|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) New recruits from Alabama
(b) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(c) Older, war experienced non-coms
(d) Men he went to basic training with
2. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like a run down a ski slope
(b) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(c) Like a falling brick
(d) Like standing in a high wind
3. How do the Marines return to base camp?
(a) Wagons pulled by water buffalo take them back.
(b) A truck convoy picks them up.
(c) They wait for morning and go by helicopter.
(d) They have to march all the way back.
4. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
(b) He suspects an ambush.
(c) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(d) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
5. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(b) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(c) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(d) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
6. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
(a) Early morning
7. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They go on an aircraft carrier.
(b) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
(c) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
(d) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
8. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) NCO School
(c) Officers Basic School
(d) Quantico, VA
9. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(b) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(c) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(d) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
10. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That is because of political infighting.
(d) That some general has a loose screw.
11. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
(a) A prefab building with airconditioning
(b) A dugout with sandbag walls and a bamboo roof
(c) A water-soaked tent with makeshift furniture
(d) A revamped box car
12. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(b) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
(c) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(d) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
13. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(b) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(c) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(d) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
14. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
(a) He doesn't want to know a name he can not pronounce.
(b) He doesn't want to have to explain to the boy's family.
(c) He does not want to think of him as a person but as a dead enemy.
(d) He won't have to fill out a lot of paperwork.
15. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
(a) Hatred for everything and everyone around you
(c) Problems remembering specific things
Short Answer Questions
1. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
2. What do they experience on their first night?
3. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
4. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
5. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)