|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
(b) Dysentary for three days
(c) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(d) Denial of any further liberty
2. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(b) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(c) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(d) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
3. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
(a) Ambush is murder and murder is fun!
(b) She won't do it but her sister will!
(c) Remember the Alamo!
(d) This is my rifle and this is my gun!
4. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting enough sleep
(b) Drinking and partying
(c) Getting the approval of his superiors
(d) Getting a Washington desk job
5. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) They have no time to drink a Coke.
(b) They do not want to deprive the children.
(c) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
(d) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
6. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like a run down a ski slope
(b) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(c) Like standing in a high wind
(d) Like a falling brick
7. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(b) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
(c) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(d) They all have the same tattoos.
8. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The telephone operators
(b) The messhall cooks
(c) The chaplains
(d) The prostitutes
9. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
(a) Physical exercize, recommended reading, and filing of paperwork.
(b) Survival skills, Marine history, rules and regulations, weaponry, and how to kill.
(c) Use of new technology, making homemade weapons, and disarming women combatants.
(d) Military protocol, military dress, military jargon, and Marine Corps traditions.
10. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(b) He must go shower.
(c) He must buy them one drink.
(d) He must pay them up front for their services.
11. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
(b) Getting a tour of the area
(c) Reading field manuals
(d) Looking for a place to put their tents
12. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
(a) He has no patience for stupidity.
(b) That is the way he is; he really loves this company.
(c) He never could stand the sight of blood.
(d) He thinks Marines have to be too tough.
13. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
(b) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
(c) The night becomes unbearably cold.
(d) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
14. Where is Caputo's first command?
(a) Seoul, Korea
(b) Danang, Vietnam
(c) Okinawa, Japan
(d) The Philippines
15. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
(a) Two Marines are slightly wounded and others fall to the sun.
(b) No one is hit by enemy fire but six men have heatstroke.
(c) Two Marines are slightly wounded and a third is critical.
(d) One more Marine is killed and several have a fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
2. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
3. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
4. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)