|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Dysentary for three days
(b) Denial of any further liberty
(c) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(d) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
2. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(b) Like standing in a high wind
(c) Like a falling brick
(d) Like a run down a ski slope
3. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
(a) Ambush is murder and murder is fun!
(b) She won't do it but her sister will!
(c) This is my rifle and this is my gun!
(d) Remember the Alamo!
4. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to stand up and give arm signals
(b) Not to lead a forced march
(c) Not to light up a cigarette
(d) Not to shout orders to his men
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
(a) Like a perfect military maneuver
(b) Like Hannibal crossing the Alps.
(c) Like a snake with two heads
(d) Nothing like the practice attacks at Quantico
6. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To abolish Communism in the world
(b) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
(c) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
(d) To bolster the American economy
7. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
(a) They get lost and go around in a circle.
(b) An attack helicopter goes ahead of them to strafe the area.
(c) The Hill 267 howitzers shell near the place where they are.
(d) The invisible enemy opens automatic sniper fire on them.
8. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That some general has a loose screw.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That is because of political infighting.
(d) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
9. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
(a) He thinks it will be dull and routine.
(b) He imagines it will be like taking a vacation.
(c) He thinks it will be frightening but he needs the money.
(d) He enters the war with romantic notions of being a hero.
10. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They all have the same tattoos.
(b) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(c) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(d) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
11. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(b) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
(c) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(d) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
12. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) He comes down with malaria and dies.
(b) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(c) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
(d) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
13. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
(a) The LZ is under enemy machine gun fire.
(b) The VC had set the LZ on fire
(c) It was too windy for helicopters to fly
(d) The Howies had destroyed the terraine
14. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(b) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
(c) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(d) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
15. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
(a) Running for cover
(b) Looking for the LZ
(c) Praying for rain
(d) Rescue civilians
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
2. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
3. What does Caputo almost trip over going through the high grass?
4. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
5. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)