|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candy Sloan say she would rather NOT do when she talks to Spenser on the phone?
2. How does Roger Hammond react when Candy shares her corruption suspicions?
3. What does Spenser decide about the person waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
4. Who hired the person who is waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
5. Where is the first place Candy goes at the Farmer's Market in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mickey reliable?
2. Describe Spenser's feelings about Los Angeles.
3. How does their one night stand affect the working relationship between Candy and Spenser?
4. What is revealed about Spenser by the way he deals with the man who follows Candy in Chapter 7?
5. Is Candy's ambition a positive trait?
6. How does Spenser first hear about Candy Sloan?
7. How is Mickey's hostility toward Spenser resolved?
8. Describe Candy's abduction.
9. Is Spenser a sympathetic person?
10. Does Richard Hammond feel threatened by Candy's questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Spenser is one used by author Robert B. Parker in a numerous series of novels. What is it about the character of Spenser that makes readers want to read about him more than once? Discuss the specific character traits that make Spenser likable and easy for readers to relate to.
Essay Topic 2
Rejection of authority in A Savage Place is an important theme in both character and plot development. Analyze the importance of each character's response to authority in the story: Spenser, Candy, the mob, Sam Felton and Peter Brewster.
Essay Topic 3
Candy and Susan are used to represent different aspects of femininity as the only two women in A Savage Place. Compare and contrast these two woman and their impact on the story, and the author's message about women in the world today.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)