|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
(a) Problems remembering specific things
(b) Hatred for everything and everyone around you
2. How do the Marines return to base camp?
(a) A truck convoy picks them up.
(b) They wait for morning and go by helicopter.
(c) They have to march all the way back.
(d) Wagons pulled by water buffalo take them back.
3. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
(a) Overweight belly hanging over his belt and a large head
(b) Old and about ready for retirement
(c) Tall and gangly with big hands and feet
(d) A trim Marine ready for combat
4. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
(a) Like a perfect military maneuver
(b) Like a snake with two heads
(c) Nothing like the practice attacks at Quantico
(d) Like Hannibal crossing the Alps.
5. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
(a) Dozens of B-52 bombers land to rearm.
(b) A private is killed by friendly fire.
(c) A dog is blown up as is a sandbag between two men in a foxhole.
(d) An open attack is launched by the Viet Cong.
6. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To abolish Communism in the world
(b) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
(c) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
(d) To bolster the American economy
7. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
(a) Fort Hood, TX
(b) Camp Pendleton, CA
(c) Ft. Bragg, NC
(d) Quantico, VA
8. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That some general has a loose screw.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(d) That is because of political infighting.
9. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(b) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(c) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(d) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
10. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
(a) Deceptive sounds that keep everyone on edge
(b) Roar of reconnaisance planes flying over
(c) Sounds of combat in the distance
(d) Total silence that is eerily unreal
11. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That it will actually be one of their own men.
(b) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
(c) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
(d) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
12. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
(b) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
(c) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(d) He comes down with malaria and dies.
13. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
(a) Look for snipers and take them out.
(b) Set up an outpost.
(c) Find a battalion and destroy it.
(d) Scare the Viet Cong into retreat.
14. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
(a) The RFs often clear the wrong field because of communication problems.
(b) There are just too many to find all of them.
(c) The RFs lack the necessary equipment to do the job right.
(d) Either they are lazy or Viet Cong who had inflitrated them, leave the mines in place.
15. How does Caputo describe the Viet Cong division he first becomes aware of by looking at a site map, a map showing positions of allies and enemy in the field.
(a) Instead of an insurgency, it is an attack force.
(b) It is situated in places unseen in the daylight.
(c) It is poorly organized but almost invisible.
(d) Instead of a phantom sniper, it is a whole division of phantoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
2. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
3. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
4. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
5. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)