|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Tester want to know about Caputo's trip to Japan?
(a) The girls
(b) The new arrivals
(c) The bars
(d) The weather
2. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(b) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
(c) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(d) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
3. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That is because of political infighting.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(d) That some general has a loose screw.
4. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(b) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(c) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(d) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
5. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
(a) The invisible enemy opens automatic sniper fire on them.
(b) The Hill 267 howitzers shell near the place where they are.
(c) An attack helicopter goes ahead of them to strafe the area.
(d) They get lost and go around in a circle.
6. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
(b) To bolster the American economy
(c) To abolish Communism in the world
(d) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
7. How many men are on a helicopter team?
8. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(b) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
(c) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(d) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
9. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(b) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(c) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(d) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
10. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
(a) Men who either died or were severely wounded in combat
(b) Men with whom he played poker and drank beer
(c) Men who caused him the most grief
(d) Men who always followed his orders to the letter
11. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(b) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(c) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(d) How frightened she looks.
12. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(b) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
(c) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(d) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
13. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
(a) A vicious, mud-bound manhunt
(b) As a regular forward march
(c) A joyous chase
(d) Like a surreal track meet
14. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He suspects an ambush.
(b) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(c) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(d) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
15. Why throw a grenade instead of firing a rifle in the dark?
(a) The rifle fire could give away the soldier's position.
(b) The grenade will cover more territory.
(c) Grenades make more noise.
(d) Rifle fire is a waste of ammunition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
2. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
3. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
4. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
5. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)