|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
(b) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
(c) They do not want to deprive the children.
(d) They have no time to drink a Coke.
2. At what age does Philip Caputo enlist in the Marine Corps?
3. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
(a) That they were outnumbered by the enemy.
(b) That it was just another drill.
(c) That they could win the war alone.
(d) That they would all be killed.
4. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(b) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(c) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(d) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
5. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(b) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(c) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(d) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
6. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
(a) He attends college classes.
(b) He goes through basic training.
(c) He waits for his orders to go to basic training.
(d) He gets his physical fitness examination.
7. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
(b) On leave in Tokyo
(c) Asleep in their quarters
(d) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
8. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
(a) He has no patience for stupidity.
(b) He never could stand the sight of blood.
(c) That is the way he is; he really loves this company.
(d) He thinks Marines have to be too tough.
9. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
(a) After so long a time, it has no significance at all.
(b) No matter how many you see, it never diminishes in effect.
(c) After experiencing many deaths, the impact of one death diminishes.
(d) One developes a sense of better him than me.
10. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(b) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(c) That is because of political infighting.
(d) That some general has a loose screw.
11. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The number of enemy corpses
(b) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(c) The cessation of sniper fire
(d) The cooperation of the ARVN
12. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
(a) Suicides and in-fighting
(b) Heavy artillery fire that came mostly at night
(c) Disorientation resulting in wandering from the camp
(d) Sunstroke and accidents, accidental discharges of weapons, and disease
13. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
(a) The Howies had destroyed the terraine
(b) It was too windy for helicopters to fly
(c) The LZ is under enemy machine gun fire.
(d) The VC had set the LZ on fire
14. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
(a) No, he ignores it and goes on drinking.
(b) Yes, he runs to the base to start packing.
(c) Yes, but he is too stunned to know what to do.
(d) No, he calls the OD to make sure.
15. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
(a) Gin Rummy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
2. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
3. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
4. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
5. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)