|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The cooperation of the ARVN
(b) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(c) The number of enemy corpses
(d) The cessation of sniper fire
2. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
(a) Monster hangovers and Venereal Disease
(b) Bad cases of alcohol poisoning from cheap whiskey
(c) Denial of any further liberty
(d) Dysentary for three days
3. At what age does Philip Caputo enlist in the Marine Corps?
4. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
(a) Rescue civilians
(b) Looking for the LZ
(c) Running for cover
(d) Praying for rain
5. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
(a) Gin Rummy
6. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He lights up a cigarette.
(b) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
(c) He orders a retreat.
(d) He changes a captain's orders.
7. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
(a) He gets drunk and wakes up the next morning in a bargirl's room.
(b) He has one drink and leaves before things get out of hand.
(c) He drinks the Aussies under the table.
(d) He ends up having to pay for the drinks.
8. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
(a) The Vietnamese Ruff-Puffs on leave
(b) The local police
(c) The whores called Boom-Boom girls
(d) The fruit venders
9. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
(a) It becomes synonymous with the war.
(b) It reminds them of Okinawa.
(c) It becomes symbolic of weariness.
(d) It is situated like the training villages of Quantico.
10. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
(a) Charlie Ridge
(b) Elephant butte
(c) Alpha Range
(d) Phanom Phen
11. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
(b) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
(c) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(d) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
12. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Reading field manuals
(b) Looking for a place to put their tents
(c) Getting a tour of the area
(d) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
13. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
(a) Old and about ready for retirement
(b) A trim Marine ready for combat
(c) Overweight belly hanging over his belt and a large head
(d) Tall and gangly with big hands and feet
14. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
(a) They are left to beg on the streets.
(b) They are put up in retirement homes.
(c) They take desk jobs in their headquarters.
(d) They are usually shot.
15. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Search and destroy
(b) Hide and ambush
(c) Hit and run
(d) Advance and wait
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
2. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
3. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
4. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
5. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)