Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Candy wants to do when she returns to work?
2. What does the person look like who is waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
3. What best describes Mickey Rafferty's mood when Spenser first meets him?
4. Who threatens to complain to Candy's boss after she says she has a witness to a bribe payoff?
5. Who is Sam Felton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Candy's abduction.
2. Which characters in the novel get what they deserve?
3. Why does Candy refuse to let Spenser console her in Chapter 12?
4. Does Spenser respect Candy?
5. Why does Candy hinder the police investigation into Mickey Rafferty's death?
6. What leads Spenser to suspect that Franco is running the corruption scheme?
7. Does Candy feel safe around Peter Brewster?
8. Describe Mickey Rafferty.
9. Does Detective Samuelson respect Spenser?
10. Is Candy concerned about other people?
Essay Topic 1
Rejection of authority in A Savage Place is an important theme in both character and plot development. Analyze the importance of each character's response to authority in the story: Spenser, Candy, the mob, Sam Felton and Peter Brewster.
Essay Topic 2
Susan is an absent character who is only referred to in the story.
1) How would the novel be different if this character did not exist?
2) How would the novel be different if this character was present at events in the novel?
3) How would the novel be different if the lead character was a woman, and Spenser was the absent boyfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Is Candy more logical or emotional by nature? Support your answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)