|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes command of the Lucretia after Solomon retires?
2. What did Waltham and his father throw into the ocean to help the people of Davalo?
3. What is the name of the caretaker of Highbourne Hill?
4. What was the name of Sophie's boat?
5. In the Epilogue, who is going to sail around the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tully meet Dawn before the resort at San Pedro?
2. What is the story of Cleopatra's birth?
3. What is Willie's experience like when he first sees the Fresnal lens?
4. What is Willie Singer's cover story as he travels with Phillippe Parfait?
5. How did Cleopatra prepare for her own burial?
6. Why is Cayo Loco no longer a salty piece of land?
7. What becomes of the crew of the Lucretia?
8. Why did Willie Singer want to go to New Caledonia?
9. Why does Tully compare Cleopatra's burial to an Egyptian queen?
10. How does Tully feel as he waits to hear news of Cleopatra in the hospital waiting room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of lights and lighthouses to the plot and themes of A Salty Piece of Land?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the weather phenomena seen throughout the novel and the themes weather is used to illuminate.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of nature used in A Salty Piece of Land, including crocodiles, fish, pelicans, and volcanos.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)