|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Marines return to base camp?
(a) They have to march all the way back.
(b) A truck convoy picks them up.
(c) Wagons pulled by water buffalo take them back.
(d) They wait for morning and go by helicopter.
2. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
(a) He won't have to fill out a lot of paperwork.
(b) He doesn't want to have to explain to the boy's family.
(c) He does not want to think of him as a person but as a dead enemy.
(d) He doesn't want to know a name he can not pronounce.
3. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) King's "I have a dream" speech.
(b) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(c) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
(d) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
4. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
(a) More work is done during the night than in the day.
(b) The plan changes from defensive to offensive.
(c) The junior officers are all given new commands.
(d) The food improves with better suply lines.
5. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
(a) The remark that the jungle is only in Africa.
(b) The idea that the jungle is only trees.
(c) The statement that one should not be afraid of the jungle.
(d) The suggestion that the enemy could not advance in the jungle.
6. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
(a) Old and about ready for retirement
(b) A trim Marine ready for combat
(c) Overweight belly hanging over his belt and a large head
(d) Tall and gangly with big hands and feet
7. What is the misconception the platoon has when they are deployed to Vietnam?
(a) The Marines believe they can win the war single handedly.
(b) The Marines enter a war they think they cannot lose.
(c) The Marines think it will all be over in a week.
(d) The Marines are sure they will not become casualties.
8. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
(a) The muddy colored river
(b) The orange smoke of artillery
(c) The Cordellia
(d) The vietnamese villages
9. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
(a) Sunstroke and accidents, accidental discharges of weapons, and disease
(b) Disorientation resulting in wandering from the camp
(c) Suicides and in-fighting
(d) Heavy artillery fire that came mostly at night
10. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
(a) Look for snipers and take them out.
(b) Set up an outpost.
(c) Scare the Viet Cong into retreat.
(d) Find a battalion and destroy it.
11. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(b) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(c) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(d) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
12. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
(a) The Hill 267 howitzers shell near the place where they are.
(b) The invisible enemy opens automatic sniper fire on them.
(c) They get lost and go around in a circle.
(d) An attack helicopter goes ahead of them to strafe the area.
13. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
(b) That it will actually be one of their own men.
(c) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
(d) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
14. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
15. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(b) Like a falling brick
(c) Like a run down a ski slope
(d) Like standing in a high wind
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
2. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
3. What is the first offensive mission?
4. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
5. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)