|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
(a) As unprepared for combat
(b) As frightened school kids
(c) As knights in shining armor
(d) As boy scouts on a hike
2. What is the real resistance walking from the L to the Vietnamese village?
(a) Farmers armed with pitchforks
(b) The land, the sun, and the jungle
(c) Constant sniper fire
(d) Muddy rice paddies
3. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(b) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
4. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
(a) He comes down with malaria and dies.
(b) He is hit by a sniper when he gets out of his foxhole.
(c) He is laying wire where there are mines that had not been removed.
(d) Walking across the airstrip, he is hit by a helicopter.
5. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) King's "I have a dream" speech.
(b) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
(c) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(d) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
2. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
3. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
4. What do they experience on their first night?
5. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)