|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Candy and Spenser go to visit the day after their visit to Roger Hammond?
2. Why does Candy Sloan want to hire Spenser?
3. How long do Candy and Spenser have to wait before they are allowed to see the person they are visiting at the Oceania offices?
4. How does Spenser dress in Chapter 3?
5. What causes Spenser to speak rudely to Peter Brewster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Spenser a sympathetic person?
2. How does Candy feel about Spenser aiding her with the investigation?
3. Is Mickey reliable?
4. How are Candy's fears of sexism confirmed during her visit to Richard Hammond?
5. What is revealed about Spenser by the way he deals with the man who follows Candy in Chapter 7?
6. What kind of person is Candy?
7. How is Mickey involved in Candy's investigation?
8. Why does Candy Sloan need a bodyguard?
9. Does Richard Hammond feel threatened by Candy's questions?
10. Describe Mickey Rafferty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are exploitation, morality, and success interwoven in characters and themes in a Savage Place?
Essay Topic 2
Sex in A Savage Place is used, much like murder, as a means to an end.
1) What does Spenser and Candy's one night stand represent?
2) How is the fact that Candy and Peter Brewster have sex important to the pace of the story?
3) How are sex, murder and the movie industry connected in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Candy's desire to succeed in a man's world, her ultimate goal of breaking the corruption story was ultimately completed, after her death, by Spenser. What message is the author trying to send about women in the story? How do this character's actions, and her reliance on and use of the men in the story, affect that theme?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)