|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
(a) That there would be days when there is no fighting.
(b) That the Viet Cong ha plants in his platoon.
(c) That there is never enough time to relax.
(d) That nine-tenths of the time is waiting for the other one-tenth to happen.
2. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
(a) Dozens of B-52 bombers land to rearm.
(b) A private is killed by friendly fire.
(c) A dog is blown up as is a sandbag between two men in a foxhole.
(d) An open attack is launched by the Viet Cong.
3. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
(b) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(c) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(d) He suspects an ambush.
4. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
(b) He changes a captain's orders.
(c) He lights up a cigarette.
(d) He orders a retreat.
5. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(b) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
(c) Dysentary for three days
(d) Denial of any further liberty
6. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(b) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
(c) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(d) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
7. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(b) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(c) How frightened she looks.
(d) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
8. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to shout orders to his men
(b) Not to lead a forced march
(c) Not to light up a cigarette
(d) Not to stand up and give arm signals
9. What do they learn about military plans in the bush?
(a) Their Quantico training has really paid off.
(b) How to avoid surprise.
(c) Nothing ever happens according to plan.
(d) Why there are always contingencies.
10. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
(a) Trip wires and mines
(b) Vines rigged to pull a man into the air
(c) Poison stakes placed so that they are unseen until they scratch the skin
(d) Trenches, spider holes for snipers, pangee traps, and rows of sharp, angled stakes
11. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
(a) Ft. Bragg, NC
(b) Camp Pendleton, CA
(c) Fort Hood, TX
(d) Quantico, VA
12. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
(a) Military protocol, military dress, military jargon, and Marine Corps traditions.
(b) Use of new technology, making homemade weapons, and disarming women combatants.
(c) Physical exercize, recommended reading, and filing of paperwork.
(d) Survival skills, Marine history, rules and regulations, weaponry, and how to kill.
13. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
(b) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(c) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
(d) He comes down with malaria and dies.
14. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Hide and ambush
(b) Advance and wait
(c) Hit and run
(d) Search and destroy
15. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They do hours of calisthenics.
(b) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(c) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
(d) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
2. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
3. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
4. Why throw a grenade instead of firing a rifle in the dark?
5. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)