|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
(a) More work is done during the night than in the day.
(b) The food improves with better suply lines.
(c) The junior officers are all given new commands.
(d) The plan changes from defensive to offensive.
2. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must buy them one drink.
(b) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(c) He must go shower.
(d) He must pay them up front for their services.
3. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
(b) Early morning
4. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(b) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(c) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
(d) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
5. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
(a) After so long a time, it has no significance at all.
(b) After experiencing many deaths, the impact of one death diminishes.
(c) No matter how many you see, it never diminishes in effect.
(d) One developes a sense of better him than me.
6. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
(b) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(c) He comes down with malaria and dies.
(d) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
7. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
(a) Sunstroke and accidents, accidental discharges of weapons, and disease
(b) Heavy artillery fire that came mostly at night
(c) Suicides and in-fighting
(d) Disorientation resulting in wandering from the camp
8. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
(a) There are just too many to find all of them.
(b) The RFs often clear the wrong field because of communication problems.
(c) The RFs lack the necessary equipment to do the job right.
(d) Either they are lazy or Viet Cong who had inflitrated them, leave the mines in place.
9. What happens for about twenty-five of the men?
(a) They are put on report for mistakes they made.
(b) They are the first to get medical exams for tropical diseases.
(c) They are trucked to Danang for liberty.
(d) They fall ill from dengu fever.
10. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
(a) As an occasion for excitement and danger
(b) As good training for surviving natural disasters
(c) As an easy way to make money
(d) As financial security for the rest of his life
11. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(b) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(c) That some general has a loose screw.
(d) That is because of political infighting.
12. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He changes a captain's orders.
(b) He lights up a cigarette.
(c) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
(d) He orders a retreat.
13. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) They do not want to deprive the children.
(b) They have no time to drink a Coke.
(c) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
(d) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
14. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
(a) The statement that one should not be afraid of the jungle.
(b) The suggestion that the enemy could not advance in the jungle.
(c) The remark that the jungle is only in Africa.
(d) The idea that the jungle is only trees.
15. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A small base camp
(b) A woman carrying a baby
(c) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(d) A cache of modern weapons
Short Answer Questions
1. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
2. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
3. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
4. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
5. What do they experience on their first night?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)