|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tully name the horse they found swimming in the bay?
2. What do people bring with them when they come to visit the Cayo Loco lighthouse?
3. Cleopatra tells Tully it's time to put a little distance between his what?
4. What shatters on deck when Cleopatra dies?
5. What does Phillippe Parfait tell Willie to act like while traveling with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tully meet Dawn before the resort at San Pedro?
2. Why is Cayo Loco no longer a salty piece of land?
3. Why did Dawn agree to help Thelma Barston capture Tully?
4. What becomes of the crew of the Lucretia?
5. What becomes of Lister's conch?
6. According to Cleopatra, how had Miami changed in her lifetime?
7. How are Tully's concerns about Mr. Twain taken care of?
8. How does Tully feel as Ix-Nay and Sammy Raye leave him behind to join the crew of the Lucretia?
9. Where did the novel get its title?
10. How does Tully feel as he waits to hear news of Cleopatra in the hospital waiting room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of second chances used throughout the novel with several different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the Fresnel lens. What are the allegorical and thematic implications of Willie Singer being the one to bring it to Tully?
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of returning a sailor home used throughout the novel?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)