|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tully dreamed that he had a machine that would shrink his horse to the size of what?
2. Where is Cleopatra buried?
3. Who does Cleopatra leave the Lucretia to?
4. What did Waltham and Parfait bring to Cleopatra's grave?
5. Cleopatra compares Tully's situation as he joins the crew of the Lucretia to whose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cleopatra compare Tully to Odysseus?
2. How does Tully feel as he waits to hear news of Cleopatra in the hospital waiting room?
3. Where did Tully meet Dawn before the resort at San Pedro?
4. Why did Willie Singer want to go to New Caledonia?
5. What becomes of the crew of the Lucretia?
6. What did hearing a cigarette boat off of Cayo Loco remind Tully of?
7. How did Cleopatra prepare for her own burial?
8. How is Cleopatra very generous to the people she cares about?
9. How does Tully help Cleopatra say goodbye to Highbourne Hill?
10. Why does Tully compare Cleopatra's burial to an Egyptian queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular structure of the novel. How does the structure of the novel mirror Tully's own journey?
Essay Topic 2
From the names of characters and places to outlandish events, how is A Salty Piece of Land a parody in some ways?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the following: Lister's conch, boats, and islands.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)