser and Candy work together?
7. Does Candy feel safe around Peter Brewster?
8. Describe the relationship between Richard Hammond and the mob.
9. Is Mickey reliable?
10. Is Richard Hammond a powerful man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Candy and Susan are used to represent different aspects of femininity as the only two women in A Savage Place. Compare and contrast these two woman and their impact on the story, and the author's message about women in the world today.
Essay Topic 2
Ambition seems to fuel many elements of A Savage Place. Candy's ambition, in particular, to succeed at her job seems to lead her to her death. How would the story be different if Candy's main motivation was to right a wrong, rather than to pursue her career?
Essay Topic 3
Susan is an absent character who is only referred to in the story.
1) How would the novel be different if this character did not exist?
2) How would the novel be different if this character was present at events in the novel?
3) How would the novel be different if the lead character was a woman, and Spenser was the absent boyfriend?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)