|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shatters on deck when Cleopatra dies?
2. Where is Sophie's boat from?
3. What kind of gun did Cleopatra have aboard the Lucretia?
4. What did Waltham and Parfait bring to Cleopatra's grave?
5. Who does Tully try to call before the bounty hunters capture him in the bungalow in San Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cayo Loco no longer a salty piece of land?
2. Why does Tully compare Cleopatra's burial to an Egyptian queen?
3. Why does Cleopatra compare Tully to Odysseus?
4. Where did the novel get its title?
5. Why do the people of Dalvalo worship pilots?
6. How does Tully help Cleopatra say goodbye to Highbourne Hill?
7. How are Tully's concerns about Mr. Twain taken care of?
8. Why does Captain Kirk tell Tully to put on his sailing shoes?
9. Why did Willie Singer want to go to New Caledonia?
10. How is Cleopatra very generous to the people she cares about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the thematic importance of each of the following characters: Cleopatra Highbourne, Dawn Barston, and Bucky Norman.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Buffet's use of both traditional and non-traditional religion in A Salty Piece of Land.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circular structure of the novel. How does the structure of the novel mirror Tully's own journey?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)