|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A woman carrying a baby
(b) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(c) A small base camp
(d) A cache of modern weapons
2. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
(a) Running for cover
(b) Looking for the LZ
(c) Praying for rain
(d) Rescue civilians
3. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
(a) They are massacred by the Viet Cong.
(b) They take a stand between the Marines and the enemy.
(c) They are all captured and shot.
(d) They detach themselves and flee in panic.
4. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
(a) The RFs often clear the wrong field because of communication problems.
(b) The RFs lack the necessary equipment to do the job right.
(c) There are just too many to find all of them.
(d) Either they are lazy or Viet Cong who had inflitrated them, leave the mines in place.
5. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
(a) She won't do it but her sister will!
(b) Remember the Alamo!
(c) Ambush is murder and murder is fun!
(d) This is my rifle and this is my gun!
6. How do the Marines return to base camp?
(a) A truck convoy picks them up.
(b) They wait for morning and go by helicopter.
(c) Wagons pulled by water buffalo take them back.
(d) They have to march all the way back.
7. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
(a) As unprepared for combat
(b) As frightened school kids
(c) As boy scouts on a hike
(d) As knights in shining armor
8. What does Caputo call the training for war?
(a) A little bit of hell
(b) The calm before the storm
(c) A subtle kind of mind control
(d) The last torture
9. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to stand up and give arm signals
(b) Not to lead a forced march
(c) Not to light up a cigarette
(d) Not to shout orders to his men
10. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
(b) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(c) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(d) It is the detachment of unreality.
11. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(b) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(c) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(d) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
12. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
(b) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(c) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
(d) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
13. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(b) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(c) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
(d) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
14. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(b) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(c) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(d) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
15. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
(a) Men who caused him the most grief
(b) Men with whom he played poker and drank beer
(c) Men who always followed his orders to the letter
(d) Men who either died or were severely wounded in combat
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
2. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
3. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
4. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
5. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)