|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do you describe Ralston's video by Thursday in the canyon?
2. At the bottom of a rappel, what does he find?
3. More than the pain in Ralston's arm, what bothers him on his hike out of the canyon?
4. What location description is given to the dispatcher to describe Ralston's most likely whereabouts?
5. Once rescued and stabilized, where does Ralston meet his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ralston survive a night outside in a whiteout storm?
2. What characteristics of Ralston returns once safe in the helicopter and hospital?
3. Describe common themes in Ralston's memories.
4. How does Ralston's trances help him?
5. How does Emery County know to send a helicopter even before they find Ralston?
6. If Ralston knows how to successfully amputate his arm days earlier, does the outcome be the same or different? How come?
7. How does Donna react to Brian's initial phone call? How does her reaction compare to Ralston's characteristics?
8. Summarize the two hikers' weekend after they leave Ralston in the canyon, right before his entrapment. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
9. What happens after the amputation that eventually leads Ralston to the helicopter?
10. What does Ralston realize about his arm that causes him to panic and wildly thrash around trying to free himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one chapter of "Between a Rock and a Hard Place". Describe the chapter's tone and pace. Discuss why Ralston sets this tone and pace and what purpose it serves the reader. Consider the placement of the chapter in the book, the purpose of the chapter, and what Ralston is feeling.
Essay Topic 2
Research Aron Ralston's current life. What do you expect to find? Are your expectations met? Are there any surprises? What is the same or different about his life before and after his entrapment?
Essay Topic 3
Compare at least five stories Ralston tells of his past climbs. What patterns are seen in Ralston's behavior? His decisions? His climb selections? How he deals with each situation?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)