|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
(a) Alpha Range
(b) Phanom Phen
(c) Elephant butte
(d) Charlie Ridge
2. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(b) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(c) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(d) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
3. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That it will actually be one of their own men.
(b) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
(c) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
(d) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
4. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) NCO School
(c) Officers Basic School
(d) Quantico, VA
5. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
(a) A dugout with sandbag walls and a bamboo roof
(b) A water-soaked tent with makeshift furniture
(c) A revamped box car
(d) A prefab building with airconditioning
6. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
(a) As men who enlist, train and travel together from the beginning.
(b) They are all uneducated and street fighters.
(c) They are a group of strangers and misfits.
(d) As a highly polished fighting machine that needed no training.
7. In the evening, why are the peasant girls rushing down the road to their village?
(a) they are frightened by the American Marines.
(b) The Viet Cong regularly passes that way in the darkness.
(c) The rule is that Vietnamese outside after curfew are considered Viet Cong.
(d) They cannot find their way after dark.
8. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) He will never get to see military action.
(b) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
(c) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
(d) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
9. A book by what author is Caputo trying to read while waiting at the outpost on top of a hill?
(a) James Joyce
(d) Henry Miller
10. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
11. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(b) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
12. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(b) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
(c) They do hours of calisthenics.
(d) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
13. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
(a) One developes a sense of better him than me.
(b) No matter how many you see, it never diminishes in effect.
(c) After experiencing many deaths, the impact of one death diminishes.
(d) After so long a time, it has no significance at all.
14. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
(b) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(c) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
(d) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
15. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
(a) As an easy way to make money
(b) As financial security for the rest of his life
(c) As good training for surviving natural disasters
(d) As an occasion for excitement and danger
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
2. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
3. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
4. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
5. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)