|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
(a) A vicious, mud-bound manhunt
(b) Like a surreal track meet
(c) As a regular forward march
(d) A joyous chase
2. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
(a) He ends up having to pay for the drinks.
(b) He drinks the Aussies under the table.
(c) He has one drink and leaves before things get out of hand.
(d) He gets drunk and wakes up the next morning in a bargirl's room.
3. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
(a) The statement that one should not be afraid of the jungle.
(b) The remark that the jungle is only in Africa.
(c) The suggestion that the enemy could not advance in the jungle.
(d) The idea that the jungle is only trees.
4. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
(a) The junior officers are all given new commands.
(b) The food improves with better suply lines.
(c) The plan changes from defensive to offensive.
(d) More work is done during the night than in the day.
5. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
(b) They do not want to deprive the children.
(c) They have no time to drink a Coke.
(d) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
6. How many men are on a helicopter team?
7. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(b) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(c) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
(d) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
8. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(b) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
(c) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(d) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
9. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
(a) Phanom Phen
(b) Alpha Range
(c) Charlie Ridge
(d) Elephant butte
10. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
(a) They are a group of strangers and misfits.
(b) They are all uneducated and street fighters.
(c) As a highly polished fighting machine that needed no training.
(d) As men who enlist, train and travel together from the beginning.
11. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
(a) They have to recross the muddy river
(b) They pass through the LZ which has been destroyed
(c) Giao-Tri, the village they had destroyed
(d) The small camp where they found the documents
12. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(b) That some general has a loose screw.
(c) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(d) That is because of political infighting.
13. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
(b) On leave in Tokyo
(c) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(d) Asleep in their quarters
14. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
(a) Back up the hill to retrieve his belongings.
(b) To battalion HQ for a briefing.
(c) Back to Danang for a 2-day liberty.
(d) To the officers mess to get something to eat.
15. In the evening, why are the peasant girls rushing down the road to their village?
(a) they are frightened by the American Marines.
(b) The Viet Cong regularly passes that way in the darkness.
(c) The rule is that Vietnamese outside after curfew are considered Viet Cong.
(d) They cannot find their way after dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
2. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
3. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
4. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
5. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)