|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
(a) He drinks the Aussies under the table.
(b) He ends up having to pay for the drinks.
(c) He has one drink and leaves before things get out of hand.
(d) He gets drunk and wakes up the next morning in a bargirl's room.
2. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(b) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(c) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(d) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
3. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(b) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(c) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(d) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
4. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) Older, war experienced non-coms
(b) New recruits from Alabama
(c) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(d) Men he went to basic training with
5. Why throw a grenade instead of firing a rifle in the dark?
(a) The rifle fire could give away the soldier's position.
(b) Rifle fire is a waste of ammunition.
(c) Grenades make more noise.
(d) The grenade will cover more territory.
6. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The cooperation of the ARVN
(b) The cessation of sniper fire
(c) The number of enemy corpses
(d) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
7. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the detachment of unreality.
(b) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(c) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(d) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
8. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
(a) They are all captured and shot.
(b) They take a stand between the Marines and the enemy.
(c) They detach themselves and flee in panic.
(d) They are massacred by the Viet Cong.
9. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
(b) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(c) They go on an aircraft carrier.
(d) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
10. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
(a) Watching one of his men shot and killed by a sniper
(b) The crash of a Marine helicopter
(c) An outbreak of malaria
(d) A visit to the field hospital
11. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like standing in a high wind
(b) Like a run down a ski slope
(c) Like a falling brick
(d) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
12. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
(a) As men who enlist, train and travel together from the beginning.
(b) They are all uneducated and street fighters.
(c) As a highly polished fighting machine that needed no training.
(d) They are a group of strangers and misfits.
13. A book by what author is Caputo trying to read while waiting at the outpost on top of a hill?
(a) James Joyce
(b) Henry Miller
14. What does Caputo almost trip over going through the high grass?
(a) A dead water buffalo
(b) The radio operator
(c) A VC corpse
(d) A trip wire connected to a mine
15. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
(a) Gin Rummy
Short Answer Questions
1. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
2. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
3. What is the first offensive mission?
4. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
5. What do they hear about right away?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)