|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(b) They go on an aircraft carrier.
(c) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
(d) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
2. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(b) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(c) They all have the same tattoos.
(d) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
3. How long do Caputo and his platoon continue guarding the parameters at Danang?
(a) Seven weeks
(b) Six days
(c) Over a month
(d) Six months
4. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(b) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(c) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(d) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
5. What does Caputo call the training for war?
(a) A little bit of hell
(b) A subtle kind of mind control
(c) The last torture
(d) The calm before the storm
6. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting the approval of his superiors
(b) Getting a Washington desk job
(c) Drinking and partying
(d) Getting enough sleep
7. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
(a) Giao-Tri, the village they had destroyed
(b) They pass through the LZ which has been destroyed
(c) The small camp where they found the documents
(d) They have to recross the muddy river
8. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(b) A cache of modern weapons
(c) A small base camp
(d) A woman carrying a baby
9. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) They do not want to deprive the children.
(b) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
(c) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
(d) They have no time to drink a Coke.
10. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
(a) Go around the bend himself or send a volunteer.
(b) Call for air cover or send a RP scout in to take a look.
(c) Assume the VC is dead or wait and watch for some movement.
(d) Go after him and risk an ambush or turn around and go back.
11. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That some general has a loose screw.
(d) That is because of political infighting.
12. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
(b) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
(c) He will never get to see military action.
(d) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
13. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
(b) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(c) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
(d) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
14. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
(b) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(c) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
(d) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
15. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(b) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(c) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(d) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they experience on their first night?
2. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
3. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
4. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
5. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)