|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true of Candy when Spenser first sees her in Chapter 3?
(a) She is yelling at her brother.
(b) She is giving orders to others.
(c) She is wearing a red suit.
(d) Her face is bruised.
2. What does Rachel Wallace tell Spenser to expect?
(a) A phone call.
(c) A package.
3. What happens to Candy when she meets the person who called her on the evening of Spenser's arrival?
(a) She is abducted and beaten.
(b) She is given a packet of confidential files.
(c) She is fired.
(d) She is blackmailed.
4. Who does Spenser find waiting near Candy's car in Chapter 7?
(a) Roger Hammond.
(b) Mickey Rafferty.
(c) A strange man.
(d) Sam Felton.
5. Who tells Candy and Spenser that Roger Hammond got the studio into financial trouble?
(a) A doctor.
(b) An agent.
(c) An attorney.
(d) Sam Felton.
6. What is the relationship between Mickey and Candy?
(a) He thinks she is his girlfriend.
(b) They have never met.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) She once interviewed him for a story.
7. What does Candy Sloan say she would rather NOT do when she talks to Spenser on the phone?
(a) Give details using email.
(c) Give details over the phone.
8. What does Spenser hear that causes him to drive around the corner at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Police sirens.
(d) A building alarm.
9. What best describes Roger Hammond's reaction to seeing Spenser and Candy after their meeting?
10. How does Roger Hammond react when Candy shares her corruption suspicions?
(a) He agrees to help if he can.
(b) He shares his own suspicions.
(c) He becomes hostile.
(d) He dismisses suspicions and calls her naive.
11. What causes Spenser to speak rudely to Peter Brewster?
(a) His rudeness to Candy.
(b) The way his assistant treats them.
(c) A picture he sees on Brewster's desk.
(d) Something Detective Odell tells him.
12. Where is Candy left stranded in Chapter 3?
(a) The Ventura Freeway.
(b) The departing flights zone.
(c) Behind an abandoned warehouse.
(d) By the giraffe exhibit.
13. What does Roger Hammond want from Candy after she shares her suspicions?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) Updates on her progress.
(c) The name of her source.
(d) To help in the investigation.
14. Why does the person in Chapter 7 tell Candy that he believes Roger Hammond is lying?
(a) Because Felton would have told him about the accusations.
(b) Because he overheard a conversation.
(c) Because Hammond and Felton are cousins.
(d) Because Hammond has a drug problem.
15. How does Spenser dress in Chapter 3?
(a) In jeans and a t-shirt.
(b) In a casual suit.
(c) In a business suit and tie.
(d) In a seersucker suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Candy Sloan want to hire Spenser?
2. Who is Rachel Wallace?
3. Who does Candy think Sam Felton is involved with?
4. What does Candy tell the person that she and Spenser go to see after leaving the Farmer's Market?
5. What does Spenser tell Candy about Susan the night before they visit the Oceania offices?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)