|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Spenser stay during Candy's recovery?
2. Who is Candy Sloan?
3. What does Spenser do after breakfast in Chapter 3?
4. What does Spenser decide about the person waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
5. Why do Spenser and Candy return to his hotel before she goes back to work, after her recovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Spenser's first conversation with Candy Sloan?
2. What is the relationship between Candy and Mickey?
3. Describe Mickey Rafferty.
4. Is Candy concerned about other people?
5. Describe Richard Hammond's reaction to Candy's allegations of corruption.
6. Is Mickey reliable?
7. What is revealed about Spenser by the way he deals with the man who follows Candy in Chapter 7?
8. How is Mickey's hostility toward Spenser resolved?
9. Is Candy's ambition a positive trait?
10. Does Richard Hammond feel threatened by Candy's questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other than Spenser, are there any characters in the novel that can be described as trustworthy or honest? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser and Peter Brewster are portrayed as very powerful and competent men.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Explain how each furthers the character development of the other.
3) Analyze Candy's attraction to both of these characters.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Spenser is one used by author Robert B. Parker in a numerous series of novels. What is it about the character of Spenser that makes readers want to read about him more than once? Discuss the specific character traits that make Spenser likable and easy for readers to relate to.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)