|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Spenser and Candy do after stopping by his hotel on the day she returns to work?
2. What does Spenser decide about the person waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
3. What best describes Mickey Rafferty's mood when Spenser first meets him?
4. What does the person who calls Spenser in Chapter 3 tell him?
5. What industry is the topic of Candy Sloan's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Hammond's reaction to Candy's allegations of corruption.
2. What clues does Spenser have in Chapters 6 and 7 that tell him Candy is on the right track with her investigation?
3. How is Mickey involved in Candy's investigation?
4. What is the relationship between Candy and Mickey?
5. Is Richard Hammond a powerful man?
6. How are Candy's fears of sexism confirmed during her visit to Richard Hammond?
7. Is Spenser a sympathetic person?
8. Describe Spenser's feelings about Los Angeles.
9. How does their one night stand affect the working relationship between Candy and Spenser?
10. Describe Candy's conversation with Peter Brewster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The symbolism of the novel as a scene in a movie is supported with car chases, agents, and good-looking LA reporters.
1) What symbolic element in the book best represents the underlying movie industry theme of A Savage Place?
2) What symbolic elements best denotes the gap between appearance and morality in the book?
3) What symbolic element, if it was not included in the novel, would have the greatest impact in its absence, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Ambition seems to fuel many elements of A Savage Place. Candy's ambition, in particular, to succeed at her job seems to lead her to her death. How would the story be different if Candy's main motivation was to right a wrong, rather than to pursue her career?
Essay Topic 3
How are exploitation, morality, and success interwoven in characters and themes in a Savage Place?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)