* Former client, Rachel Wallace, contacts Spenser with a client referral.
* Journalist Candy Sloan hires Spenser to act as her bodyguard as she investigates a corruption story.
* Spenser flies to Los Angeles and meets Candy Sloan.
* Mickey Rafferty tells Spenser that Candy Sloan was injured and brings him to her home.
* Candy Sloan tells Spenser she was abducted and beaten by two men in a van.
* Mickey attempts to hit Spenser but is easily overpowered.
* Mickey reveals that he witnessed a bribe between Sam Felton and a mobster.
* Spenser stays at Candy's during her recovery.
* Candy and Spenser share her accusations with Roger Hammond and are kicked out of his office.
* Roger Hammond has Candy and Spenser escorted to their cars.
* Spenser notices that he and Candy are being followed.
* Spenser learns that the man who abducted Candy also hired the man...
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)