|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
(a) He thinks Marines have to be too tough.
(b) That is the way he is; he really loves this company.
(c) He has no patience for stupidity.
(d) He never could stand the sight of blood.
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(b) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
(c) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(d) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(b) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(c) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
(d) It is the detachment of unreality.
4. What is Big Ivan?
(a) The radio communications system needed for orders on the combat
(b) The radio code name for the battery of howitzers used ahead of the troop movement into combat
(c) The general who is overseeing the troop movement into combat
(d) The squadron of helicopters that will take the troops into combat
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
(a) Like Hannibal crossing the Alps.
(b) Nothing like the practice attacks at Quantico
(c) Like a snake with two heads
(d) Like a perfect military maneuver
6. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The prostitutes
(b) The telephone operators
(c) The messhall cooks
(d) The chaplains
7. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The number of enemy corpses
(b) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(c) The cessation of sniper fire
(d) The cooperation of the ARVN
8. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
(a) Men who caused him the most grief
(b) Men who either died or were severely wounded in combat
(c) Men with whom he played poker and drank beer
(d) Men who always followed his orders to the letter
9. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
(a) Deceptive sounds that keep everyone on edge
(b) Roar of reconnaisance planes flying over
(c) Total silence that is eerily unreal
(d) Sounds of combat in the distance
10. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
(a) Giao-Tri, the village they had destroyed
(b) They have to recross the muddy river
(c) The small camp where they found the documents
(d) They pass through the LZ which has been destroyed
11. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
(a) Two Marines are slightly wounded and a third is critical.
(b) Two Marines are slightly wounded and others fall to the sun.
(c) No one is hit by enemy fire but six men have heatstroke.
(d) One more Marine is killed and several have a fever.
12. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
(b) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
(c) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
(d) That it will actually be one of their own men.
13. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(b) He must buy them one drink.
(c) He must pay them up front for their services.
(d) He must go shower.
14. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
(a) Quantico, VA
(b) Camp Pendleton, CA
(c) Fort Hood, TX
(d) Ft. Bragg, NC
15. What is the real resistance walking from the L to the Vietnamese village?
(a) Farmers armed with pitchforks
(b) Constant sniper fire
(c) Muddy rice paddies
(d) The land, the sun, and the jungle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
2. What are Vietnamese children doing as the Marine trucks pass through the village called Dogpatch?
3. A book by what author is Caputo trying to read while waiting at the outpost on top of a hill?
4. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
5. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)