|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to light up a cigarette
(b) Not to stand up and give arm signals
(c) Not to shout orders to his men
(d) Not to lead a forced march
2. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
(b) To abolish Communism in the world
(c) To bolster the American economy
(d) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
3. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Advance and wait
(b) Hide and ambush
(c) Search and destroy
(d) Hit and run
4. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Officers Basic School
(b) NCO School
(c) Quantico, VA
(d) Washington, D.C.
5. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
6. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
(a) They have grown apart and do not look at each other.
(b) They have become even closer.
(c) They are withdrawn and wild-eyed.
(d) They have all truned gray haired.
7. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
(a) To the officers mess to get something to eat.
(b) To battalion HQ for a briefing.
(c) Back to Danang for a 2-day liberty.
(d) Back up the hill to retrieve his belongings.
8. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
(a) The RFs lack the necessary equipment to do the job right.
(b) There are just too many to find all of them.
(c) The RFs often clear the wrong field because of communication problems.
(d) Either they are lazy or Viet Cong who had inflitrated them, leave the mines in place.
9. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Reading field manuals
(b) Getting a tour of the area
(c) Looking for a place to put their tents
(d) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
10. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
(a) The local police
(b) The whores called Boom-Boom girls
(c) The Vietnamese Ruff-Puffs on leave
(d) The fruit venders
11. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
(a) Dozens of B-52 bombers land to rearm.
(b) A private is killed by friendly fire.
(c) A dog is blown up as is a sandbag between two men in a foxhole.
(d) An open attack is launched by the Viet Cong.
12. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(b) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(c) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(d) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
13. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
(a) The suggestion that the enemy could not advance in the jungle.
(b) The statement that one should not be afraid of the jungle.
(c) The remark that the jungle is only in Africa.
(d) The idea that the jungle is only trees.
14. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
(b) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(c) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(d) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
15. What are Vietnamese children doing as the Marine trucks pass through the village called Dogpatch?
(a) Dancing on the edge of the dusty road
(b) Playing rock music on radios
(c) Begging for candy and cigarettes
(d) Throwing rocks at the trucks
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
2. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
3. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
4. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
5. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)