|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about his last trance compared to all the other previous trances?
2. In an effort to free himself once more, what does Ralston successfully do on the fourth day?
3. What unusual act does Ralston try with his lip balm?
4. What do the mosquitoes indicate to Ralston?
5. How does Ralston use his rope bag to keep warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics of Ralston returns once safe in the helicopter and hospital?
2. Summarize the two hikers' weekend after they leave Ralston in the canyon, right before his entrapment. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
3. As time continues in the canyon, what does Ralston's water supply mean to him?
4. Summarize Brad and Leah's weekend after leaving Ralston near Mount Sopris. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
5. What does Ralston realize about his arm that causes him to panic and wildly thrash around trying to free himself?
6. If Ralston knows how to successfully amputate his arm days earlier, does the outcome be the same or different? How come?
7. Once Ralston is missing, how does his friends handle the situation?
8. How does Ralston survive a night outside in a whiteout storm?
9. According to Ralston's perspective, what is happening to time?
10. What is Ralston's agenda between leaving his house on Spruce Street on Thursday and the Saturday he becomes trapped in the canyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research near death experiences. Choose one and compare and contrast the person's life before and after the event. Then compare and contrast their changes to Ralston's changes. Are there similarities and differences amongst people who experience near deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Compare at least five stories Ralston tells of his past climbs. What patterns are seen in Ralston's behavior? His decisions? His climb selections? How he deals with each situation?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Betty Darr and Aron Ralston's role in other people's lives.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)