|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Vietnamese children doing as the Marine trucks pass through the village called Dogpatch?
(a) Playing rock music on radios
(b) Dancing on the edge of the dusty road
(c) Throwing rocks at the trucks
(d) Begging for candy and cigarettes
2. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
(a) To bolster the American economy
(b) To get control of Vietnam's oil supply
(c) To establish a permanent military base in Vietnam
(d) To abolish Communism in the world
3. Where is Caputo's first command?
(a) Okinawa, Japan
(b) The Philippines
(c) Danang, Vietnam
(d) Seoul, Korea
4. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(b) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(c) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
(d) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
5. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
(a) No matter how many you see, it never diminishes in effect.
(b) After experiencing many deaths, the impact of one death diminishes.
(c) One developes a sense of better him than me.
(d) After so long a time, it has no significance at all.
6. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
(a) They pass through the LZ which has been destroyed
(b) Giao-Tri, the village they had destroyed
(c) They have to recross the muddy river
(d) The small camp where they found the documents
7. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
(a) Damaged immune system
(b) Probable brain damage
8. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(b) King's "I have a dream" speech.
(c) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
(d) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
9. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
(b) He suspects an ambush.
(c) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(d) He does not want combat going up a hill.
10. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
(a) Go after him and risk an ambush or turn around and go back.
(b) Assume the VC is dead or wait and watch for some movement.
(c) Go around the bend himself or send a volunteer.
(d) Call for air cover or send a RP scout in to take a look.
11. In the evening, why are the peasant girls rushing down the road to their village?
(a) The rule is that Vietnamese outside after curfew are considered Viet Cong.
(b) They cannot find their way after dark.
(c) The Viet Cong regularly passes that way in the darkness.
(d) they are frightened by the American Marines.
12. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) The night becomes unbearably cold.
(b) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
(c) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
(d) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
13. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting the approval of his superiors
(b) Getting enough sleep
(c) Drinking and partying
(d) Getting a Washington desk job
14. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The number of enemy corpses
(b) The cessation of sniper fire
(c) The cooperation of the ARVN
(d) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
15. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
(a) He doesn't want to have to explain to the boy's family.
(b) He does not want to think of him as a person but as a dead enemy.
(c) He won't have to fill out a lot of paperwork.
(d) He doesn't want to know a name he can not pronounce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they hear about right away?
2. What is the real resistance walking from the L to the Vietnamese village?
3. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
4. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
5. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)