|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sophie's grandfather?
2. Cleopatra takes Tully to a __________ in Cuba.
3. Where is Cleopatra buried?
4. What did Tully name the horse they found swimming in the bay?
5. Cleopatra leaves money for a sailing school in _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did hearing a cigarette boat off of Cayo Loco remind Tully of?
2. What is Tully's opinion about Dawn's future after he is rescued from her and the Stiltons?
3. What becomes of Lister's conch?
4. What kind of vision does Ix-Nay have while he is watching the sea turtle hatchlings with Consuelo?
5. What is the story of Cleopatra's birth?
6. What becomes of the crew of the Lucretia?
7. Why does Captain Kirk tell Tully to put on his sailing shoes?
8. What is Willie's experience like when he first sees the Fresnal lens?
9. How are Tully's concerns about Mr. Twain taken care of?
10. Why does Tully compare Cleopatra's burial to an Egyptian queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of journeys and transitions in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of lights and lighthouses to the plot and themes of A Salty Piece of Land?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in nearly every chapter of the novel? Is this literary device overused by Buffet? Why or why not?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)