|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(b) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(c) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(d) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
2. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The messhall cooks
(b) The prostitutes
(c) The chaplains
(d) The telephone operators
3. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
(b) He will never get to see military action.
(c) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
(d) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
4. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
(b) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
(c) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
(d) The night becomes unbearably cold.
5. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(b) They do hours of calisthenics.
(c) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
(d) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
2. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
3. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
4. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
5. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)