|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Spenser and Candy have to wait to see Roger Hammond?
2. Where does Spenser go by plane in Chapter 2?
3. What is Mickey's job?
4. What is Spenser reading when the novel opens?
5. Who does Peter Brewster call at the end of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Spenser's first conversation with Candy Sloan?
2. Does Richard Hammond feel threatened by Candy's questions?
3. Describe Candy's conversation with Peter Brewster.
4. How well do Spenser and Candy work together?
5. How are Candy's fears of sexism confirmed during her visit to Richard Hammond?
6. Describe Mickey Rafferty.
7. How does their one night stand affect the working relationship between Candy and Spenser?
8. Why does Candy send someone else to pick up Spenser his first morning in Los Angeles?
9. What is revealed about Spenser by the way he deals with the man who follows Candy in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Candy Sloan need a bodyguard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Spenser is one used by author Robert B. Parker in a numerous series of novels. What is it about the character of Spenser that makes readers want to read about him more than once? Discuss the specific character traits that make Spenser likable and easy for readers to relate to.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser and Peter Brewster are portrayed as very powerful and competent men.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Explain how each furthers the character development of the other.
3) Analyze Candy's attraction to both of these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Susan is an absent character who is only referred to in the story.
1) How would the novel be different if this character did not exist?
2) How would the novel be different if this character was present at events in the novel?
3) How would the novel be different if the lead character was a woman, and Spenser was the absent boyfriend?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)