|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Caputo's first command?
(a) Okinawa, Japan
(b) The Philippines
(c) Seoul, Korea
(d) Danang, Vietnam
2. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
(b) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
(c) The night becomes unbearably cold.
(d) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
3. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) New recruits from Alabama
(b) Men he went to basic training with
(c) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(d) Older, war experienced non-coms
4. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(b) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
(c) He comes down with malaria and dies.
(d) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
5. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
(a) They had gone on a night training hike.
(b) Many of them had gone AWOL.
(c) It is Sunday and they are all over the island.
(d) They hear the news and do not want to be found.
6. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
(d) Early morning
7. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Asleep in their quarters
(b) On leave in Tokyo
(c) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(d) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
8. Why do they get ready to move out to the war zone several times?
(a) There is nothing better to do.
(b) They want to be sure they know what to do.
(c) It's a kind of war game they play.
(d) There are several false alarms of going to war, but none pan out .
9. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
(a) Watching one of his men shot and killed by a sniper
(b) A visit to the field hospital
(c) The crash of a Marine helicopter
(d) An outbreak of malaria
10. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(b) It is the detachment of unreality.
(c) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(d) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
11. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
(a) The orange smoke of artillery
(b) The vietnamese villages
(c) The Cordellia
(d) The muddy colored river
12. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(b) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(c) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(d) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
13. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
(a) Men who caused him the most grief
(b) Men who either died or were severely wounded in combat
(c) Men with whom he played poker and drank beer
(d) Men who always followed his orders to the letter
14. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(b) The cooperation of the ARVN
(c) The number of enemy corpses
(d) The cessation of sniper fire
15. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
(b) Probable brain damage
(d) Damaged immune system
Short Answer Questions
1. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
2. What are the two problems Caputo says are the worst while they guard the landing field?
3. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
4. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
5. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)