|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tully swims in the ocean with Dawn, what creature lands in the palm of his hand?
2. Ix-Nay tells Tully that there is ___________ on the road of life.
3. What lands on Tully's arm when he is up in the lighthouse with Cleopatra?
4. Where is Sophie's boat from?
5. As Tully reflects on Cleopatra's death, he compares life to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dawn agree to help Thelma Barston capture Tully?
2. Where did the novel get its title?
3. Why does Cleopatra compare Tully to Odysseus?
4. How do the Stilton brothers capture Tully in San Pedro?
5. How were the charges against Tully in Wyoming dropped?
6. What did hearing a cigarette boat off of Cayo Loco remind Tully of?
7. What is Willie's experience like when he first sees the Fresnal lens?
8. What is Sophie Diamant's story?
9. How does Tully react when he sees Waldo Stilton in San Pedro?
10. Why did Willie Singer want to go to New Caledonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of journeys and transitions in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the weather phenomena seen throughout the novel and the themes weather is used to illuminate.
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of returning a sailor home used throughout the novel?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)