|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(b) He must buy them one drink.
(c) He must go shower.
(d) He must pay them up front for their services.
2. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(b) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
(c) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(d) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
3. What are Vietnamese children doing as the Marine trucks pass through the village called Dogpatch?
(a) Begging for candy and cigarettes
(b) Throwing rocks at the trucks
(c) Dancing on the edge of the dusty road
(d) Playing rock music on radios
4. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
(a) Praying for rain
(b) Running for cover
(c) Rescue civilians
(d) Looking for the LZ
5. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Officers Basic School
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Quantico, VA
(d) NCO School
6. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
(a) As boy scouts on a hike
(b) As knights in shining armor
(c) As frightened school kids
(d) As unprepared for combat
7. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
(b) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(c) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(d) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
8. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
(a) Find a battalion and destroy it.
(b) Look for snipers and take them out.
(c) Scare the Viet Cong into retreat.
(d) Set up an outpost.
9. What is the misconception the platoon has when they are deployed to Vietnam?
(a) The Marines are sure they will not become casualties.
(b) The Marines believe they can win the war single handedly.
(c) The Marines enter a war they think they cannot lose.
(d) The Marines think it will all be over in a week.
10. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
(a) Suicides and in-fighting
(b) Heavy artillery fire that came mostly at night
(c) Disorientation resulting in wandering from the camp
(d) Sunstroke and accidents, accidental discharges of weapons, and disease
11. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A woman carrying a baby
(b) A cache of modern weapons
(c) A small base camp
(d) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
12. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The chaplains
(b) The telephone operators
(c) The messhall cooks
(d) The prostitutes
13. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Search and destroy
(b) Hit and run
(c) Advance and wait
(d) Hide and ambush
14. Where is Caputo's first command?
(a) Okinawa, Japan
(b) The Philippines
(c) Danang, Vietnam
(d) Seoul, Korea
15. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
(a) Hatred for everything and everyone around you
(b) Problems remembering specific things
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
2. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
3. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
4. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
5. How many men are on a helicopter team?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)