|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Dysentary for three days
(b) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(c) Denial of any further liberty
(d) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
2. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
(a) The Americans are always outnumbered.
(b) It is another way of saying nowhere.
(c) They have to suppose that any Vietnamese is a VC.
(d) The VC know all the secrets of the jungles and tall grasses.
3. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
(a) The crash of a Marine helicopter
(b) Watching one of his men shot and killed by a sniper
(c) A visit to the field hospital
(d) An outbreak of malaria
4. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
(b) Getting a tour of the area
(c) Looking for a place to put their tents
(d) Reading field manuals
5. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) NCO School
(b) Quantico, VA
(c) Officers Basic School
(d) Washington, D.C.
6. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
(a) He doesn't want to know a name he can not pronounce.
(b) He won't have to fill out a lot of paperwork.
(c) He does not want to think of him as a person but as a dead enemy.
(d) He doesn't want to have to explain to the boy's family.
7. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
8. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
(a) That they were outnumbered by the enemy.
(b) That it was just another drill.
(c) That they would all be killed.
(d) That they could win the war alone.
9. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
(a) He has no patience for stupidity.
(b) He thinks Marines have to be too tough.
(c) He never could stand the sight of blood.
(d) That is the way he is; he really loves this company.
10. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(b) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
(c) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(d) They all have the same tattoos.
11. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
(a) Yes, but he is too stunned to know what to do.
(b) No, he calls the OD to make sure.
(c) Yes, he runs to the base to start packing.
(d) No, he ignores it and goes on drinking.
12. A book by what author is Caputo trying to read while waiting at the outpost on top of a hill?
(b) Henry Miller
(c) James Joyce
13. What happens for about twenty-five of the men?
(a) They are put on report for mistakes they made.
(b) They are trucked to Danang for liberty.
(c) They fall ill from dengu fever.
(d) They are the first to get medical exams for tropical diseases.
14. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(b) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
(c) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(d) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
15. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) Men he went to basic training with
(b) New recruits from Alabama
(c) Older, war experienced non-coms
(d) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
2. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
3. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
4. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
5. How do the Marines return to base camp?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)