|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The telephone operators
(b) The chaplains
(c) The prostitutes
(d) The messhall cooks
2. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
(a) Sounds of combat in the distance
(b) Total silence that is eerily unreal
(c) Roar of reconnaisance planes flying over
(d) Deceptive sounds that keep everyone on edge
3. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(b) How frightened she looks.
(c) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(d) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
4. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Reading field manuals
(b) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
(c) Getting a tour of the area
(d) Looking for a place to put their tents
5. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
(a) That they would all be killed.
(b) That it was just another drill.
(c) That they could win the war alone.
(d) That they were outnumbered by the enemy.
6. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
(b) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(c) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(d) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
7. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
(b) Gin Rummy
8. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
(a) That there is never enough time to relax.
(b) That nine-tenths of the time is waiting for the other one-tenth to happen.
(c) That the Viet Cong ha plants in his platoon.
(d) That there would be days when there is no fighting.
9. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
(a) A trim Marine ready for combat
(b) Tall and gangly with big hands and feet
(c) Overweight belly hanging over his belt and a large head
(d) Old and about ready for retirement
10. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Dysentary for three days
(b) Denial of any further liberty
(c) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(d) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
11. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(b) Asleep in their quarters
(c) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
(d) On leave in Tokyo
12. At what age does Philip Caputo enlist in the Marine Corps?
13. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
(a) Probable brain damage
(c) Damaged immune system
14. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
(a) The muddy colored river
(b) The vietnamese villages
(c) The Cordellia
(d) The orange smoke of artillery
15. What does Caputo call the training for war?
(a) The last torture
(b) The calm before the storm
(c) A little bit of hell
(d) A subtle kind of mind control
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they learn about military plans in the bush?
2. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
3. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
4. What do they experience on their first night?
5. What is the misconception the platoon has when they are deployed to Vietnam?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)