|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(b) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
(c) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
(d) They go on an aircraft carrier.
2. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
(a) One more Marine is killed and several have a fever.
(b) Two Marines are slightly wounded and others fall to the sun.
(c) No one is hit by enemy fire but six men have heatstroke.
(d) Two Marines are slightly wounded and a third is critical.
3. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
(a) They have grown apart and do not look at each other.
(b) They are withdrawn and wild-eyed.
(c) They have become even closer.
(d) They have all truned gray haired.
4. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
(a) Damaged immune system
(c) Probable brain damage
5. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
(a) He waits for his orders to go to basic training.
(b) He gets his physical fitness examination.
(c) He goes through basic training.
(d) He attends college classes.
6. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Looking for a place to put their tents
(b) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
(c) Getting a tour of the area
(d) Reading field manuals
7. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
(b) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(c) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(d) He suspects an ambush.
8. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
(a) The junior officers are all given new commands.
(b) More work is done during the night than in the day.
(c) The food improves with better suply lines.
(d) The plan changes from defensive to offensive.
9. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(b) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
(c) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(d) They all have the same tattoos.
10. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(b) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(c) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(d) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
11. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(b) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(c) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(d) How frightened she looks.
12. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They do hours of calisthenics.
(b) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(c) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
(d) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
13. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
(b) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(c) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(d) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
14. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
(b) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
(c) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(d) It reminds them of Okinawa.
15. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(b) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
2. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
3. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
4. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
5. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)