|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are on a helicopter team?
2. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
(a) As good training for surviving natural disasters
(b) As financial security for the rest of his life
(c) As an easy way to make money
(d) As an occasion for excitement and danger
3. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He lights up a cigarette.
(b) He orders a retreat.
(c) He changes a captain's orders.
(d) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
4. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
(a) The RFs lack the necessary equipment to do the job right.
(b) Either they are lazy or Viet Cong who had inflitrated them, leave the mines in place.
(c) The RFs often clear the wrong field because of communication problems.
(d) There are just too many to find all of them.
5. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Advance and wait
(b) Hit and run
(c) Search and destroy
(d) Hide and ambush
6. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(b) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(c) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
(d) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
7. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(b) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(c) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(d) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
8. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(b) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(c) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
(d) He suspects an ambush.
9. Why do they get ready to move out to the war zone several times?
(a) It's a kind of war game they play.
(b) There are several false alarms of going to war, but none pan out .
(c) There is nothing better to do.
(d) They want to be sure they know what to do.
10. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
(b) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(c) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(d) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
11. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That is because of political infighting.
(b) That some general has a loose screw.
(c) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(d) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
12. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(b) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(c) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(d) How frightened she looks.
13. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A woman carrying a baby
(b) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(c) A small base camp
(d) A cache of modern weapons
14. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
(a) Poison stakes placed so that they are unseen until they scratch the skin
(b) Vines rigged to pull a man into the air
(c) Trip wires and mines
(d) Trenches, spider holes for snipers, pangee traps, and rows of sharp, angled stakes
15. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Quantico, VA
(b) NCO School
(c) Officers Basic School
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
2. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
3. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
4. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
5. What does Caputo almost trip over going through the high grass?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)