|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
(a) Vines rigged to pull a man into the air
(b) Trenches, spider holes for snipers, pangee traps, and rows of sharp, angled stakes
(c) Trip wires and mines
(d) Poison stakes placed so that they are unseen until they scratch the skin
2. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
(b) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(c) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(d) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
3. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
(b) To bolster the American economy
(c) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
(d) To abolish Communism in the world
4. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
(b) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
(c) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
(d) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
5. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Asleep in their quarters
(b) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(c) On leave in Tokyo
(d) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
6. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(b) He must buy them one drink.
(c) He must pay them up front for their services.
(d) He must go shower.
7. How do the Marines return to base camp?
(a) They wait for morning and go by helicopter.
(b) They have to march all the way back.
(c) Wagons pulled by water buffalo take them back.
(d) A truck convoy picks them up.
8. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
(a) They hear the news and do not want to be found.
(b) They had gone on a night training hike.
(c) It is Sunday and they are all over the island.
(d) Many of them had gone AWOL.
9. Where is Caputo's first command?
(a) Okinawa, Japan
(b) Seoul, Korea
(c) The Philippines
(d) Danang, Vietnam
10. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
(a) Praying for rain
(b) Looking for the LZ
(c) Running for cover
(d) Rescue civilians
11. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
(a) He ends up having to pay for the drinks.
(b) He gets drunk and wakes up the next morning in a bargirl's room.
(c) He has one drink and leaves before things get out of hand.
(d) He drinks the Aussies under the table.
12. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
(b) Early morning
13. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
(a) That there would be days when there is no fighting.
(b) That the Viet Cong ha plants in his platoon.
(c) That there is never enough time to relax.
(d) That nine-tenths of the time is waiting for the other one-tenth to happen.
14. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A small base camp
(b) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(c) A woman carrying a baby
(d) A cache of modern weapons
15. What is the first offensive mission?
(a) Search and destroy
(b) Advance and wait
(c) Hide and ambush
(d) Hit and run
Short Answer Questions
1. In the evening, why are the peasant girls rushing down the road to their village?
2. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
3. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
4. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
5. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)