|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
(a) A water-soaked tent with makeshift furniture
(b) A dugout with sandbag walls and a bamboo roof
(c) A prefab building with airconditioning
(d) A revamped box car
2. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(b) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(c) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
(d) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
3. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(b) They all have the same tattoos.
(c) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
(d) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
4. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
(a) Nothing like the practice attacks at Quantico
(b) Like a snake with two heads
(c) Like Hannibal crossing the Alps.
(d) Like a perfect military maneuver
5. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(b) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
(c) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
(d) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
6. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
(c) Early morning
7. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
(a) They had gone on a night training hike.
(b) They hear the news and do not want to be found.
(c) It is Sunday and they are all over the island.
(d) Many of them had gone AWOL.
8. Why do they get ready to move out to the war zone several times?
(a) They want to be sure they know what to do.
(b) There is nothing better to do.
(c) There are several false alarms of going to war, but none pan out .
(d) It's a kind of war game they play.
9. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to stand up and give arm signals
(b) Not to lead a forced march
(c) Not to light up a cigarette
(d) Not to shout orders to his men
10. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(b) They go on an aircraft carrier.
(c) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
(d) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
11. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
(a) Elephant butte
(b) Alpha Range
(c) Charlie Ridge
(d) Phanom Phen
12. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
(b) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(c) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(d) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
13. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
(a) They have to suppose that any Vietnamese is a VC.
(b) It is another way of saying nowhere.
(c) The VC know all the secrets of the jungles and tall grasses.
(d) The Americans are always outnumbered.
14. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Dysentary for three days
(b) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(c) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
(d) Denial of any further liberty
15. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(b) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
(c) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
(d) King's "I have a dream" speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
2. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
3. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
4. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
5. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)